BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i White/Red

Program adaptive headlight

Had a headlight go out, replaced it and had dealer program it. Tried to polish the other side to make them identical but that didn't work.

Ordered a new one for the driver side today, if I get the headlight and swap over all the ballast, bulb holder, bulbs and leveler from the old headlight, do I still need to program it? Or only need programming if I'm going with a new leveling system?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
thibb001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Monaco Blue 6MT

I've done both. I've replaced a ballast with a used one for ebay it later got wet again from a puddle and then bought a brand new headlight both worked without requiring any programming. So you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibb001 View Post
I've done both. I've replaced a ballast with a used one for ebay it later got wet again from a puddle and then bought a brand new headlight both worked without requiring any programming. So you should be good.
Ballast I think is universal for our headlights. I believe it's the leveler that needs programming.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofis135i View Post
Ballast I think is universal for our headlights. I believe it's the leveler that needs programming.
Sorry to butt in your post but I had a similar issue with my Lowbeam headlight recently going out, I replaced the bulb assuming that was it but still not working on the passenger side, Does replacing just the low beam require programming as well to function properly?
      04-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
Quote:
Sorry to butt in your post but I had a similar issue with my Lowbeam headlight recently going out, I replaced the bulb assuming that was it but still not working on the passenger side, Does replacing just the low beam require programming as well to function properly?
My guess would be no, I've seen people replace just the xenon bulb with no problems. But I bought a new headlight and the dealer was able to swap it saying the only had to program the new ballast.

I would assume somethings up but I'd take it in just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
romnation
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I actually just ordered new adaptive headlights for my 135i. I will be replacing the entire headlights on both sides. Will the headlights at least work without programming? I may have to figure out the programming later...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 11:59 PM   #7
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I replaced both my headlights and didn't have to program anything. Also pulled one out and fixed it again no programming required.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
christofis135i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation View Post
I actually just ordered new adaptive headlights for my 135i. I will be replacing the entire headlights on both sides. Will the headlights at least work without programming? I may have to figure out the programming later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation View Post
I'm sure they will work but it's the adaptive part that needs the programming so they should work but might not be leveled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1eddy View Post
I replaced both my headlights and didn't have to program anything. Also pulled one out and fixed it again no programming required.
Do you have adaptive headlights? Usually that's the only think that needs to be programmed otherwise they'll be pointing in diffident directions.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have adaptive headlights? Usually that's the only think that needs to be programmed otherwise they'll be pointing in diffident directions.
Hi, I swapped my headlights to new headlights. My old driver side one got water ingress and was diagnosed to need new housing. I swapped a new pair in. I reused the old bulbs and motor but used a new ballast and new adaptive module. I noticed that my passenger side headlight is functioning perfectly while the driver side cornering headlight is pointing the opposite direction of my steering input (if I steer left, it turns right and vice versa).

Is this what you mean by pointing in different directions? If so, do you know the specifics regarding the coding? Any help would be great. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #10
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
Hi, I swapped my headlights to new headlights. My old driver side one got water ingress and was diagnosed to need new housing. I swapped a new pair in. I reused the old bulbs and motor but used a new ballast and new adaptive module. I noticed that my passenger side headlight is functioning perfectly while the driver side cornering headlight is pointing the opposite direction of my steering input (if I steer left, it turns right and vice versa).

Is this what you mean by pointing in different directions? If so, do you know the specifics regarding the coding? Any help would be great. Thanks
Did you ever figure this out ?
Thanks.
      10-14-2020, 03:16 AM   #11
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
Did you ever figure this out ?
Thanks.
Nope. I did not bother because I wanted to have the adaptive stuff gone to begin with. Just more complicated stuff to go wrong. I'll probably try to figure it out when I have the time and potentially extra $ to burn (just in case something goes wrong).

I'm sure if I had coded right away, this likely would not have happened. I assumed it was plug and play.

Just to be safe, buy 100% new modules that are meant for US cars. IDK if there are specific part numbers for it.
Appreciate 0