BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
Jonesey
Rep
Drives: 135i

BT retrofit with combox vs MULF

Recently purchased 2011 135i for my wife. I Didn’t realize it did not have Bluetooth despite the controls for it on the steering wheel. I would really like to retrofit OEM Bluetooth so my wife can use her phone hands free. I have studied a thread about this retrofit on E90post http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=356638&page=5 and felt confident I could do this upgrade—I recently accomplished the auto-dim/Home Link mirror upgrade. The DIY instructions by McClane, ChuckD05 and others are excellent. The car McClane used in the DIY was the same as mine—2011 135i with Ipod/USB (6FL). I am acquiring the necessary parts and have a shop that will do the coding. I thought I had better see if I can get to the MULF—I did require assistance from BMW technician to get the FZD out in the mirror upgrade. When I got to the MULF I noticed it was slightly different from the one described in the DIY. After some research it appears that my car has the combox and not a MULF. It has 3 connectors on the front and a smaller 26 pin connector on the back unlike the MULF that has 2 connectors on the front and 36 pin connector on the back. My Vehicle options list does show S6VC--STEUERUNG COMBOX. Sorry so long an explanation—now to the questions:
1. Can the Bluetooth upgrade be accomplish with a combox and not MULF.
2. If so, is there a DYI for it.—I’ve looked but can’t’ find anything. Seems as though the Bluetooth antenna would be the same as with the MULF, but the microphone wiring would be different. Searching I found this chart labeled--Retrofitting MULF2 on Combox Media:
Combox MULF2HI
X34130 X14133M
1 Power T30 17
10 AUX GND 22
11 MIC BLNC 21
12 MIC 19
14 Ground 36
15 TEL Wake Up 33
22 AUX BLNC 23
23 AUX NF L 4
24 AUX NF R 5
25 MIC + 1

This would seem to indicate that the mic wires get pinned to 25,12,11 on the Combox connector vs 1,19,21 on the MULF. Is this a correct assumption?

3. Also, don’t know if coding with a combox will be different or even possible. The DIY for cars with MULF’s state S644 is added to the VO along with writing a new blank man file so the car updates. Is this the same coding that would be done in a vehicle with a combox?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 12:37 AM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

The combox is a bluetooth module and is superior to the MULF. Whats your vin number? Seems funny that a car with a combox doesnt have hands free...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Jonesey
Rep

Here are the specs and options.

Type code UN7C

Type 135I (USA)

Dev. series E88 ()

Line 1

Body type CABRIO

Steering LL

Door count 2

Engine N55

Cubical capacity 3.00

Power 225

Transmision HECK

Gearbox MECH

Colour SPACEGRAU METALLIC (A52)

Upholstery LEDER BOSTON 2/D1 KORALLROT (LWD1)

Prod. date 2010-12-17

Order options
No. Description
1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES

2MR M ALLOY WHEELS DOUBLESP. 261 M/MB

2TC SPORTS TRANSMISSION WITH DOUBLE CLU

2VB TYRE PRESSURE INDICATOR

249 MULTI-FUNCTION FOR STEERING WHEEL

337 M SPORT PACKAGE

4AS FINE-WOOD TRIM OPLAR GRAIN GREY

4NE BLOW-BY-HEATER

481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

502 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM

521 RAIN SENSOR

522 XENON LIGHT

524 ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS

534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING

540 CRUISE CONTROL

570 STRONGER ELECTRICITY SUPPLY

6FL USB-/AUDIO INTERFACE

6VC CONTROL COMBOX

655 SATELLITE RADIO

676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM

697 AREA-CODE 1

7XA M LEATH.STEERING WHEEL W.PADDLES/MULTI

704 M SPORT SUSPENSION

760 INDIVIDUAL HIGH-GLOSS SATIN CHROME

8SC COUNTRY SPEC. RELEASE OF TELESERVICE

8SP COP CONTROL

8TL DAYTIME LIGHTS FRONT AND REAR AKTIV

8TN DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS SELECTABLE B

840 HIGH SPEED SYNCHRONISATION

925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

Series options
No. Description
321 EXTERIOR PARTS IN BODY COLOR

473 ARMREST, FRONT

645 RADIO CONTROL US

663 RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL

823 HOT CLIMATE VERSION

845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING

850 ADD FUEL TANK FILLING FOR EXPORT

853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH

876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Pull out the front roof lights and see if there is a microphone behind there. If there is one (on the off chance) you need to modify your vehicle order, add option $644 (644) and recode your radio and combox (RAD2 and MEDIA modules)

Can you upload a picture of the combox including all the connections
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 12:26 AM   #5
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I have the same year 135i except mine shows:

6FL usb/audio interface
6VC combox
639 complete prep. cellular phone

I believe you may be able to get it working w/ coding but you may need the mic.

There are also aftermarket options which plug into the line in jack and include BT phone & stream music. In my 04 e60 I used to use the iSimple Blustream isbt52. It was a good simple unit & I was able to hide the wires behind the dash.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/isimple-...=1219059088112
      05-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
Jonesey
Rep

I am fairly certain I will need to add the Mic. My 135i is a convertible so the mic should be located in the top of the steering column—it is not. My plan is to attach the BT antenna and Microphone to the Combox and get it coded. If it is successful I will purchase the correct steering column trim piece and then route the mic to the correct location in the steering column—most likely by a professional stereo installer.

Here are pictures of the combox.
Front

Back

Picture of my 26 PIN connector unplugged from the combox.

As far as coding, I understand that I need to add S644—or should it be $644—to the Vehicle Order. Does this recode the radio and combox (RAD2 and MEDIA modules) or would this be a separate part of the coding?

Thanks for the information about the iSimple Bluestream device—I will use this if I am unsuccessful.

Thanks again for any instructions.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
Jonesey
Rep

BT Retrofit Success!!!

Just completed the Bluetooth retrofit on my 2011 135i. There were three steps in the upgrade. 1) Connect a Bluetooth antenna to the Combox. 2)Connect a Microphone to the Combox. 3) Coding to add $644 to the VO and recode the radio and combox. Getting the correct coding was my biggest concern, but it turned out to be the easiest part. I need to give a shout-out to Joe@TopGearSolutions over on the E90 forums for his help with the coding. He offers a remote coding option--all you need is a cable(he provieds it if needed) and laptop with internet connection. He does all the rest all from the comfort of your own garage. He is very knowledgeable--simple to complex coding--and was very easy to work with. All at a great price!! I still need to have the microphone routed to the steering wheel column--going to have a stereo installer do this for me.

This turned out to be a fairly simple upgrade that I am very happy with--thanks to these forums!!
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
Just completed the Bluetooth retrofit on my 2011 135i. There were three steps in the upgrade. 1) Connect a Bluetooth antenna to the Combox. 2)Connect a Microphone to the Combox. 3) Coding to add $644 to the VO and recode the radio and combox. Getting the correct coding was my biggest concern, but it turned out to be the easiest part. I need to give a shout-out to Joe@TopGearSolutions over on the E90 forums for his help with the coding. He offers a remote coding option--all you need is a cable(he provieds it if needed) and laptop with internet connection. He does all the rest all from the comfort of your own garage. He is very knowledgeable--simple to complex coding--and was very easy to work with. All at a great price!! I still need to have the microphone routed to the steering wheel column--going to have a stereo installer do this for me.

This turned out to be a fairly simple upgrade that I am very happy with--thanks to these forums!!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
rkl
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 e90 BMW X1 e84

Im doing this exact same thing on a e84. Been hunting through countless forums for more info.
This seems to be the best yet, So you confirm what pins you put the Mic into?
Also what values you recoded?

thanks!

Edit:
Have added Antenna already. And have coding cable software (comfortable with coding too)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #10
croconoster
Registered
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport E82

New member here. I have a 2009 135i e82 (Japan Import)

I have been looking online and i'm completely confused now. My 7 digit part of VIN is VM39329.

I have:

S609 - Navigation system, Professional
S640 - Preparation f tel.installation universal

I want to upgrade to bluetooth calling and bluetooth media streaming but not sure what I need for it. I have been using etkbmw.com as a guide. On the one diagram it says I need to get the "Basic hands-free unit, Bluetooth" in conjunction with ComBox, and another diagram says I need it in conjunction with "Charging electronics, hands-free".

So don't know exactly what I need. Can anyone assist me? What hardware do I need?
Appreciate 0