BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2007, 02:25 AM   #23
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I wonder why people seem to rail on only the 135i as being heavy when in reality it is lighter (and sometimes MUCH lighter) than some of its "performance car" contemporaries. Remember, this car is ~ 100 lbs less than the 07 350z GT, ~200 lbs less than the Mustang GT, and ~250 lbs less than the upcoming Evo X. I would say that considering it can probably seat 4 people better than all but the Evo, that is pretty good for how much (heavy) performance hardware it is packing.

The MX5 is an entirely different type of car. It is a much smaller car all around, has WAY less power, and has a much smaller list of luxory ammenities included....it is very basic inside, and very cramped compared to any BMW (z4 included). Not necesarily a bad thing, but it is pretty easy to see, just sitting in it, why it is so light. It obviosly does not need ~13.5 inch brakes in front with 6 piston calipers either so that helps and it doesn't have to deal with the stresses of 300 hp and 300 ft lb of torque on the drivetrain.

I am happy with ~3270 lbs for a 35k base in todays market , especially with one of the best 6 cylinder engines on the market, and aggresive suspension and brake tuning (if it is all that it is cracked up to be).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #24
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

My point in bringing the MX-5 into the conversation was not to say that the 1 series should weigh the same 2500 pounds, but to show that a car manufacturer can bring a model from one generation to the next without adding weight and still add some size, safety features and amenities without raising the price significantly (the NC MX-5 may be less well equipped than the 1 but it's better equipped than the NB series it replaces - and a LSD is available in its sport package, something the 1 can't provide). And calling the MX-5 "much smaller" than the 1 is somewhat of an overstatement - at 3990 mm long, it's 92% of the length of the 135.

It's obvious that with more advanced engineering and materials BMW could have given us a 1 coupe with the same amenities and even better performance weighing 200-300 pounds less than it does. The minimal weight difference up to the larger 335i makes that clear. But doing so might have eaten into that very fat BMW profit margin, so unlike Mazda they didn't push the envelope.
Appreciate 0