BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Dirk
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Exclamation Akrapovic wireless system problems

Hi Guys, Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with their Akrapovic Wireless system. I have had my Evolution exhaust with wireless kit for just under a year now and have not had one single problem up until two days ago.

I have kept my switch in the ashtray and its stayed there since the install.

When starting the car the valve is open until vacuum is built up in a few seconds and the valve closes to ''white mode'' When I try and press the button to switch it to ''Red Mode'' nothing happens it just stays in white mode.

Over the weekend Ive tried looking for a new battery but wasnt able to get the right size. I dont think this is however the problem as my battery came flat from Akrapovic and I have never bothered changing it I just kept it in the ashtray power socket.

Hope someone has a solution to this. I checked the wireless module and a green light is on. Im thinking maybe there is a problem with my switch. I had a close look but nothing seems wrong with it.

I very rarely drive my car in white mode and now its stuck in it.. Im hating it! ha ha

Cheers

Dirk
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Is the light switch on auto? If so just put it back on off or set it on running lights a few times when driving. Had a similar issue and all went back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Dirk
Rep

Thanks for the quick response! My lights are in auto I will give that a try and let you know if that solved it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Its probably wired to the lighting system like mine and as @gs/e60/1m? mentioned ..

When the lights are on (be it in auto or normal evening/night) it works fine and the exhaust flaps are able to function fine ... but when the lighting is switched off be it in auto mode (daylight) or manually set to off "0" then it remains open but with the switch will show white but unable to turn red .
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Dirk
Rep

Monday was a bit busy for me today and only drove the 1M this afternoon again to gym and back.. and tried switching my lights from Auto to off and back to on and then back to Auto and still no response, as per (gs/e60/1m) Suggested.I tried it a few times. Was hoping that would have solved the problem. My switch is just staying white.

My power is being drawn from the rear left tail light, the solenoid valve and wireless module is also located close by. I'm wondering if my wireless module is faulty.

Ive checked the Akra site and cant find any trouble shooting documentation. Havent gone to my bmw dealer who fitted it yet. Ill try swing by tomorrow If I get the chance.

Thanks for the suggestion Ian. I haven't tried it yet but Im doubting a blockage is in my system I will however try this. On start up the car is loud but with in seconds it closes the exhaust valve as vacuum is built up.

All Suggestions are welcome... next step will be to bypass the valve so I can have my old car back again... Until I get a solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

When you push the wireless button to toggle between red/white mode, do you still hear the discreet instant metallic-alike 'click'/'tick' ? If this doesn't happen (anymore), check whether the hose/cable is still properly connected.

Also open and close the valve by manually pulling a few times. Maybe it got stuck due to dirt.

Name:  Akra_Wireless_01.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  41.6 KB
      02-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

I received a faulty wireless kit with my system +- 3 months ago. It worked for about 12 hours then it was stuck on white mode. Go to your distributor and get them to order a replacement. All akra needed from me was my milage.
      03-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

And to avoid any misunderstanding (to be distinguished from the malfunctioning problem encountered by OP), the phenomenon of signal interference is, on the other hand, perfectly normal.

If the Akra operates in "red mode" (so-called 'Thunder Mode") it happens to sometimes flash rapidly to "white mode" for a second or so. It is a remotely controlled device, so the signal might briefly suffer from interference/distortion by other signals/sources.

This phenomenon is even indicated in the Akra manual:

03-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
Dirk
Rep

Thanks Artemis, My car is going back to BMW tomorrow for a service and I have received a troubleshooting guide from Akra to try and fix the problem. Problem is I removed my wireless kit so that I can send it back to them but now they want me to re install it and follow their procedure and attach photographs. I did try all the obvious stuff and I narrowed it down to the module, the solenoid valve or the switch. Like Notion- ZA stated his stayed stuck in white mode thats whats wrong with mine. I'll follow the procedure Akra sent me just as an exercise and take photos but cant see that that will change anything. Myself and my car have a love hate relationship.. Ive had two power steering pumps fail on my 1M and now today it feels like the clutch has gone too. The only engine mod Ive done is an Akra evolution pipe.. I drive the car enthusiastically but it gets looked after just seem to have stupid little problems! the car only has 22000 km's on the clock.
Appreciate 0