BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-08-2018, 01:24 AM   #1
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

new oil cooler, more limp mode

Hey guys,
I’v been driving my car on track for the past 3 years during our winter season. I have the following engine mods
- Akra evolution + down pipe
- Forge FMIC
- ER Charge pipe
- K&N air filers
- Tune by PP Performance

Overall power is around 350whp. I haven’t been experiencing problems while tracking except for high oil temp commonly known in n54 engines so I either pit stop or go for a cool lap, which brings me to my main subject. I went for oil cooler upgrade from Dinan. The fit and finish was perfect. However once I have fitted and start tracking, I keep getting limp mode after literally 2 hot laps around 3 - 5 mins which I haven’t’ been experiencing before the oil cooler. I pit stop, let the car cool down, turn off the car, turn it back on again and car goes back to normal. I then go back to track and again same story. It happened to me twice in 2 different track days.
The error code was “P30FE” and appears to be over boost related, so took it to a garage to check all the fitting, check all piping, checked if there is a boost leak and everything was ok. I even took it to the dealer for normal service checkup and oil change and they also could suspect any problem with my car.
Can someone help me with the problem I am having. Is it tune related, or car is not calibrated enough with the new oil cooler, or any other things related…
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

It the oil radiator bigger in the Dinan kit? if so, did you add more oil?
What oil temps are you seeing on the gauge? What grade of oil are you using?
      06-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Shooto82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
It the oil radiator bigger in the Dinan kit? if so, did you add more oil?
What oil temps are you seeing on the gauge? What grade of oil are you using?

It the oil radiator bigger in the Dinan kit?
yes,
Specifications Total Volume Stock: 9.5 oz. / Total Volume Dinan: 19 oz.
Stock Surface Area: 45 sq./in. / Dinan Surface Area: 67.5 sq./in.
Stock Cooling Tubes: 10 / Dinan Cooling Tubes: 23
Stock Tube Length: 90 in. / Dinan Tube Length: 207 in.
Stock Tube Area: 112.5 sq./in. / Dinan Tube Area: 414 sq./in.
if so, did you add more oil?
if you refereeing to engine oil capacity, I didn't add more , went for stock capacity around 6.5 liters

What oil temps are you seeing on the gauge?
with the Dinan oil cooler I barely went above 120C/250F

What grade of oil are you using?
5W-30
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I don't see how the overboost code could be related to the oil cooler which seems to be working perfectly. Make sure the engine oil reads full. While the oil cooler and piping have a larger capacity, it may not all drain when changing oil, so the 6.5L may be correct, but always verify full before driving.

The code you are getting seems to be a coincidence. Have you taken logs while at the track to send to your tuner? That would be the next best step.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooto82 View Post
It the oil radiator bigger in the Dinan kit?
yes,
Specifications Total Volume Stock: 9.5 oz. / Total Volume Dinan: 19 oz.
Stock Surface Area: 45 sq./in. / Dinan Surface Area: 67.5 sq./in.
Stock Cooling Tubes: 10 / Dinan Cooling Tubes: 23
Stock Tube Length: 90 in. / Dinan Tube Length: 207 in.
Stock Tube Area: 112.5 sq./in. / Dinan Tube Area: 414 sq./in.
if so, did you add more oil?
if you refereeing to engine oil capacity, I didn't add more , went for stock capacity around 6.5 liters

What oil temps are you seeing on the gauge?
with the Dinan oil cooler I barely went above 120C/250F

What grade of oil are you using?
5W-30
I wonder what your oil pressure is at as you are moving more volume around. Unfortunately we don't have dipsticks anymore to check levels nor an oil pressure gauge but:
1. I would contact Dinan immediately and get clarification on how much, if any more oil should be added for the larger volume.
2. More tubes and volume could lead to a pressure drop . I believe our cars have oil sprayers under the pistons for example. I am sure Dinan thought about this but if you were tracking the car, I would still run 5w-40. 5W-30 is fine all around but when it breaks down, it becomes less than 5w-30. Overall temperature as cooled by the cooler is not the whole story. You also have hot spots in the engine that 5w-30 has to contend with. Your car is approved for LL-01 5W-40. It is right there in the owners manual. Try some Shell/Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Motul LL-01 5W-40, Castrol Syntec LL-01 %W-40 or some other BMW certified LL-01 5w-40.

This would be a simple thing to try out in the meantime, but I would definitely get in contact with Dinan and talk about oil pressure at the track with 5W-30.

3. I wonder if an OBD tool will report oil pressure while at temperature? If so, I would record oil pressure in your car and compare it to someone with a stock oil cooler to see what it is?
let us know how it goes so we can all learn from this.

Thank you
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
dturn37
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Curious to see the outcome with this, was planning on doing the Dinan oil cooler this summer. Keep us posted
Appreciate 1
bgexpress334.50
      06-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

It's probably not oil cooler / oil temp related at all. Your oil temps are now not exceeding 120-125 degrees. You might have dodgy boost solenoids or even a binding wastegate causing the overboost.
Appreciate 3
      06-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
It's probably not oil cooler / oil temp related at all. Your oil temps are now not exceeding 120-125 degrees. You might have dodgy boost solenoids or even a binding wastegate causing the overboost.
This. The two items are completely unrelated.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
      06-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
Shooto82
Private
Rep

I will just struggling hvg an answer from Dinan support . If anyone knows a direct contact email pls share it.
If no answer most likely I will retune my car but won’t be able to tell if the issue not going to occur again in next track evennt sometime in October . Our track season is off till winter in here
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
You mean 120-125 celsius,

OP -Pretty sure the code is unrelated, HOWEVER, I have seen injector/s go bad (leak) after upgraded charge pipe and DV install. BMW and the butterfly effect. maybe there was another underlying issue and now it's more prevalent after the cooler install. Are you driving it harder?
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I've been running the Dinan cooler for 4 years with no problems; I would look for your problem elsewhere.

As to the Dinan cooler make sure that the hoses do not rub or the housing will fray; I ended up using different brackets to keep everything stable. Also, since the cooler is longer I opened up the inner fender liner some more to make it more efficient.
Attached Images

06-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Hey guys.. I went for oil cooler upgrade from Dinan. The fit and finish was perfect. However once I have fitted and start tracking, I keep getting limp mode after literally 2 hot laps around 3 - 5 mins which I haven’t’ been experiencing before the oil cooler.
What kind of engine oil are you using ? Viscosity and Brand. LL1 rated ?

IF you don't have a code reader... you need to get one. Even a simple one(<$60) like BMW Carly is good and pointing you in the right direction.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
You mean 120-125 celsius,

OP -Pretty sure the code is unrelated, HOWEVER, I have seen injector/s go bad (leak) after upgraded charge pipe and DV install. BMW and the butterfly effect. maybe there was another underlying issue and now it's more prevalent after the cooler install. Are you driving it harder?
The US likes being different but the rest of the world use the metric system OP is in Bahrain
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #14
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
TXmtrhed "Also, since the cooler is longer I opened up the inner fender liner some more to make it more efficient."

Like your attention to detail and craftsmanship.
      06-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #15
Shooto82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
What kind of engine oil are you using ? Viscosity and Brand. LL1 rated ?

IF you don't have a code reader... you need to get one. Even a simple one(<$60) like BMW Carly is good and pointing you in the right direction.

Dackel
Error code “P30FE” . I am using Shell 5-W30
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Error code “P30FE” . I am using Shell 5-W30

Have you seen this video ? Maybe check your vacuum lines too - under the valve cover/engine cover.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1095972

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695478

It really sounds like a boost leak to me. I would check all your charge pipes and intercooler hoses. Also your vacuum lines. IF your shop has a smoke machine... that would be the easiest way to track down a boost leak. Perhaps your shop took apart something when they installed your oil cooler. ?

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #17
lostkhan
Lieutenant
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 135i

reviving year old thread. Did you figure this one out? I'm having same issue. I still have stock oil cooler though.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 02:13 AM   #18
Shooto82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkhan View Post
reviving year old thread. Did you figure this one out? I'm having same issue. I still have stock oil cooler though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkhan View Post
Honestly didn't figure it out . The main purpose moving to bigger oil cooler to avoid limp mood from high oil temperature. My next mod is upgrading my turbo and track it by November . By then will be able to know if I'll still have the same problem
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #19
gotjnco
Cubano!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 & 2011 E82 1M

Quote:
Honestly didn't figure it out . The main purpose moving to bigger oil cooler to avoid limp mood from high oil temperature. My next mod is upgrading my turbo and track it by November . By then will be able to know if I'll still have the same problem
Do we have an update on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 01:55 AM   #20
Shooto82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjnco View Post
Quote:
Do we have an update on this?
Season ended back then and I upgraded the turbo with stage 3 custom tune. Since then I didn't get any limp mode sign. For the upcoming track season I upgrading the radiator to CSF. So this should even improve the engine cooling and hopefully I don't get any engine check.
Appreciate 0