BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
siwik009
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

need DIY bumper/headlight help [DC]

I have a 2008 1-er that I just got new headlights for. To install them, I need to remove the bumper but also have no place to do it (street parking in DC). Was looking for someone who has done this before, even on a similar car (e90?). I will provide beer, a helping hand, and even some money in exchange for use of a driveway and your previous knowledge/experience.

I am relatively handy, I just didn't want to tear into my car without knowing what I was doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
harryn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sp, 95 M3, 94 M-Technic

Not hard at all to do and similar to the E90/92 removal process. It's just tedious as all get out with all the plastic you have to remove. You start off with the main under tray, then the two other pieces of plastic that sit above that. Then move on to the splash guards in the fender wall and remove the plastic rivets and bolts. Then move to the top of the bumper and remove the 4 bolts there. Finally move on to MORE plastic with the mesh grills on the bottom and remove the fasteners there. After a good hour, it pops right off. Will take longer if you have the headlight washers.
Appreciate 0