10-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #23
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Yes. swapping to track pads before a track day is the only solution for serious track days. Track pads will be unbearable as a daily driver. For me, DS2500 are good enough to do both and not noisy, better bite and way better than OE pads on both street and track.
Agree 1000 percent. DS2500s are a great middle ground pad.. and will work for a novice or intermediate level track driver. But go to a track that is hard on brakes.... and they will show that they are still very much a street compound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Nordschleife View Post
They all squeal a lot ? Except for the ferodo ds2500 pads if I'm correct...
. here's the story on brake pads.

you can have either braking performance, low dust, or low noise. Sometimes you can get GREEDY and get two of the three, but you can NEVER have all three.

The stock pads are basically a low noise pad. They have moderate dusting and moderate braking performance. They actually are EXCELLENT for what MOST people do which is moderate or even aggressive street driving and probably little to zero track time. The Ferodo 2500 slots in above the stock pad but has a little more noise, and a little more performance, and a little more dust but not a lot. A great option for beginner or intermediate level drivers or advanced level drivers that know how to use their brakes LESS to get around a track. That's really about as good as you can get.

A typical advanced level driver is FAR beyone doing what MOST owners do. Anyone complaining that BMW doesnt install as OEM , pads that are up to full track duty (which will squeal and dust like a mother fucker..) needs to have their head examined.

So.... pick your poison. Don't pick a pad with low dust or low noise and complain that it breaks up on you.
If you want to do serious track driving then get a serious track pad. Period. Sure they will dust. Sure they will squeal, but they will STOP, and they won't break up on you.

PS... the fact that the pad is breaking up is an indicator that the PAD material got so hot that it separated from the backing plate. That means as a driver you are asking too much of them, as that is NOT their intended application.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-08-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
yeah... here's the story on brake pads.

you can have either braking performance, low dust, or low noise. Sometimes you can get GREEDY and get two of the three, but you can NEVER have all three.

The stock pads are basically a low noise pad. They have moderate dusting and moderate braking performance. They actually are EXCELLENT for what MOST people do which is moderate driving. An intermediate or an advanced level driver is FAR beyone doing what MOST owners do. Anyone complaining that BMW doesnt install as OEM , pads that are up full track duty (which will squeal and dust like a mother fucker..) needs to have their head examined.

So.... pick your poison. Don't pick a pad with low dust or low noise and complain that it breaks up on you. If you want to do high performance driving then get a high performance brake pad. Period.
Word.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Thanks as always to Neil and M3Adjuster for clarifying

If I had appreciated your advice and considerable experience two years ago, before I set up my track-only vehicle, it would have saved me some expense and frustration!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #26
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mPanda View Post
do not make my mistakes, even at the Nurburgring where only few hard braking, stock rotors overheating with Endless pads, Endless pads very strong and hot for stock rotors, this car very heavy for these brakes.
And one important thing don't install Endless pads only on front, because a lot of work on the front, I made this mistake, you need to put on the back too some ME20.
And what compound do I need to install on front? Same ME20 or CCRg?
I was looking for the identical pads front and rear but many people use on front the more aggressive compound, so I'm hesitating in what would be better for street and track... and I don't need to have the bad squeak!

PS will use stock rotors.
Appreciate 0