Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #112
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO///M View Post
When the F80 M3/M4 comes out you will see a lot of 1M for sale.... When the M235 comes out everybody is going to ditch their glorified 1 series.... .When the M2 comes out they would trade those Frankensteins..... when... When.... Only then....
Exactly. This 1M "sell or don't sell" or "overvalued" discussion comes up with the same frequency as BMW M's product cycle.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #113
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
A dream come true for Porsche lovers.

Not unlike the 1M for BMW enthusiasts.
yep, that is exactly what I meant... you P-crazy fans
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #114
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
60-70k for a car that has near identical performance to any other 135? no thank you. As a BMW technician, It's not uncommon to drive these things for duplication of complaint road tests. It just lacks the wow factor. Like I said though, it's a beautiful car and I like it a lot, but it just needed "more". No disrespect to the owners obviously.
You guys can argue all day long... As an original owner, it brings smile on my face every time I see people trying to take pics of my 3 year old ride, parking lots, gas stations, on the road

Same with 135? M3? M4? I don't think so! LOL

P.S.
There is a word for that feeling you might have when 'one' will drive in the next lane to you on highway... you know it Just be honest with yourself. You will be searching for answers in your head... what was that?!! and then you will find yourself a need of modifying the hack out of your 135/M3, spending 10/15/20K range trying to be as cool... until that moment again... and you will feel that all of your efforts was a waste of time, because your 135/M3 will never become an 1M...

buy one, if you want it! Or, get something that can truly compete on the cool factor, like a GTR, and Porsche RS 4, a Black Mecr, or some other beast
Not sure if you are totally serious here!? It's cool that you love your ride and all, but do you really think M3 guys feel the need to modify their cars when they see a 1M, just to try to be as cool, that was a strange comment, just hope it was just humour!

I also find it funny how you seem to think the 1M is much cooler then anything short of a supercar while two 1M owners that I know(who seem to be more in touch with reality then you are) drool over my M3 everytime they see it(not saying the M3 is cooler), they must not know that BMW built the 1M as the mecca of all M cars, and decided to sell it the same price as a 335i!

But seriously, I like the 1M, my friend has a white one, it's nice, but I find it strange that while I want to keep my M3 forever(not to make money out of the last N/A M car, just to have fun driving it ), he wants to sell it after only tree years of ownership to get into a Cayman, I wonder what he did'nt understood that you have, maybe he does'nt live for the image and just want a better car instead of a rarer car. :

Anyway, I find it pretty sad that having the big head seems to be a common trend for some 1M owners in this forum(if you feel it's not your case, then I'm probably not speaking of you ), wonder if it's the Napoleon complex or just the huge price on the used market that does that but in all case, it makes it very hard to speak your mind on this little car when people get so diffensive about it for no reason. :

Here's me and my friend at a track day a couple years ago and us again at an air strip event this summer, hard to tell that the 1M has so much more cool factor then the M3, even more so when you ear them running!

BTW I love the 1M, specially when I have the chance to play with one on a straight!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #115
godzilla-1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

great reading guys!!! just had to add my bit.

I am a serious car nut. I got my 1m a year ago during the december dip in car prices and at the point when in the UK "at least" the 1m was at its lowest value (approx 5k under list price) My nice spec car with no added fat extras is now worth nearly 10k more within just 12 months. I had concerns that the m3/m4 launch and the m2 soon to come would affect the value of my car but it appears that people are still only just starting to learn about 1ms as they are so few and far between and have stayed out of a lot of peoples price budget!!!
if U ask most 1m owners what hooked you to the car they would not think about the finances first, oh no what they would actually do is recall a memories of sheer fun in their car and those memories just don't stop coming!!! Even if the car was depreciating like most cars do i honestly think that we would almost all still be hanging on to these little gems for all those other reasons that make us smile!!!!

As for the comments on handling on track: surely the report needs to come from someone who has driven all standard versions of the M cars mentioned on the same track. Then it might be a fair conclusion as to which was best out a the box. I have driven plenty of non-racecars on track and have only used my 1m at the nurburgring so far but with a set of semi-slick R888s and a set of pfc-08 pads all round I found the 1m good for stability, sublime turn in confidence, braking on a level with my R34GTR track car and nice analogue connected feeling. Sure if a racing driver took it for a lap he would pull it apart but racing drivers drive racing cars. We are just lads having fun in our rides aren't we ????
I CERTAINLY AM !!!!!
AFE induction, N55 midpipe, ER chargepipe, forge recircs, Berger OCC, Berger CDV, "West Tuning" Remap 450bhp, 519lb torque, Bilstein clubsports, BMW Performance front grilles, boot lip and steering wheel, IND repeaters, lightweight front splitter and carbon diffuser, PSD titanium stud+nut conversion, 10mm spacers, AR01 semi-slicks, RS29 pads.

Last edited by godzilla-1; 01-03-2015 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #116
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
overvalued?! what kind of 'value' are we talking about? economical? emotional? cool factor? in many of those terms, it's hard to put a price tag on this thing, to me at least...
2 years ago I wanted a dedicated BMW that was going to be my fun/HPDE/auto-x car, because my 335 daily driver was just not competitive enough. I considered the 1M briefly, when I noticed that the prices were still close to MSRP. So I decided to get an e30 M3 instead. Two years later the e30 M3 has almost doubled in value. So I can't say that I regret having chosen it over the 1M.

At the same time, I find myself wanting something a bit more modern, because the maintenance of an e30 M3 can get annoying. I like the 1M for its exclusiveness and for its performance, but never thought it was a good looking car, not that it is a huge factor for what I want.
What is a big factor however, is that I can't see myself spending almost full price on a 4 year old car, when I can get a slightly used M235i for less money. The trade off on the M235i is the fact that it isn't as exclusive and that it won't retain its value like the 1M.......so it boils down to what is more important to me personally. So when I say overvalued, I am stating my opinion based on my needs.

Right now I will stay put and see what the M2 will have to offer. From a collectors stand point the 1M will always be desirable I suppose, so maybe in that term it isn't overvalued. At the same time, there are better investments. From a performance perspective I think it is overvalued and over the next few year there will be less people willing to pay new car prices for a 1M, when they can get a used Cayman S, an e90 M3, or M235i for a lot less money and have a better performing car. It all depends on what is important to you.

BTW, I think this will be my new signature
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #117
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
overvalued?! what kind of 'value' are we talking about? economical? emotional? cool factor? in many of those terms, it's hard to put a price tag on this thing, to me at least...
2 years ago I wanted a dedicated BMW that was going to be my fun/HPDE/auto-x car, because my 335 daily driver was just not competitive enough. I considered the 1M briefly, when I noticed that the prices were still close to MSRP. So I decided to get an e30 M3 instead. Two years later the e30 M3 has almost doubled in value. So I can't say that I regret having chosen it over the 1M.

At the same time, I find myself wanting something a bit more modern, because the maintenance of an e30 M3 can get annoying. I like the 1M for its exclusiveness and for its performance, but never thought it was a good looking car, not that it is a huge factor for what I want.
What is a big factor however, is that I can't see myself spending almost full price on a 4 year old car, when I can get a slightly used M235i for less money. The trade off on the M235i is the fact that it isn't as exclusive and that it won't retain its value like the 1M.......so it boils down to what is more important to me personally. So when I say overvalued, I am stating my opinion based on my needs.

Right now I will stay put and see what the M2 will have to offer. From a collectors stand point the 1M will always be desirable I suppose, so maybe in that term it isn't overvalued. At the same time, there are better investments. From a performance perspective I think it is overvalued and over the next few year there will be less people willing to pay new car prices for a 1M, when they can get a used Cayman S, an e90 M3, or M235i for a lot less money and have a better performing car. It all depends on what is important to you.

BTW, I think this will be my new signature
That guy with the point by must be a wuss! Lol

JK, setup, driver experience etc, I'm sure you'd run right past me if you're running well in a dedicated track toy in advanced groups

Last edited by SpencerMH; 01-03-2015 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #118
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I drool over my friends 335, modified with every gizmo he can put into it... Hack, I dig his gti... That does not mean I would find myself buying one... It's not my cup of tea.

I did not mean to start a war 1m vs m3... Nor did I try to offend the p-guys with my lazy typing... Btw, where is the Mercedes fans calling me out for not completely spelling their ride?

Is model T cool or not? It's definitely overvalued by those terms, I bet you can run circles around it... Lol

I am driving my m, it has little investment value to me, i prefer to hold other assets as investments... But, it brings me joy every day to the point that I find myself deliberately skipping the train route and taking the highway...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #119
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post

JK, setup, driver experience etc, I'm sure you'd run right past me if you're running well in a dedicated track toy in advanced groups
It must be the middle finger
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #120
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post

Just to clarify, it is MY dedicated track toy, but not a gutted race car. I drive it to and from the track and it is smog and street legal. It weighs ~2700 lbs and makes about 270hp, so it had no advantage over the 1M in terms of hp to weight. According to the owner of the 1M his tune boosted power to 350-360hp and I assume the car weighs 3300-3400lbs, so in reality he had a slight edge in power to weight and was hardly a stock set up either.

Again, not to read too much in to it, but when I study the video I notice that I catch him going in to the turns and coming out of the turns, but he is not pulling from me on the straights, which was a little surprising. I would think that the 1M has a huge torque advantage over my car, yet it didn't seem to make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #121
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Also it was featured in The gambler. Got a nice shout out from the nba player hopeful: "you drive a M1 you cant be doing to bad". Anyone cringe at that them calling it M1?
Just watched the movie today, that pissed me off a little!

Oh well great article the 1M is indeed a special car
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #122
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Love the 1M - biggggg regret not getting one. What a car...
      01-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #123
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Name:  CatFight.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  115.8 KB
      01-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #124
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

Quote:
Again, not to read too much in to it, but when I study the video I notice that I catch him going in to the turns and coming out of the turns, but he is not pulling from me on the straights, which was a little surprising. I would think that the 1M has a huge torque advantage over my car, yet it didn't seem to make a difference.
He was probably texting before he noticed you behind him. Than he let you pass so he could finish his text. That's why the 1m was so slow
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #125
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Because it was in the gambler?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #126
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Must not be an enthusiast, I find it completely different that the 135i.. obviously in s straight line w a tuned non-M E82 they are similar, minus the traction.

But ya, 70k would be a stretch, so I am w/ ya there..unless you are planning to park it in a bubble...I've seen a 993 turbo w less than 500mi sell for over 300k in the past year.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #127
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
Must not be an enthusiast, I find it completely different that the 135i.. obviously in s straight line w a tuned non-M E82 they are similar, minus the traction.

But ya, 70k would be a stretch, so I am w/ ya there..unless you are planning to park it in a bubble...I've seen a 993 turbo w less than 500mi sell for over 300k in the past year.
agreed the 1M's handling is totally different than 135. It's about as different as the handling is between a 335 and an M3. Nothing alike...

In a few years there will be 'bubble' 1Ms selling with less than 500 miles for over $100k. The attraction towards the 1M will continue to grow....i am hoping the M2 is a great car, as that will only feed the roots of the 1M being the origins of the 'modern M car"....which it is.

I'm fine with that...my 1M will probably have over 100k miles by then (already at 50k) and then i can take a stroll into my garage like i do now...just to stare at it...and brush its alcantara steering wheel as a reward to the legend growing! lol

That being said...i don't care much about 2nd hand pricing anymore. I am never selling mine so it doesn't really matter. For the time being there's pretty much nothing i'd rather be driving...it ticks every box. Call me a fanboy...i don't care. This car deserves a following....which it already has!

Last edited by IEDEI; 01-05-2015 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #128
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

...and here I am, crying in a corner and wishing the 1 M's were cheaper to buy. Had to go with the second fastest version of the beloved and hated Einser instead. I so much would love to own an Alpine White 1 M.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #129
The Big O
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E82 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3
Best BMW I have owned and that includes M3's and 6's. Decided I will keep mine even prefer it to the 997.

Always be people who will knock it but nearly every road test of the 1M has said it is a very special car. Values of low mileage cars in the UK are around the original list price. Even the service pack BMW offered on this car in the UK was only £500 for first 5 years servicing. Means one of the best performance cars you could buy in 2011 has cost virtually nothing on depreciation and running costs. Just put good petrol in it!! Every other M car I have owned has cost a lot of cash to run as they seem to suffer high depreciation.

So an absolute bargain and maybe never to be repeated as new M2 won't be restricted on numbers
Interesting to note that a lot of the haters always point out that they think the M2 will affect pricing for the 1M. This indicates that they so wish tje 1M was not a limited production car so they could lay their hands on it. Why else would they keep going on about the M2? Of course the M2 will likely be a better car. Its new and BMW has spent way more time developing it so you can expect a better car overall. But please stop hating on the 1M just because you can't afford one. Nothing the M2 (or the M235i) does will change the massive smiles of 1M owners around the world as we enjoy the great investment we made in 2011 and 2012 when we signed up for this super-special car. You can't take our smiles away with your M2's, e30 M3's, e92 M3' s or anything else you throw at us. Just let the e82 M Coupe be!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #130
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big O View Post
Interesting to note that a lot of the haters always point out that they think the M2 will affect pricing for the 1M. This indicates that they so wish tje 1M was not a limited production car so they could lay their hands on it. Why else would they keep going on about the M2? Of course the M2 will likely be a better car. Its new and BMW has spent way more time developing it so you can expect a better car overall. But please stop hating on the 1M just because you can't afford one. Nothing the M2 (or the M235i) does will change the massive smiles of 1M owners around the world as we enjoy the great investment we made in 2011 and 2012 when we signed up for this super-special car. You can't take our smiles away with your M2's, e30 M3's, e92 M3' s or anything else you throw at us. Just let the e82 M Coupe be!
I think the argument was, if the value reflects the performance of the car, and has nothing to do with hating the 1M. It doesn't matter how many times I say that it is a special car and that I would love to have one, there will always be a few that read something else in to it.

Let me try to break it down another way. Price= supply and demand

Supply is limited and will not get better, therefor value will always be higher than average (side note, world wide production was 6309, so they are a bit easier to come by in Germany for example)

Demand has been high since the introduction due to these factors:
Only enthusiasts car BMW has offered in a while and for a while
Latest and greatest BMW
Full factory warranty
Exclusiveness
Bang for the buck
Cool factor

So when somebody says the prices won't be as good when the M2 arrives, it doesn't mean the that person hates the 1M, or that the 1M will drop like a rock in value, but rather that the demand will come down a bit and therefor effect pricing. How much, nobody knows, pure speculation. All I know is that going forward the demand column will loose a lot of the criteria I listed. It won't have:
Bang for the Buck
Full factory warranty
Be the latest and greatest BMW
Won't be the only enthusiast car from BMW to choose from

So, if I am in the market for a light an nimble BMW, and the choice is $35-$40k for a used M235, $60k for a new M2, or $50k or more for a used 1M, me personally would chose the 1M last out of that bunch, unless I am purely buying for speculation and not for driving. Does that make me a hater? I don't think so.

Also, the collector car market has bubbles similar to the stock, or the housing market. Right now the collector car market is smoking hot. But for those old enough to remember the late 80's early 90's, you will remember that it can crash. If we are talking about a bubble car generating 100k in a few years, sure, that is not out of the questions, but at that point it is just a trophy and I might as well get another investment with a greater potential.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #131
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
bold letters and a heightened self importance...

Last edited by IEDEI; 01-05-2015 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #132
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
Also, the collector car market has bubbles similar to the stock, or the housing market. Right now the collector car market is smoking hot. But for those old enough to remember the late 80's early 90's, you will remember that it can crash. If we are talking about a bubble car generating 100k in a few years, sure, that is not out of the questions, but at that point it is just a trophy and I might as well get another investment with a greater potential.
But still, in the meantime, time goes on, and life as well. Carpe diem.

Name:  Lucky.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  30.4 KB