BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #155
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
It's a comparison thread. There's no reason to feel insecure about it. Check out NASIOC (subaru forum) and you'll find a bunch of people pissed when we talk about the 135i. I like getting the opinions of both groups to remove as much subjectivity as possible from the discussion.
To the contrary, there are a lot of 135 fans on nasioc these days. Especially considering the direction of the STi...(a little slower, softer, $40k with the Nav, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #156
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Try not to distort what I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Again I can't believe that this still gets brought up this many years after these cars were released. It's all functional, those scoops, wings and flared fenders are like that for a reason. Whether it be for engine cooling, brake cooling, added downforce, feed air into the intake, etc., etc., etc. They didn't just slap parts on a car and send it out the door. And it's not for marketing purposes.

There is a lot of research and devolpment that goes into these cars.
When did I say that those things served no function other than design? Scoops, wings, flared fenders, etc, could be put on any car to do the exact same things. In addition to whatever useful function they may have, they affect the look of the car. They are not invisible. I don't happen to like that look. It's an opinion. I've already said that I have nothing else against the cars, have no doubt that they are well engineered and no doubt that they are very, very fast.

I'm merely saying that they are not my cup of tea. Not a surprising point of view in a 1addicts thread. It's not like I'm going over to an STI or EVO thread and complaining about how the cars look. Frankly, I'm a bit sick of your defensiveness about every aspect of these cars on a BMW FAN SITE. What do you expect?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #157
damian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
To the contrary, there are a lot of 135 fans on nasioc these days. Especially considering the direction of the STi...(a little slower, softer, $40k with the Nav, etc.)
Oh i know, but i don't think my statement and yours are mutually exclusive. The fanboys still get pissed because, much like the BMW fanboys, the thought of acknowledging the greatness of another car sets their sphincters a-clenching
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #158
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Apparently the new Evo X and Sti aren't all they were hyped up to be. The two recent comparos Car & Driver and Edmunds both had the Evo winning over the Sti.

But Edmunds also brought an Evo IX to the test and it consistently beat the new Evo X in lap times.

Car and Driver knocked both the Evo and Sti for their interiors, they are not up to par for the price they are charging.

Car and Driver also said the Sti chassis suffers from "terminal understeer".
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 02:53 AM   #159
Rx8135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
Apparently the new Evo X and Sti aren't all they were hyped up to be. The two recent comparos Car & Driver and Edmunds both had the Evo winning over the Sti.

But Edmunds also brought an Evo IX to the test and it consistently beat the new Evo X in lap times.

Car and Driver knocked both the Evo and Sti for their interiors, they are not up to par for the price they are charging.

Car and Driver also said the Sti chassis suffers from "terminal understeer".
yea i believe this is the end for the 4 door econobox power bang for your buck era. It use to be that the evo was aimed towards a younger boy racer audience and the sti was more mature, now its as if they swapped roles, raised the prices and f'ed everything up. Mitsubishi is trying to appeal to an older audience and forgot about the fun facter. A computer drives the evo x now, no longer the owner. The sti is different with a hip new look, but unfortunately, hatchback wasn't the smartest idea. Yes the new evo x is faster around the track but thats because its so computer driven. Back in 05 i choose the evo because it had all out raw power. Now if I was in the market for that type of vehicle, id probably go for the sti. The only thing that would stop me would be the hatch design.

Now as far as being biased and the fan boy issue, this is a bmw forum so of course the 135i is gonna be the winner here. We are here because weve choosen the 135i! car vs car vs car threads should never be taken to heart. Its merely opinions. Now lets all get along and hold hands as we wait to become new father's of baby 1ers. :drinking:
      02-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #160
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^^^
I totally agree with the 4 door econobox for the buck era disappearing. Like I've said previously, this is mainly because a lot of manufacturers have now raised the bar to ensure they have cars that compete in that segment. More competition in the segment means raising the standard of what's offered and this plays right into the Luxury brands. Most entry lux cars now have 300 hp and are very finely tuned for performance .

In terms of hardcore purpose built cars, as much as all us car lover would like to think that cars are all about performance, the truth is the majority of car buyers out there would take luxury, comfort and reliability over performance. This therefore force Subaru and Mitsu "soften" both EVO and STi to grab a bigger market share.

As far as I know the EVO and STi have always, or at least for a long long time, been very computerized cars. The Evo has had Active Yaw Control for the last couple of generations, and that's really what make the EVO standout in terms of handling. But being over computerized has happened to all cars BMW included.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #161
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Please, by all means then, refrain from clicking on the thread titled 135i or 08 STi or EVO X...

Alternatively, if you do decide to read the thread...how about just not postining it?

Thanks for the advise. :wink: I still dont see what the attraction is to these products. Different strokes I guess.

I cant see the EVO being successful in Canada. The price is very high and the dealer network is not there. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #162
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Thanks for the advise. :wink: I still dont see what the attraction is to these products. Different strokes I guess.

I cant see the EVO being successful in Canada. The price is very high and the dealer network is not there. We will see.
Canadian prices aside... Are there any other cars currently on the market that offer that kind of performance for the price?

Doesn't have to be your thing, but how could you not see the attraction. Performance/$$$ is a selling point last I checked.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #163
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Canadian prices aside... Are there any other cars currently on the market that offer that kind of performance for the price?

Doesn't have to be your thing, but how could you not see the attraction. Performance/$$$ is a selling point last I checked.
If performance is your only criteria then sure. For some there is more to a daily driver then 0-60 and skidpad rating. Its somewhat irrelevant to the daily commute. If I was buying something for more track use then driving back and forth to work then sure the STI and EVO are great.

Some of us look for an overall compromise in all areas. Looks, amenities, reputation, and yes performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #164
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If performance is your only criteria then sure. For some there is more to a daily driver then 0-60 and skidpad rating. Its somewhat irrelevant to the daily commute. If I was buying something for more track use then driving back and forth to work then sure the STI and EVO are great.

Some of us look for an overall compromise in all areas. Looks, amenities, reputation, and yes performance.
Of course I agree, but needless to say, there are people who want the best performing car they can afford. I won't think that would be hard to understand, even if it is not your opinion (nor mine).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #165
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

A little bump and a BTW. Road & Track has a comparo of the Evo X and the STi up in the March '08 issue. They were quite smitten with the Evo X MR and the Mitsu interpretation of the DSG.

I need to hit the Mitsubishi dealer and drive the X. I always liked any seat time I could get in prior generations of the Evo, in fact took an Evo VIII to a Porsche club meeting once (that was fun ; -).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #166
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
A little bump and a BTW. Road & Track has a comparo of the Evo X and the STi up in the March '08 issue. They were quite smitten with the Evo X MR and the Mitsu interpretation of the DSG.

I need to hit the Mitsubishi dealer and drive the X. I always liked any seat time I could get in prior generations of the Evo, in fact took an Evo VIII to a Porsche club meeting once (that was fun ; -).
I was hoping that the STi would have come out on top as I prefer the look of the new STi over the X. Both inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #167
mbell75
Private
Rep
Drives:

I too have the same dilemma. Just drove the Evo X today and its amazing. Its not as brutally fast as the last gen but its damn fast enough! It also handles a bit better, you can really feel that S-AWC kick in around corners going faster than you should.

Gonna have to wait until the 135 comes out and I can drive it though. One thing about BMW I dont care for is the way the options add up so quick. So a $35k base can end up being well over $40k quickly and thats too much for this car I think, at least for me. Alot of this stuff BMW charges thousands for is standard on the other 2 cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #168
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I've always been worried about Mitsubishi because of their relative lack of success in the US. I feel like they could stop selling cars in the US tomorrow and it wouldn't surprise me.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #169
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

And I like the last generation STi better than this new one. I just can't get over the looks. I had a nice blue '04 with silver wheels. Lots of fun, but the lack of refinement got to me eventually. It just needed one or two things to be better...better paint, better seats, something. The seats were the worst part.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #170
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazioNYC View Post
I've always been worried about Mitsubishi because of their relative lack of success in the US. I feel like they could stop selling cars in the US tomorrow and it wouldn't surprise me.
That would have been a valid concern ten years ago. Today, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #171
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
That would have been a valid concern ten years ago. Today, not so much.
I disagree. They are not on solid ground here in the states. Just so you know, he has a valid point.
      02-23-2008, 01:54 AM   #172
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
It should be great in bad weather, and I believe Mitsubishi is still in the red, so we might see 0% financing. Not too long ago, the Eclipse was 0% for 60months!!
      02-23-2008, 03:23 AM   #173
JT-KGY
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04__STi View Post
Man ! I cannot decide on which one i want! STi and EVO X will out handle the 135i but i think the 135i will end up being faster straight line...DECISIONS DECISIONS!
My rank for the 3 cars...

1. 135i (FAT)
2. EVO X (FATTER)
3. STI (CAN'T TURN)

STi's unwilling to rotate is easily fixed by some added front camber...
I believe...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #174
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
A lot of us are in the same boat. I've been to the Mitsu/Subie dealerships many many times. I do miss the last gen STI though. The new one is extremely capable but they say it has a lot of body roll.
Apparently the Evo X stomps the latest STI in nearly all performance functionality aspects (so I hear on the shows/read in the mags) Aesthetics and econo-use is another story depending on user to user I guess
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #175
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo View Post
I disagree. They are not on solid ground here in the states. Just so you know, he has a valid point.
They're on a lot more solid ground now then they were 5 years ago. Their products have been well recieved by critics and their sales are up as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #176
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They're on a lot more solid ground now then they were 5 years ago. Their products have been well recieved by critics and their sales are up as well.
I'm just saying, they don't inspire me with confidence. Might be out of date, but if Subaru and Mitsu made the exact same car, I'm buying from Subaru.
Appreciate 0