BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #375
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris69 View Post
What's HMB? 2-3 times a week squatting is the reason I switched from SL 5x5 to JW 5x3x1. I am 5'10.5", 198 lb and I although I carry decent muscle mass on my legs, my upper body is nothing impressive.

With years of pounding my body with squats, ohp, deadlifts, and bench I just now listen to my body on how heavy I want to go instead of forcing myself to do heavy weights

If you don't mind throw some of your videos on YouTube. I used to follow SquatUniversity's YouTube channel to improve my squat form but haven't watched any of the new content in a while.
HMB-HydroxyMethylButyrate. Basically it protects and repairs muscle tissue. It slows muscle protein breakdown and speeds up protein synthesis. It also helps preserve the structural integrity of your muscle cells. Which for us guys over 40 is essential. It gets harder to build muscle and retain it as we get older especially if you aren’t self medicating with “sauce” or getting the prescribed stuff like Rmtt. You should definitely look into HMB, I highly recommend it!

As for Squat videos....I watched a lot of Max Aita on YouTube, I switched to his “break at the knee” method and my gains went thru the roof! Check him out. I will pm you ref my own vids.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #376
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Does hmb taste like shit and not mix worth a crap in water? Got a bunch of something I quit taking and wasnt labeled so no.clue what it is now.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #377
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Does hmb taste like shit and not mix worth a crap in water? Got a bunch of something I quit taking and wasnt labeled so no.clue what it is now.
No clue, I use it in pill form.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #378
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Well I just started taking it again despite not remembering wtf it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:18 AM   #379
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Well I just started taking it again despite not remembering wtf it is.
Are you sure it’s HMB?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:20 AM   #380
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

No idea some product I researched and took for a bit but stopped. Could be paint chips with asbestos?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #381
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
HMB-HydroxyMethylButyrate. Basically it protects and repairs muscle tissue. It slows muscle protein breakdown and speeds up protein synthesis. It also helps preserve the structural integrity of your muscle cells. Which for us guys over 40 is essential. It gets harder to build muscle and retain it as we get older especially if you aren’t self medicating with “sauce” or getting the prescribed stuff like Rmtt. You should definitely look into HMB, I highly recommend it!

As for Squat videos....I watched a lot of Max Aita on YouTube, I switched to his “break at the knee” method and my gains went thru the roof! Check him out. I will pm you ref my own vids.
I take HMB, ZMA, and DIM. If you haven't heard of DIM, it's a very potent prostate protector that I believe any man over 40 should be on. And it's dirt cheap.

As for prescribed stuff...I won't lie... it makes a huge difference. I am hooked up with a great Doctor of Internal Medicine who is also into sports hardcore. He's only a couple of years older than me, and I have been with him 20+ years.

Besides Test..I am also on some other stuff. Some for performance, most for being proactive with my health.

Vit. B Complex Shots.

Oral Vit. D - I think everyone is deficient in this.

Injectable Glutathione - This is one of......if not in my opinion the most potent form of anti-oxidant you can take. This is the same stuff they put in people that come into the ER for alcohol poisoning. Most effective Liver Protectant there is. Orally, the gut does not absorb it.

So the next best step if you don't want injections is NAC pills which converts to Glutathione. It's a nasty smelling supplement, but extremely important as the Liver is the filter for your entire body.

Metformin - My parents are diabetic. Plus if you read any life extension forums, most of them take this product proactively. It keeps insulin resistance down as eventually, everyone would develop some type of insulin resistance if they lived long enough. The more stress you can take away from your Pancrease, the better. My A1C stays in the 4's with this.

I'm probably at the extreme side of things. I go to my doctor once a week and get my injections. The vitamin b complex and glutathione is easy as it is given through an insulin pin.

The test hurts at times though as they have to use a bigger needle.

But between these things and diet, donating blood, constant bloodwork, and working with my doctor, I think I have a pretty good thing going.

I truly believe that it elevates recovery and I know it definitely gives me an edge especially in the gym.

Plus there are other things out there that are legal, healthy, and easily attainable. Stuff that lowers cholesterol, increases cardio output by mitochondrial action in the muscle...all sorts of things. Most have already had clinical studies done, and you can find a lot of info on PubMed.

Luckily I have a good MD who talks to me about everything openly.
      02-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #382
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:

I have heard of HMB but never really looked into it. i used to take alot of supplements in my early 30s (I started gym around 31-32) but now strictly do supplements that scientific literature backs up. A quality fish oil (Carlson's, Nordic Natural, or Viva), Vitamin D-3 (every other day of 5000 I.U), ZMA and tons of caffeine.

Which supplement in your eyes has done you the most benefit? How is your eating? Do you count macros? My goal a couple of years ago was to hit 400 lbs for squats but I quickly gave up on that after squatting 345 lb. I think some people are genetically strong in certain muscle groups than others.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #383
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

They still make zima?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #384
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have heard of HMB but never really looked into it. i used to take alot of supplements in my early 30s (I started gym around 31-32) but now strictly do supplements that scientific literature backs up. A quality fish oil (Carlson's, Nordic Natural, or Viva), Vitamin D-3 (every other day of 5000 I.U), ZMA and tons of caffeine.

Which supplement in your eyes has done you the most benefit? How is your eating? Do you count macros? My goal a couple of years ago was to hit 400 lbs for squats but I quickly gave up on that after squatting 345 lb. I think some people are genetically strong in certain muscle groups than others.
Harris, I would say for me HMB, Glutamine, D3, magnesium and my Super Greens are my foundational supplements I do not deviate from. I feel great and think they work well together in a stack. The super greens are a forgotten gem a lot don’t use.

My eating is healthy. I eat smart and balanced consuming lots of fresh meats/fish fruits veggies nuts and root vegetables. I keep my carbs in check and stay away from fried stuff.

I definitely think you can hit 400 if you make some changes and adjustments, don’t sell yourself short!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      02-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #385
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Harris, I would say for me HMB, Glutamine, D3, magnesium and my Super Greens are my foundational supplements I do not deviate from. I feel great and think they work well together in a stack. The super greens are a forgotten gem a lot don’t use.

My eating is healthy. I eat smart and balanced consuming lots of fresh meats/fish fruits veggies nuts and root vegetables. I keep my carbs in check and stay away from fried stuff.

I definitely think you can hit 400 if you make some changes and adjustments, don’t sell yourself short!
Thanks for the encouragement. I did try Super Greens long time ago but didn't like the idea of eating dirt. Which brand is your favorite? I am going to give HMB a try. Any brand you have found to work best for you?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #386
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

I drink my super greens first thing when I wake up. Mixed with fresh squeezed OJ, apple cider vinegar, V8 energy juice, ground flax/chia and protein powder. Here is the brand I use, by far the best on the market!

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/san-...n-11-2-oz-pwdr

Here is the HMB brand I use, which I swear by.

https://www.google.com/search?client...PqECkP45OFi6M:
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 08:23 PM   #387
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I drink my super greens first thing when I wake up. Mixed with fresh squeezed OJ, apple cider vinegar, V8 energy juice, ground flax/chia and protein powder. Here is the brand I use, by far the best on the market!

Sounds similar to my greens drink. Chia seeds are awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #388
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Sounds similar to my greens drink. Chia seeds are awesome!
Rmtt, love my super greens! This brand is phenomenal. I can definitely feel it if I run out and have a few days off of it. Crazy but true. That stuff is packed with nutrient rich body fuel!

Update Front Squat 1rm....tied my my PR at 335 today. Went for 345 and missed. It happens. I’m a firm believer in pushing your limits to failure. You need to fail in order to succeed. And I could care less about failed reps at the gym. If I don’t see ppl failing reps then I know they not pushing hard enough. The mental game is just as if not as important as the physical game!

Squat cleans 3x3 at 225....Hang Power cleans 3x3 at 185 (normal numbers for those).
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      02-28-2019, 05:41 AM   #389
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Rmtt, love my super greens! This brand is phenomenal. I can definitely feel it if I run out and have a few days off of it. Crazy but true. That stuff is packed with nutrient rich body fuel!

Update Front Squat 1rm....tied my my PR at 335 today. Went for 345 and missed. It happens. I’m a firm believer in pushing your limits to failure. You need to fail in order to succeed. And I could care less about failed reps at the gym. If I don’t see ppl failing reps then I know they not pushing hard enough. The mental game is just as if not as important as the physical game!

Squat cleans 3x3 at 225....Hang Power cleans 3x3 at 185 (normal numbers for those).

I agree....I have been using the brand below for awhile, but I think I will pick up some of what you are using and try it out. My wife and I have one in the evening after dinner. We make it together, add Chia Seeds, and add more Spinach, Kale, and Chard. We also mix in a fresh anti-oxidant berry blend that is jokingly enough in the same section as all of the frozen cakes and pies in our supermarket. A huge bag is about $10 and last two weeks. It has blackberries, blueberries, dark cherries, etc.

Nothing wrong with missing your weight. There are a host of things that come into play, and you never know until you try it. I can't begin to tell you how many PR's I have missed...especially on good days when it seems everything is aligned and I feel awesome.

Then I have those days that I don't feel like getting out of bed, but I drag myself to the gym anyway. Some of those have been my best workouts ever, and I have hit a lot of personal bests on days when I feel like I won't be able to use the weights I was killing the previous week!

https://www.amazon.com/Superfood-Spi...C%7C%7C%7C1%7C
      02-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #390
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I ordered the HMB, albeit a different brand from Amazon (Amazon didn't have the Excel). The brand I ordered is called Naturebell. Know anything about it?

Last edited by harris69; 02-28-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #391
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
I ordered the HMB, albeit a different brand from Amazon (Amazon didn't have the Excel). The brand I ordered is called Naturebell. Know anything about it?
Harris...yeah i saw Excel was on back order. I’m not familiar with Naturebell. What is the Mg dose per serving? Mine is 1000mg.

Also....I used to belong to a fitness community app called “ThrowDown”. Was really good actually, I’m thinking of reactivating my account. Lots of good ppl, info and videos one everything fitness. I was tight with a bunch of Powerlifting/CrossFit/Olympic lifting ppl. You should check it out. I’ll let you know when I’m back on. I posted a lot of vids and pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #392
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Think i have extensor tendonitis, top of my foot feels like been curb stomped after squats last night. Calves are pretty inflexible as is knee so do low back to get parallel. Think concept 2 having same issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #393
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Harris...yeah i saw Excel was on back order. I’m not familiar with Naturebell. What is the Mg dose per serving? Mine is 1000mg.

Also....I used to belong to a fitness community app called “ThrowDown”. Was really good actually, I’m thinking of reactivating my account. Lots of good ppl, info and videos one everything fitness. I was tight with a bunch of Powerlifting/CrossFit/Olympic lifting ppl. You should check it out. I’ll let you know when I’m back on. I posted a lot of vids and pics.
According to the label serving size is 2 caps, and each serving is 1000 mg. I received the bottle today but I have only taken 2 caps so far. It recommends taking 2 caps three time a day. A bit too much don't you think?

I have never heard of Throwdown, but then again I have gone completely off the social media grid (if such a term exists). I didn't order the Super Greens that you recommended, but I wanted to try the HMB and see how it turned out first before going for SG. Also, as of least week I have been trying out the TRT gels; so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. So far, I have not felt much in the way of feeling stronger, but I will definitely make a post about it when that happens ��
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #394
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
According to the label serving size is 2 caps, and each serving is 1000 mg. I received the bottle today but I have only taken 2 caps so far. It recommends taking 2 caps three time a day. A bit too much don't you think?

I have never heard of Throwdown, but then again I have gone completely off the social media grid (if such a term exists). I didn't order the Super Greens that you recommended, but I wanted to try the HMB and see how it turned out first before going for SG. Also, as of least week I have been trying out the TRT gels; so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. So far, I have not felt much in the way of feeling stronger, but I will definitely make a post about it when that happens ��
Ahhhh ok. So 500mg per pill. Mine are 1000mg per pill. I take 3 on training day. 1 serving 30mins before training. 1 immediately after training and 1 before bed. On non training days just 1 serving before bed. I should also mention I take glutamine before bed also. That’s why I like Excel, more dosage in 1 pill.

As for ThrowDown, it’s gone. I checked and the app is unavailable. It must of went belly up. Bummer.

The TRT should get you results tho, definitely keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:53 PM   #395
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Xray negative got referral to pt so can work on few things.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 05:44 AM   #396
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

With the gel...give it about 3-4 weeks to start seeing some stuff in the gym happen. With it's half-life, I would expect that you would start seeing some mental benefits within 2 weeks.

Do you know what mg dose they have you on?