BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Funky Clutch

My clutch feels smooth and performs well. Now that its getting warmer it's spongie at times and lets out at different spots making spirited driving less enjoyed.

I work at a BMW dealer and had a Tech take a feel and best he can guess is a hydraulic line has a pressure block somewhere. Anyone else had the issue and remedy? Is there 2 different parts one with a pressure resistance design and one without.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
There's the Clutch Delay Valve, but that's about it. You might try bleeding the clutch. My clutch has always felt better when it gets warmer, but that's just me...
      04-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I agree with Chris, a bleed might be in order. I like the function of the delay valve and have not deleted it. But it does tend to make the engagement pattern a bit more difficult to identify. If you move the clutch fast, it doesn't seem to engage at the same point as if you move it slower. You might also like the more positive engagement with the valve deleted. But that valve would not explain a change with temperature.

Spongy says air in the fluid.
      04-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

These cars are getting up there in age. When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? See also... Clutch fluid= brake fluid.
      04-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
I work at a BMW dealer and had a Tech take a feel and best he can guess is a hydraulic line has a pressure block somewhere.
I know manuals are getting rarer, but I seriously hope this tech isn't unaware that BMW uses a delay valve in pretty much all their manuals now.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
You may also be feeling the effects of the self-adjusting couch which has a ratcheting mechanism to compensate for wear. The expansion may have, in some way, caused the clutch to back away from the flywheel slightly and feel soft.
      04-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
There's the Clutch Delay Valve, but that's about it. You might try bleeding the clutch. My clutch has always felt better when it gets warmer, but that's just me...
This sent me in the right direction and having read the cause and effects no doubt a replacement is in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I agree with Chris, a bleed might be in order. I like the function of the delay valve and have not deleted it. But it does tend to make the engagement pattern a bit more difficult to identify. If you move the clutch fast, it doesn't seem to engage at the same point as if you move it slower.
Exactly, well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
You might also like the more positive engagement with the valve deleted. But that valve would not explain a change with temperature.
Spongy says air in the fluid.
having the winter rims on I'd not driven excitedly until 2weeks ago summers back on ta da spirited drive= clutch sux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
These cars are getting up there in age. When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? See also... Clutch fluid= brake fluid.
It was changed 03/15/18, the thought that it was an extreme cold -25 twice that brake fluid accumulated more moister then average is highly possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
I work at a BMW dealer and had a Tech take a feel and best he can guess is a hydraulic line has a pressure block somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I know manuals are getting rarer, but I seriously hope this tech isn't unaware that BMW uses a delay valve in pretty much all their manuals now.
The tech most familiar with MT 1'r is on leave. The Tech mentioned has a Skyline RHD MT for a track car and doesn't normally work on BMW MT's. I told him to rip the car a good one. I've not seen once a BMW with manual need serviced for clutch wear and tear. The only clutch I saw replaced was getting a new engine and while in doing it any way, clutch with 44k had near zero wear.

So thanks for the input it really did help. I want to share a few links and products for the planned fix.

First everyone should read this link for why to remove/replace, I was sold. https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6562

I plan to replace with the M6 lock valve here is the realoem part http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=21522283914

this thread is perfect for diy https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...=209440&page=6
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Yup, a blockage in the hydraulic line is exactly what that a CDvalve is. Worst clutch engagement I've experienced in 50 yrs. of driving manuals. You can remove it completely or use the Zeckhausen replacement which is what I did. Cheap fix, end of problem. Added note,touched on earlier - at your annual brake fluid flush make sure the clutch is bled/filled at the same time. It doesn't get changed automatically with the brake fluid and thus is often missed.
Appreciate 1
Tuxedo1407.50