BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 135i

Question Who's a BMWCCA member here?

I'm looking at joining so I can run at their events. I can't seem to find any info on the price of the events themselves (other than the school ones). Does that mean the normal events are free once you've paid the membership dues?

Also, how do you all like their events compared to SCCA? Seems that they might have more runs, though the morning ones are just for practice? Any of the other benefits worth taking advantage of?

One thing I do like is the classing system. Makes it really easy to figure out where you should be running, and what mods will put you into the next class. It's really kind of fun to play around with haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Why you should become a member...

You bought a newer Bimmer. If that car was new or a CPO and you were a BMWCCA member for more than one year, you would've received an additional rebate for purchasing your car.

Here's the thing with BMWCCA autocross... Each region does its own thing. San Diego has HUGE events at the same lot as the SCCA National Tour. Windy City BMW does events primarily at Maywood park, a rundown small lot and caps it at 85 entrants. Also, there is no Nationally organized classing system, it's region specific again. If Colorado is like Chicago, it'll be one of the lower priced events compared to other clubs and have better trophies. However it also might have funny little traits, like using flags to communicate downed cones instead of radios, or using radio without clearly labeled corners or audits to confirm who hit what. For the most part though, it's good competition, laid back, and still done right even if its done differently.

Windy City BMW apparently fears the 135. The base points almost put it in the highest possible class already. You have 5 points to spend while staying in "A" class before "AA". In our point system, a sway bar is 2 points. Each pair of adjustable shocks is a point. Coilovers are 10 points. Up sizing tires is a point. I think my STU build was something like 26 points added to my base.

I could stay "A" with one of two simple mod paths. Konis, front sway bar, barely upsized tires (going to 225/255) in a street tire brand and stayed "A" and been able to be reasonably well prepped for D Stock SCCA locally in either our Street Tire PAX class or slap on r-comps for the SCCA part.

OR i could go with the non autocross compound r-comps that are 5 points on a bone stock in every way 135i. RA1's or R888's, or R6's that would NEVER heat up in that small lot, though i could probably cook those edges up pretty good with the stock body roll.

So, BMWCCA, i'm "AA" in a STU build car fighting against a SM build, a BSP build, and a few cars that would be F Prepared in SCCA. What i have going for me is the gravelly lot doesn't benefit those cars A6's that much, so I have a *chance* at 5th-6th.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalfitano View Post
Why you should become a member...

You bought a newer Bimmer. If that car was new or a CPO and you were a BMWCCA member for more than one year, you would've received an additional rebate for purchasing your car.

Here's the thing with BMWCCA autocross... Each region does its own thing. San Diego has HUGE events at the same lot as the SCCA National Tour. Windy City BMW does events primarily at Maywood park, a rundown small lot and caps it at 85 entrants. Also, there is no Nationally organized classing system, it's region specific again. If Colorado is like Chicago, it'll be one of the lower priced events compared to other clubs and have better trophies. However it also might have funny little traits, like using flags to communicate downed cones instead of radios, or using radio without clearly labeled corners or audits to confirm who hit what. For the most part though, it's good competition, laid back, and still done right even if its done differently.

Windy City BMW apparently fears the 135. The base points almost put it in the highest possible class already. You have 5 points to spend while staying in "A" class before "AA". In our point system, a sway bar is 2 points. Each pair of adjustable shocks is a point. Coilovers are 10 points. Up sizing tires is a point. I think my STU build was something like 26 points added to my base.

I could stay "A" with one of two simple mod paths. Konis, front sway bar, barely upsized tires (going to 225/255) in a street tire brand and stayed "A" and been able to be reasonably well prepped for D Stock SCCA locally in either our Street Tire PAX class or slap on r-comps for the SCCA part.

OR i could go with the non autocross compound r-comps that are 5 points on a bone stock in every way 135i. RA1's or R888's, or R6's that would NEVER heat up in that small lot, though i could probably cook those edges up pretty good with the stock body roll.

So, BMWCCA, i'm "AA" in a STU build car fighting against a SM build, a BSP build, and a few cars that would be F Prepared in SCCA. What i have going for me is the gravelly lot doesn't benefit those cars A6's that much, so I have a *chance* at 5th-6th.
I am a member and I recommend you become one as well. You will be able to save when purchasing new car.

Over here in NYR, BMWCCA members pay $35 for auto-x while non-members pay $50. attending 3 events pays for you membership in addition to that you will receive the roundel magazine & parts discount at your bmw dealer.

Our classing is different as well. Stock 135 is in C class, doing any modification puts you into D class where you can spend quite a lot on modification before you are bumped up. D class here is full of E46 M3, which are not a problem for me running 255 square camber plates and FSB. Unfortunately C class also includes E92 M3 which sometimes they win sometimes I win, it really is down to who the better driver is and what course layout was used. I've attached our classing sheet.

http://www.nybmwcca.org/downloads/20...sification.pdf
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I'm a member...the cca membership paid for itself on the first hpde event. Members paid 385 and none members paid 460. Then when it came to get my windshield replaced it really paid for itself as it saved me 167 bucks on the cost of the part. Definitely recommend it.
      04-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
I am a member and I recommend you become one as well. You will be able to save when purchasing new car.

Over here in NYR, BMWCCA members pay $35 for auto-x while non-members pay $50. attending 3 events pays for you membership in addition to that you will receive the roundel magazine & parts discount at your bmw dealer.

Our classing is different as well. Stock 135 is in C class, doing any modification puts you into D class where you can spend quite a lot on modification before you are bumped up. D class here is full of E46 M3, which are not a problem for me running 255 square camber plates and FSB. Unfortunately C class also includes E92 M3 which sometimes they win sometimes I win, it really is down to who the better driver is and what course layout was used. I've attached our classing sheet.

http://www.nybmwcca.org/downloads/20...sification.pdf
I'd be E, just barely.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I am a member. Haven't been to an event in a long time, but I love Roundel, club discounts, the BMW rebate (which I still have not received!). loads of reasons to be a member.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

BMWCCA.... I don't belong but have been many separate times.
Do it for the experience. I highly recommend joining. The discounts on anything (parts, activities) are always worth it.
The Roundel is a good read for about an hour or so. LOL.
Nice people overall.
Hopefully, your local chapter is active. All chapters are required by national to have a monthly meeting locally. Do a driver's school and maybe the national, Octoberfest.
Network it and make life an adventure.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

I'm a big fan of CCA events. They're an incredible value, as they offer more seat time than SCCA autocrosses, instructors to coach you and (at least in LA and San Diego) far longer courses to race. As mentioned above, San Diego uses the massive lots at Qualcomm Stadium, which typically yields just over a 1 mile course with fast runs in the 90 sec range. SCCA events can be in the 50-60 sec range, so you get more for your money and can learn faster with the CCA. Plus, you're racing primarily against BMWs, so it's great to level set your car against other similar models. There are plenty of other marques that come out as well to keep it interesting.

Your annual membership fee gets you access to events, then each event has a separate charge. For example, a San Diego autocross is $60, and you get at least 12 laps, lunch, breakfast items, coffee and unlimited water plus all the instruction you want. It's a phenomenal value. I highly recommend you contact your local chapter and get involved in the fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the great info! I just joined today with this following weekend being the first event, super pumped. Looks like the Rocky Mountain Chapter events are running about $43, didn't see it at first but found it after I tried to register. Wound up in BAS class with my mods, looks like very little mods knocks me up from BBS. Check out their classing tool, pretty neat!

http://209.245.29.212/rmcbmwcca/Class.php
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm running against nothing but like 8 e36 M3s haha. Even though I'll be running stock ECU in SCCA STU, it seems like having the tune in BAS doesn't matter against my other mods. Should be interesting!
Appreciate 0