BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Akra Evo system sans DP's

I currently have the n55 mid pipe, and while that did change the sound enough for me to notice a difference. I am now looking for more... I want that touring car sound, that raw power sound. I know if I change my current setup, the only other one I would truly be happy with is the Akra Evo .There is no other allowed option except what I have now. I feel that the Akra and the 1M go hand and hand. Although I did acquire an n55 midpipe I am not one for mixing and matching of brands/ sections. I did I find a few used Evo systems @ some rather fair prices. But those of you who are out there, and have been through this already, and have made moves/ changes please do tell your tales and share the routes you took! I know there are at least of few of you out there that can relate
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009

Last edited by bmw13; 01-25-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

My 1M is getting the N55 mids + Akra Slip-On Line + carbon tips + wireless kit this weekend.

Deliberately keeping the OEM 1M downpipes (so no Akra Evolution Line) as I don't want no trouble with neighbors, cops, car control authorities and BMW warranty.

Different exhaust sound - no change in engine sound, but nevertheless: why does it spontaneously remind me of the BMW M3 roaring engine commercial ("Beast") ?

01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My 1M is getting the N55 mids + Akra Slip-On Line + carbon tips + wireless kit this weekend.

Deliberately keeping the OEM 1M downpipes (so no Akra Evolution Line) as I don't want no trouble with neighbors, cops, car control authorities and BMW warranty.

Different exhaust sound - no change in engine sound, but nevertheless: why does it spontaneously remind me of the BMW M3 roaring engine commercial ("Beast") ?

Isn't Akra Evo just the mids and rear, without dps which are optional? Anyway, you will like it, probably very much
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Isn't Akra Evo just the mids and rear, without dps which are optional?
That's correct, Oz.Gonna check out this great Belgian tunnel shortly (closed part measures almost 1770m with excellent sound reflection), as demonstrated by this F360 Modena with Stage 3 Capristo exhaust system:
      01-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
I just switched to Maddad / Akra slip-on w/ wireless. The stock dp's are still there, but are definitely my next target. The sound is great, don't get me wrong, but I'm used to an open exhaust note of a cammed V8. Akra is the perfect system if you need to be quiet but want it loud. I actually find the system to be quieter than stock when closed and cruising on the highway at 70 mph. And, yes, Texas highways do have some road noise. I'm looking forward to the system breaking/burning in.
2011 1M - VO Florida pick up 11/4/11 #554 of 740 - Sold
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 2
VRG_135836.50
seis-speed2426.00
      01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
That's correct, Oz.Gonna check out this great Belgian tunnel shortly (closed part measures almost 1770m with excellent sound reflection), as demonstrated by this F360 Modena with Stage 3 Capristo exhaust system:
Got to love the Italian opera
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Where did you find deals / the akra for sale used?

I'm sort if in the market myself....
      01-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
Mpro
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: AW 1M & other BMW's

Artemis,

I believe the Akra Slip-on with wireless doesn't get the EC approval here in Belgium (it's for the slip-on only)
Hereby an extract from the installation guide:
www.akrapovic.com
Figure 35
12. For optional Wireless kit: assemble the clamps and Valve Pipe onto the muffler’s inlet pipes, as shown (Figure 35, 36).
WARNING: use anti-seize copper paste on all clamps’ bolt and nut threads!
CAUTION: in case of combination of Slip-On and optional Wireless kit, the Akrapovič exhaust system EC type approval is not valid!

Is this correct? I really don't want any trouble with car control authorities in a few years...

I have the N55 mids too, but can't decide between Akra Slip-on + wireless and the Eisenmann Sport.
I really can't justify the extra price for the Akra, although I know it has the best quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep

Catted AR DP's + full Akra Evo .. check my profile and search for my thread on 2 short vids ..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
Catted AR DP's + full Akra Evo .. check my profile and search for my thread on 2 short vids ..
Have you had cel with the ar dp?
      01-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Have you had cel with the ar dp?
luckily no cel light for me .
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Artemis
Rep

"The Akra Flower Pot" versus "The Akra Wireless Kit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpro View Post
I believe the Akra Slip-on with wireless doesn't get the EC approval here in Belgium (it's for the slip-on only)
Hereby an extract from the installation guide:
www.akrapovic.com
Figure 35
12. For optional Wireless kit: assemble the clamps and Valve Pipe onto the muffler’s inlet pipes, as shown (Figure 35, 36).
WARNING: use anti-seize copper paste on all clamps’ bolt and nut threads!
CAUTION: in case of combination of Slip-On and optional Wireless kit, the Akrapovič exhaust system EC type approval is not valid!
Is this correct? I really don't want any trouble with car control authorities in a few years...
I have the N55 mids too, but can't decide between Akra Slip-on + wireless and the Eisenmann Sport.
I really can't justify the extra price for the Akra, although I know it has the best quality.
First, I am in no way affiliated to Akra.

The pages and figure numbers that you mention do not correspond with my information. You probably refer to page 14 featuring Figure 7 of the "Optional Wireless Kit for the BMW 1 Series M Coupe (type E82)" installation guide and to page 34 featuring Figure 27 of the "Slip-On, Evolution and optional Down Pipes for the BMW 1 Series M Coupe (type E82)" installation guide.

Just for the record: the Akra butterfly valve of the wireless kit is a circular movable blocking plate. In 'closed valve' mode it is in vertical position, impeding the exhaust fumes from accessing the circular outer pipes. When operating 'opened valve' mode' the butterfly flips/revolves over its axis to horizontal position, perfectly in the middle of the connecting pipe (so it does not disappear, but simply no longer impedes the exhaust fumes from exiting through the outer pipes).

Without the wireless kit, the outer pipes are not used (and will remain clean) and the exhaust sound seems to be even a little quieter than the OEM 1M exhaust sound whenever the engine is under load. That might be the reason why Akra got an EC Type approval (TüV) for the 1M Slip-On (http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapov...0e3943a60a.pdf) ...and also why those who don't opt for the wireless kit, in order to get the sporty sound on a permanent basis, grind off and remove the welded blocking plate from the connecting pipe (see the small connecting pipe on the left of Figure 27 on page 34 of the Slip-On installation guide and compare with the one featuring in Figure 7 on page 6 of the wireless installation guide). Of course the 'blocking plate removers' only use their car on a race track and in their private garden.

And that's what makes the wireless kit quite an interesting feature, as also hybris4u pointed out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
If I buy it's probably going to be Akra with N55 mid pipes and wireless. I want to have a "sleeper" mode where I go unnoticed. Then I want the wonderful sound when the right situations or attention is wanted. The OEM exhaust is too quiet if you don't accelerate hard and that is not the best way to get attention in many situations. Meaning in suburban areas etc. So for me the combo is what do make the whole deal interesting. I would not go for any exhaust where its always loud. Not the right profile for me. Close to 40 years old and family. We all have different profiles and needs at different times in life. If you asked me the same 10 years ago I would have said loud always! ;-)
Non-wireless ("The Akra Flower Pot" with the blocking plate [base] still intact, impeding exhaust fumes to exit the outer tail pipes which bypass the axle back muffler):
Name:  Akra_FlowerPot_01.jpg
Views: 7621
Size:  42.2 KB

Wireless (butterfly valve inside, operated at the touch of a button, to control whether exhaust fumes can also exit the outer tail pipes which bypass the axle back muffler):
Name:  Akra_Wireless_01.jpg
Views: 11697
Size:  41.1 KB

Accompanied with the Akra Slip-On package comes a technical document entitled "Street-legal component approval certificate" (nicely packed by Akra in a compact transparent plastic sleeve bag). If need be, this document can be shown to the police (if ever pulled over) or technical car control authorities, if specifically questioned about it. It might puzzle them for a moment and let you off the hook. Actually, they might even not know that you have a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde system. Of course when cops are around or you visit the technical control, you don't storm in with the valve open. So, ask yourself, don't you think that you will be more convincing if you can definitely demonstrate that you can keep the butterfly valve closed (and that you open the valve only when you're not on a public road ), than when you removed the blocking plate and you cannot demonstrate on the spot when caught red handed to quiet down the system (actually, you even attract their attention upon approach) ?

Moreover, if you opt for the wireless kit, you also still get the connecting pipe with welded blocking plate too. Let's simply nickname it "The Akra Flower Pot", because that's what it looks like. May come in handy in the future: if they ever order you to remove the wireless connecting pipe (butterfly valve), simply swap it with The Akra Flower Pot. All electr(on)ic wiring can remain on board. So everybody's happy. But afterwards don't forget to bring the wireless connecting pipe to the race track for a temporary re-swap with The Akra Flower Pot.

Fair and square: if you have the slightest hesitation whatsoever, keep everything 100% OEM stock on your 1M.

Preferred place for keeping/operating the wireless control button (discreet and easy to reach when you're on the race track - US 1M owners might eat their hearts out because they can only store their sun glasses in that spot) + you got the fringe benefit that there is an amber/orange cigarette lighter illumination surrounding the base of the button, creating some extra ambient atmosphere.

Name:  Akra_01.jpg
Views: 3006
Size:  15.5 KBName:  Akra_03.jpg
Views: 2995
Size:  15.8 KB

Akra butterfly valve closed (code white):
Name:  Akra_ValveClosed.jpg
Views: 3596
Size:  82.3 KB
Akra butterfly valve open (code red):
Name:  Akra_ValveOpen.jpg
Views: 4459
Size:  84.4 KB
Akra butterfly valve open (comparison with the inner exhaust tail pipe):
Name:  Akra_ValveOpen2.jpg
Views: 4302
Size:  102.4 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 03-03-2013 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Added pictures
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Accompanied with the Akra Slip-On package comes a technical document entitled "Street-legal component approval certificate" (nicely packed by Akra in a compact transparent plastic sleeve bag). If need be, this document can be shown to the police (if ever pulled over) or technical car control authorities, if specifically questioned about it. It might puzzle them for a moment and let you off the hook. Actually, they might even not know that you have a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde system. Of course when cops are around or you visit the technical control, you don't storm in with the valve open. So, ask yourself, don't you think that you will be more convincing if you can definitely demonstrate that you can keep the butterfly valve closed (and that you open the valve only when you're not on a public road ), than when you removed the blocking plate and you cannot demonstrate on the spot when caught red handed to quiet down the system (actually, you even attract their attention upon approach) ?
Are they documents there for the Evolution kit? I thought that would be good to have in my glove box.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #14
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Are they documents there for the Evolution kit? I thought that would be good to have in my glove box.
I doubt it. In all documents/info, the Akra company only refers to the "Slip-On Line" as street-legal (and they refer to the Slip-On with what I nicknamed "The Akra Flower Pot", which is an exhaust set-up that's even a little quieter than the stock 1M exhaust sound). The "Evolution Line" is in principle for 1Ms used on track.

If I were you, I would print this document: http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapov...0e3943a60a.pdf and keep it inside the car.

In principle it's of no use for the "Evolution Line", but maybe it could save the day for you, someday. Actually, you're better off being capable to show something to a cop when pulled over and questioned about the Akra, than left to your own devices with nothing at all. Doesn't cost you anything to keep the printout inside the car. Don't underestimate the technical knowledge of the highway police. It's their job. Quite some of them have a soft spot for ///M cars, which might be a benefit or a hazard. So a cop who's in the know might think "Si non è vero, è ben trovato" but still let you off the hook with an "Okay son, I may not say it, but I like your car. Your car files are OK. Gonna let you go ...this time." Not guaranteed though, because, as I said, it's their job. But, as always with so many things in life, being very polite, fair and cooperative during such encounters might contribute to some leniency/indulgence.
      01-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
I doubt it. In all documents/info, the Akra company only refers to the "Slip-On Line" as street-legal (and they refer to the Slip-On with what I nicknamed "The Akra Flower Pot", which is an exhaust set-up that's even a little quieter than the stock 1M exhaust sound). The "Evolution Line" is in principle for 1Ms used on track.

If I were you, I would print this document: http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapov...0e3943a60a.pdf and keep it inside the car.

In principle it's of no use for the "Evolution Line", but maybe it could save the day for you, someday. Actually, you're better off being capable to show something to a cop when pulled over and questioned about the Akra, than left to your own devices with nothing at all. Doesn't cost you anything to keep the printout inside the car. Don't underestimate the technical knowledge of the highway police. It's their job. Quite some of them have a soft spot for ///M cars, which might be a benefit or a hazard. So a cop who's in the know might think "Si non è vero, è ben trovato" but still let you off the hook with an "Okay son, I may not say it, but I like your car. Your car files are OK. Gonna let you go ...this time." Not guaranteed though, because, as I said, it's their job. But, as always with so many things in life, being very polite, fair and cooperative during such encounters might contribute to some leniency/indulgence.
Many thanks with this, but definitely useful in light of the law change here in Australia. We can do exhaust mods provided they comply with the Australian Standard with noise and we didn't have to have it certified up to April 30 this year. So, haven't that certificate of approval of a EU country definitely helps as they are stricter than here.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #16
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Many thanks with this, but definitely useful in light of the law change here in Australia. We can do exhaust mods provided they comply with the Australian Standard with noise and we didn't have to have it certified up to April 30 this year. So, having that certificate of approval of a EU country definitely helps as they are stricter than here.
Here's where the PDF currently features (January 2013): http://www.akrapovic.com/en/Automoti...roductId=11499

Please note that the document expressly refers to the "M-BM/T/4H" Akra product (1M Slip-On Line (Titanium)) and not to the "ME-BM/T/3" Akra product (1M Evolution Line (Titanium)). But as I said in my previous post: it's better to have something at hand than nothing at all.

Just for the record: the Akra website also features the following warning for those roaming the Californian roads:
----------
WARNING:
Please note that certain aftermarket exhaust systems may not comply with applicable California laws and regulations, and may therefore be prohibited for use on California highways or roads, or on roads or vehicles otherwise subject to emissions control requirements.
Akrapovič exhaust systems for automobiles and motorcycles mounted downstream of the catalytic converter (also known as “cat-back systems”) are considered “replacement parts” in California by the California Air Resources Board (CARB), and do not require an exemption or executive order from CARB to be sold in California. However, California prohibits the use of any aftermarket exhaust system that modifies, removes or replaces original equipment catalysts, unless CARB has issued an Executive Order as to such part or system.
Further, Akrapovič parts or exhaust systems used or intended for use on “racing vehicles” (i.e. a competition vehicle used exclusively for competition on closed-course circuits) do not require an exemption or Executive Order from CARB to be sold in California. However, such parts are prohibited from use on California public highways or roads, even if occasionally used “off-road.”​​
---------
      01-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Akra it is!

So believe it or not, there are three, including my own, 1M's on the same street all within 10 or so houses of one another. Both my neighbors have AW and I have BSM. So anyway, I learned one of my neighbors has the full Akra Evo system. I was not just fortunate enough to hear it from outside the vehicle, I went for a ride, and was able to really experience the whole RPM range in multiple gears. The sound is incredible and exactly what I am looking for! To best describe it, it is like giving your car that touring car race sound by the push of a button. And it is so clean sounding but absolutely roars! I have watched every Akra video from Alekshops video to Turner Motorpsorts video and although they give you the best idea of actually how the system sounds in person, neither video nor any video for that matter truly serves it the justice is deserves. In most videos it sounds so "tuner/ ricer" but it is exactly the opposite! It truly sounds like a street illegal touring car when in "Red, Thunder" mode. I soon learned the car was not stock either, but had AMS front mount, AFE Dual Cone, Forged Charge Pipe and DV, and GIAC flash. The car was unreal, it ran so nicely; it felt so strong and more importantly consistently strong!(Especially for FL weather/ heat!) I am sold on the exact set up, there car is truly amazing. But either way, wheter I decide to tune or not, The Akra wireless system is worth ever penny and I plan on getting one very soon!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740

Last edited by bmw13; 01-28-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #18
Mpro
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: AW 1M & other BMW's

Thanks Artemis for the info!
The ability to switch between silent and loud mode is the most attractive thing about the Akra exhaust.

No vid (and sounfd file) of your system?
Where did you get the Akra here in Belgium?
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Where did you get the Akra here in Belgium?
Sent you a PM.

Quote:
Thanks Artemis for the info!
The ability to switch between silent and loud mode is the most attractive thing about the Akra exhaust.
No vid (and sound file) of your system?
This definitely ain't me, and I don't know the precise setup of the 1M's in these videos (probably "Evolution Line", because that sounds raspier), but gives you some idea.

However, you should check IRL - you gotta move to groove...

01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
No vid (and sound file) of your system?
My 5-year old daughter is looking forward to getting "her Akra" too. Paper tips and without wireless kit...

01-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13
So believe it or not, there are three, including my own, 1M's on the same street all within 10 or so houses of one another. Both my neighbors have AW and I have BSM. So anyway, I learned one of my neighbors has the full Akra Evo system. I was not just fortunate enough to hear it from outside the vehicle, I went for a ride, and was able to really experience the whole RPM range in multiple gears. The sound is incredible and exactly what I am looking for! To best describe it, it is like giving your car that touring car race sound by the push of a button. And it is so clean sounding but absolutely roars! I have watched every Akra video from Alekshops video to Turner Motorpsorts video and although they give you the best idea of actually how the system sounds in person, neither video nor any video for that matter truly serves it the justice is deserves. In most videos it sounds so "tuner/ ricer" but it is exactly the opposite! It truly sounds like a street illegal touring car when in "Red, Thunder" mode. I soon learned the car was not stock either, but had AMS front mount, AFE Dual Cone, Forged Charge Pipe and DV, and GIAC flash. The car was unreal, it ran so nicely; it felt so strong and more importantly consistently strong!(Especially for FL weather/ heat!) I am sold on the exact set up, there car is truly amazing. But either way, wheter I decide to tune or not, The Akra wireless system is worth ever penny and I plan on getting one very soon!
Have you decided which tips you're getting?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
Have you decided which tips you're getting?
Just placed my order... I opted for the titanium tips!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0