BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

BMW M: How to Drift part 2 - rear-wheel drive vs. all-wheel drive

Learn how to drift..

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
TI.3VOM73.50
      11-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Sawing at the wheel way too much ...
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Sawing at the wheel way too much ...
Yeah, although if the surface is uneven there will be a few adjustments necessary as you move onto a chunk of surface that's got more or less grip.

My main criticism is that the way he ends the drift - abruptly closing the throttle and centering the wheel - is not going to work in all cars on all surfaces. Try that on ice or snow in a RWD car with the driver aids turned off, and you'll be chasing that car all over the road trying to stop the oscillations. You need to back out of the throttle gradually and let the wheels roll until the slip angle is back to zero, countersteering as necessary.

Last edited by pennsiveguy; 11-13-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Yeah, although if the surface is uneven there will be a few adjustments necessary as you move onto a chunk of surface that's got more or less grip.

Throttle steer.
If you really want to impress me, learn how it's done properly. This is what I was practicing and showing off the last couple years on the ice. It just amazes people when you can make transitions (right to left) and increasing radius or decreasing radius turns without touching the steering wheel once. Just a dab of brake to shift weight and stab throttle to add wheel spin.

just a quick YT search. Just need to watch the first minute or so. Notice that the wheel isn't really needed. All foot brake and throttle.

Last edited by iminhell1; 11-13-2020 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Throttle steer.
If you really want to impress me, learn how it's done properly. This is what I was practicing and showing off the last couple years on the ice. It just amazes people when you can make transitions (right to left) and increasing radius or decreasing radius turns without touching the steering wheel once. Just a dab of brake to shift weight and stab throttle to add wheel spin.
Yep, that's the way I like to do it. There was a great article years ago in either Car & Driver or Road & Track. They wrote up a visit to the Lamborghini factory and a ride with one of the testers (Dario somebody, IIRC). They were amazed at how he drifted (prolly not the term they used) through every corner and that he never touched more than the bottom 1/3 of the steering wheel no matter what maneuver he was performing.

I've lived in the Upper Midwest all my life and I learned my first important lessons in driving back in high school, in snowy parking lots with a '76 Monte Carlo with Posi-Traction and big-lugged snow tires and a couple bags of sand in the trunk (and a tool box). Learned to read the condition of the surface and figure out how much traction I'd have available. Had a few close calls when you could have used my hiney-hole as a pencil sharpener, but I learned how to make the car an extension of myself. I still do "shitties" in snowy parking lots, I just have heated seats now. :-)
      11-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Throttle steer.

just a quick YT search. Just need to watch the first minute or so. Notice that the wheel isn't really needed. All foot brake and throttle.

That guy could deliver tofu on mountain roads
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

Nice