BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

05-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #111
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution80 View Post
^best to time the driving of the really good roads on a weekday

like this monday despite of the weather we barely had someone in front of us slowing us down - i like that

...and i would know two or three more shorter and longer mountain roads in my area
+1. Yup, that is what I was thinking too. Plus IF we all go together on the weekend in Kufstein... we could stay at the SchlossBlick Hotel again. We could go to that wicked sommerrodelbahn near Innsbruck and Andreas could show us some of those "little" Alpine Passes near the hotel. Maybe check out the old fortress that towers above Kufstein, Austria. Then on Monday we could drive to Trafoi, Italy(where Francesca's hotel is located at the base of Stelvio Pass) and have our fun up in the mountains.

I just thought I would throw this out there. IF everyone just wants to do Stelvio on Saturday and Sunday - we could just do that. Its all up to the group.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #112
Jean-Marc
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Valencia Orange

Driving the stelvio quite early on the morning, on a weekday would be ideal I think. could it be feasible to drive the stelvio on the monday morning, as the perfect conclusion of a memorable week end ? I am anyway open to any options :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #113
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I have to be back in Wiesbaden Monday night. Girlfriend's last day at work for the semester is Tuesday. :-(
      05-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #114
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc View Post
Driving the stelvio quite early on the morning, on a weekday would be ideal I think. could it be feasible to drive the stelvio on the monday morning, as the perfect conclusion of a memorable week end ? I am anyway open to any options :-)
I think we will drive Stelvio on Sat and Sunday. With some other passes thrown in. (any suggestions?) Then on Monday head on over to Kufstein for some more fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #115
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M539

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Well if there are plans for non-weekend-days, I can change from maybe to no. Simply because I am running out of vacation days this year

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #116
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I still think we should do the Stelvio drive on Saturday and Sunday (July 20th and 21st). Personally I plan on taking off Monday and Tuesday as well.

IF some (or all) of you want to join me to drive over to Kufstein(on Monday) that's fine. I think we can have a pretty darn good time what ever we all decide on doing. And keep in mind its not necessary to do it all.

I am still open to any input on when, what and where we should go to visit.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #117
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I'd like to do Kufstein over the weekend. I've seen Stelvio but couldn't make the last Austrian tour.
      05-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #118
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
Somebody interested in coming down thru the black forest and doing a pre-run over some of Switzerland finests passes on our way to the gathering?
Sounds interesting, R. Especially if we can leave from Belgium and 'Akra around' a bit on the German Autobahn too. For that trip to the South I will be alone inside my 1M, as my wife will be in Northern Italy at that time.

We had already scheduled to kick off our Summer vacation from 25 July onwards (everything is already booked). So Stelvio 2.0 might be an exquisite appetizer and perfect excuse to move over my 1M from Belgium to Northern Italy for the Summer. So yes, Dackel, you may add me to the Stelvio 2.0 list.

If my wife joins in at the Stelvio whereabouts (not sure yet though, except if this type of trip is also suitable for my 6 year old daughter), then we got (another) native Italian inside the group. However, most people in Trentino Alto Adige also speak German (especially the region ranging from the Austrian border until Bolzano/Bozen).

Monday 22 or Tuesday 23 July: if the weather is fine (almost a certainty during that time of the year and in that area), any interest and temptation to extend the Stelvio 2.0 trip southward for a trip around the fancy Garda Lake (Lago di Garda) ? Calmer roads during the week days than during the weekend. Leaving from Stelvio on Monday morning 22 for Garda Lake allows to visit the Garda Lake (round trip) the same day. But getting back from Garda Lake to Stelvio in the evening will be physically too tiring, I guess (especially if it's a hot day). More realistic to sleep over at Trento (ħ 160 km from Stelvio and ħ 45 min from Garda Lake) or Bolzano (ħ 105 km from Stelvio). This allows also to make relaxing stops at the Garda Lake to enjoy the magnificent scenery and shoot some postcard pictures - no need to rush. And from Trento or Bolzano you can also take the A22 Brennero highway passing the Austrian border, Innsbruck, Kufstein, Munich, etc.

Regarding the Garda Lake, check this post (for drooling purposes, of course ):
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=364.

Top Gear spent a 30 minutes episode on finding "the best road in the world" and put it personally to the test with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage N24, Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera and Porsche 911 GT3 RS. Big fun, as usual. Their conclusion: "Davos to Stelvio: the greatest driving road in the world" ("Stelvio: the cherry for the top of our cake" - "stunning" - "magnificent piece of road building" - "extraordinary road").
Check from 06:58 onwards in this video:

See also this TG climb of the 45 turns/hairpins on Stelvio with a 911: http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/tg-...e-stelvio-pass

If someone considers the Gross Glockner Pass – Hoch Strasse: see Dackel's in-depth report: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=1

Last edited by Artemis; 05-28-2013 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #119
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Sounds Good Luc. I was thinking of driving down on Thursday thru the Black Forrest . Have to see how Dack is getting this trip together.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #120
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Sounds Good Luc. I was thinking of driving down on Thursday thru the Black Forrest . Have to see how Dack is getting this trip together.
I can leave Thursday night after work if you'll be near Wiesbaden.
      05-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #121
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
I can leave Thursday night after work if you'll be near Wiesbaden.
I'm plan on leaving home bright and early so Wiesbaden is a no go for me
Gabe how far are you willing to travel on thursday night? Maybe we can meet somewhere south of the Black Forrest. Maybe ask Rick & Wade what their plans are? Who else is commin from our side?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #122
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
I just realized that Friday is my Furlough day so I can probably roll up on friday also or meet up someone on the way up there. Unless the Stuttgart gang can't roll on friday?
      05-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #123
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
It's a Furlough Friday summer for me as well. Not digging the pay cut but I could really use the time away from the office.
      05-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #124
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
+1. Yup, that is what I was thinking too. Plus IF we all go together on the weekend in Kufstein... we could stay at the SchlossBlick Hotel again. We could go to that wicked sommerrodelbahn near Innsbruck and Andreas could show us some of those "little" Alpine Passes near the hotel. Maybe check out the old fortress that towers above Kufstein, Austria. Then on Monday we could drive to Trafoi, Italy(where Francesca's hotel is located at the base of Stelvio Pass) and have our fun up in the mountains.
I just thought I would throw this out there. IF everyone just wants to do Stelvio on Saturday and Sunday - we could just do that. Its all up to the group.
Dackel
Sounds interesting. Carpe diem ! We're in for some entertainment.

Quote:
Sounds Good Luc. I was thinking of driving down on Thursday thru the Black Forrest. Have to see how Dack is getting this trip together.
Count me in.

Leaving from Belgium a couple of days before the weekend is OK for me. Let me know the time and place in due course of time (once you figured out the best options).

Maybe there will be more Belgian 1M cars than just ours. A 1M convoy heading south for this Treffen would be kinda cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe View Post
Tempted but a 20 hour drive from Stockholm.
Belgium might be too much 'off course' to the West for your journey to the South. But if you fancy the idea of a stop over in Belgium to catch some sleep, feel free to let me know. Guest room + secured closed parking available.
      05-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #125
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Looks like our Stelvio trip is shaping up quite nicely!

Here are two videos that give you a feel for what the Passo della Stelvio is like to drive... (sorry the vid quality and musis is pretty bad. I think we can do a much better job shooting our own videos this year! )

Both of these videos are driven from South to North. We will be driving it from North to South, though.

Our hotel can be seen at 4:02 (the big white house on the LEFT).

Ahhh those tunnels...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #126
Artemis
Rep

F458 Spider on the Stelvio.

Check the driver's conclusion @ 10:23-10:49

05-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #127
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Arrow Where to drive ???

Since we all will be driving from many hours away from Stelvio... I was thinking of doing something light on Saturday... maybe that sommerrodelbahn (luge) near Imst, Austria or maybe touring a castle? Then Sunday we can get down to biz and have ourselves a nice Alpine drive! I think we should drive up the Pass before it gets too crowded with Sunday drivers.

Is a five hour/300 km drive too long? Of course we will be stopping a lot for photo ops.

Name:  Stelvio 1AddictsRouteMap EDITED .jpg
Views: 104
Size:  88.7 KB
https://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=39...a4asxg&t=m&z=9

39029 Trafoi South Tyrol, Italy

Flüela Pass, Susch, Switzerland

Davos, Switzerland

Bergün, Switzerland

St. Moritz, Switzerland

Bernina Pass, 7710 Poschiavo, Switzerland

Bormio Province of Sondrio, Italy

39029 Trafoi South Tyrol, Italy (return to hotel)

Are there any other Passes we should drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
F458 Spider on the Stelvio.

Check the driver's conclusion @ 10:23-10:49
^^Thats a pretty cool video Luc and really gives you a feel for what Stelvio is all about.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #128
Artemis
Rep

Stelvio 2.0 Treffen =
      06-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #129
Hogsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

The whole idea and the dates of 20-21 July sound great to me. How do I sign up?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #130
Hogsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

In fact, I would be all for extending the dates of the trip to Monday and Tuesday should it be what the rest of the group decides we should go for.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #131
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogsmith View Post
The whole idea and the dates of 20-21 July sound great to me. How do I sign up?
Great! six "little" 1M's so far amongst a lot of heavy loaded 135's
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #132
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread