rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
In what way is this not like the M3 CSL? I bet the performance figures will end up being very similar, it may not be quite as hard core but it's a big step in the right direction.
M3 CSL= M3 GTS !

But the M1 CSL/GTS will be something to drool over.

Last edited by rav7ks; 02-05-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #46
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Looks very interesting. I like the attention being paid to: a.) having decent multi-pot brakes; b.) brake cooling.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #47
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
I'm creaming.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #48
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Can't wait to see the bug eyed headlights fixed. I will definatly be getting one of these when they are released,
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #49
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
In what way is this not like the M3 CSL? I bet the performance figures will end up being very similar, it may not be quite as hard core but it's a big step in the right direction.
NA vs FI....not even close..this car will probably sound like a vaccum cleaner..Sorry but F/I is not my cup of tea in M cars.(Have you heard the X5M/6). Lower redline etc......I don't care about performance to be honest..I want a kool aid smile on my face everytime I drive the car.
This car will sound exactly like our car equipped with aftermarket exhaust...

If this car would have been equipped with an S54,detuned smaller S65,or some other high reving engine I would have been all over it but I'd rather keep my 1er and buy a used m3 than forking out an xyz amount of money for this.

Being honest the M1 offers more cosmetic upgrades than upgraded driving dynamics. Any enthusiast that is ready to gamble with the factory warranty can have a finely tuned 135 for cheaper than this.
Intercooler+JB3+KW coilovers+exhaust+meaty tires and it's done. All that for 4-5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 02-04-2010 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #50
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I agree totally with mtla4. Put a high-revving 6 in there.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #51
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

If you think this car won't put smile in your face you should opt for a Porsche or Ferrari. For rest of us, despite the lower redline, it will still be more than excess of fun. I don't want to go into the whole F1 discussion because I am not a F1 driver and never will be so its irrelevant.

That said I will probably not buy a M1 unless it really exceeds every expectation. My next car needs to be a purists 2 seater and BMW don't build such cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #52
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If you think this car won't put smile in your face you should opt for a Porsche or Ferrari. For rest of us, despite the lower redline, it will still be more than excess of fun. I don't want to go into the whole F1 discussion because I am not a F1 driver and never will be so its irrelevant.

That said I will probably not buy a M1 unless it really exceeds every expectation. My next car needs to be a purists 2 seater and BMW don't build such cars.
Bmw used to build the M coupe up to last year...now what's left?Oh and by the way a Civic SI very fun to drive with it's high reving K20.

IMO this car is a glorified 135I-335IS..ok it will probably have an LSD but still...Since when M-cars share engines with regular cars?
The M1 is great for people not into modding otherwise the 135I will do the job with some upgrades. 3/4 of the M1 (exclusive)features are cosmetic upgrades.

Summary:

More muscular appearance than standard 1-series
Trapezoid grille flanked by two intakes to allow extra brake cooling
Six piston brakes
High performance intercooler
Sportier looking headlights than standard 1-series
Small lip spoilers above brake duct inlets to provide extra air flow and downforce
The front wings of the car are massaged slightly to accomodate the wider track. Rear end is also wider.
Standard 18" 5-spoke wheels with optional 18" Competition wheels (18" will be the optimium wheel size for the M1)
Signature M side vent
Broader wheel arches to accomodate larger track
"Ducktail" CSL style rear trunk (integrated spoiler)
Rear valance/diffuser area takes its direction from the standard 135i but with open ducts for aerodynamic purpose
Signature M quad exhaust pipes
Reinforced carbon fiber roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 02-05-2010 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #53
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
NA vs FI....not even close..this car will probably sound like a vaccum cleaner..Sorry but F/I is not my cup of tea in M cars.(Have you heard the X5M/6). Lower redline etc......I don't care about performance to be honest..I want a kool aid smile on my face everytime I drive the car.

If this car would have been equipped with an S54,detuned smaller S65,or some other high reving engine I would have been all over it but I'd rather keep my 1er and buy a used m3 than forking out an xyz amount of money for this.

Being honest the M1 offers more cosmetic upgrades than upgraded driving dynamics. Any enthusiast that is ready to gamble with the factory warranty can have a finely tuned 135 for cheaper than this.
Intercooler+JB3+KW coilovers+exhaust+meaty tires and it's done. All that for 4-5K
I can agree with you on the sound, that's probably my favorite part of driving a car but I didn't even think about it in this case.

I don't know what you mean by "our" car, I've got a 328i and if you heard my Injen intake it would make you weep with joy

And to whoever quoted me and said M3 CSL =/= M3 GTS, when did I say it did? I never even brought up the GTS I was merely pointing out that the idea of a 1 series M is similar to the idea of a lighter M3.

The E46 CSL was way more hardcore than the M1 can ever be in today's market but the fact remains that BMW is trying to do a similar thing by making a smaller and more agile M car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:25 AM   #54
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Quote:

I can tell you why listen to this throttle response.

As long as they go turbo route it will never replace the CSL.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:48 AM   #55
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

So you don't think a boosted car can be driven this way, and still keep all driving elements working in unison?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I can tell you why listen to this throttle response.

As long as they go turbo route it will never replace the CSL.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:53 AM   #56
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post

I 100% agree with this. One of my least favorite things about my car is the fact that it sounds like a hairdryer. I've never owned a turbo car before and I've found that I much prefer NA.

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #57
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

I also would like the car about which you are talking, but you'll have to 2-3 years for it, and I'd be happy to wait so long, because it might never come.
The CAR is:
BMW Z4 M Coupé (E89) with 4.0l V8 (S65B40)
The DREAMCAR is:
BMW Z4 M CSL (E89) with 4.4l V8 (S65B44)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #58
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
So you don't think a boosted car can be driven this way, and still keep all driving elements working in unison?
You can drift turbo cars it s done for ages.

But what is so nice at atmo engine that s the linear power delivery. I can set the back out 5 inches with throttle if i want and if i want 10 inches it s no problem at all adjust a little throtte and you get it instantly. Now with turbo you can t adjust it that precisely if do it it s mostly to much or it s to late etc.

So you never can put the back end out exactly how you want it with turbo. That s why the highrev ///M engine are so fantastic on track that s why you see porsche cup cars are always highrev engines. Because highrev is simply the best for extreme driving on corners it s so well controlleable.

But if you want youre engine tuned up turbo is nice but then the lag is getting even worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #59
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5f15

sounds like I'm getting one!
premium package
sport package
comfort access
premium hi-fi system
navigation that plays dvds
real time trafic ect.
ipod,hd,sat,
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #60
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Agreed..
Plus in my area roads are terrible.
18s are perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
I like the resistance to BMW throwing 19's on the car just because. IMO the wheels that should be used are those that are the smallest that can clear the brakes, aka, less weight and less rotational mass.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #61
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
I'm really beginning to see the marketing strategy of this car unfold
Yeah BMW is certainly good at that. You'd think they just announcned Elvis is going on tour with the Beattles the way everyone is reacting in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #62
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Those who don't think Turbo cars can drift - watch this Ken Block Gymkhana:

or this:
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #63
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
You can drift turbo cars it s done for ages.

But what is so nice at atmo engine that s the linear power delivery. I can set the back out 5 inches with throttle if i want and if i want 10 inches it s no problem at all adjust a little throtte and you get it instantly. Now with turbo you can t adjust it that precisely if do it it s mostly to much or it s to late etc.

So you never can put the back end out exactly how you want it with turbo. That s why the highrev ///M engine are so fantastic on track that s why you see porsche cup cars are always highrev engines. Because highrev is simply the best for extreme driving on corners it s so well controlleable.

But if you want youre engine tuned up turbo is nice but then the lag is getting even worse.

Bro, you know that isn't true.. it just requires MORE throttle control. You have to anticipate more...

Just be honest with yourself & admit you are simple use to NA engines and their throttle response. Your preference is something you are familiar with, nothing more. Adding a LSD can change apex and drift angles... don't see you bitching about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #64
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post
Bro, you know that isn't true.. it just requires MORE throttle control. You have to anticipate more...

Just be honest with yourself & admit you are simple use to NA engines and their throttle response. Your preference is something you are familiar with, nothing more. Adding a LSD can change apex and drift angles... don't see you bitching about that.
Au contraire...

Advevo has both a 130i with an aftermarket LSD and also has a 135i with a Drexler LSD. He also has lots of experience with M cars, and their differentials, having owned and raced a handful of them.

Linear throttle response is always better than delays followed by an extra hundred HP/Ftlbs, especially when exiting your apex at full-on gas pedal. You shouldn't have to anticipate when it is going to kick in.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #65
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Remember the McLaren MP4-12C has a 3.8l V8 Biturbo and has redline at 8.500 rpm. Why can't BMW do that?

Three main reasons:

A - Cost. You can bet the turbos being used on the McLaren are nothing short of "state of the art", and they probably cost 3 or 4 times as much as the turbos BMW will be using on the M1.

B - Low end throttle response. To support high RPM power you need higher flow rates. It's hard (and again, expensive) to make a turbo engine extremely responsive at low RPM, and still make power at high RPM.

C - Fuel economy. BMW has to be mindful of fuel economy, but McLaren really doesn't. The turbos on the M1 will need to be efficient enough during daily driving that the car doesn't get killed on the standardized mileage tests in the various markets.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #66
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I am now 100% getting the M1 and doing Euro Delivery! WOOT!!!!
Appreciate 0