BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-28-2023, 01:49 PM   #1
Apexpixel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Clunky Vorshlag Camber Plate - 135i w/ KW v3

Hi All, I’ve been struggling for the last 2 months to dial in my Vorshlag Camber plates and at this point, Vorshlag themselves don’t seem to be any help… I’m reaching out to the forums as i’m currently $1,500, 3 separate orders, 2 separate installations, 2 separate alignments and on my second bearing in the car and my Driver’s side plate still clunks like a f***ing jackhammer. i’m at a loss. we’ve looked over the car and all conceivable bolts are tight. sway bar endlinks are not the issue.

open to any suggestions as this racket is getting old — strongly considering requesting a full refund from Voshlag and opting for another route entirely…

Video of clunky plate here:
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...HD3VJdEGclAsRt

Appreciate any insight
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
Apexpixel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Forgot to mention:
I’m on KW v3 coilovers, Hitchkis front sway bar, and M3 Control Arms of any of that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 05:04 PM   #3
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
That noise is awful.

It happened to me once with vorshlag plates, the top strut nut slightly loosened at a track day and sounded just like that until I made it home to use my strut nut socket to torque it back to spec, that socket has been in my track tool box ever since.

Just listening to it, it sounds like the strut itself is moving within the bearing on the vorshlag plate, rather than one of the vorshlag bearings being loose.

Did they send the right adapter piece for the KWs? Is there some way that the strut nut isn't fully seating the top of the strut against the adapter piece and into the bearing?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:21 AM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexpixel View Post
Hi All, I’ve been struggling for the last 2 months to dial in my Vorshlag Camber plates and at this point, Vorshlag themselves don’t seem to be any help… I’m reaching out to the forums as i’m currently $1,500, 3 separate orders, 2 separate installations, 2 separate alignments and on my second bearing in the car and my Driver’s side plate still clunks like a f***ing jackhammer. i’m at a loss. we’ve looked over the car and all conceivable bolts are tight. sway bar endlinks are not the issue.

open to any suggestions as this racket is getting old — strongly considering requesting a full refund from Voshlag and opting for another route entirely…

Video of clunky plate here:
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...HD3VJdEGclAsRt

Appreciate any insight
Assuming the plates are new, you likely have a loose top nut or sway bar endlink(s).

If everything is tight, check the spherical bearing or the strut itself. If your installer isn't able to find the source of the noise, look for another shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 04:44 AM   #5
Yvrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128

My first thought too is the nut on top of the strut. Perhaps the bearing insert is the incorrect one for the KWs — looking at Vorshlags website, they list several different coilover brands/models which means they are not universally compatible with one another.

Are you using stock KW springs? Perhaps the perch or is not the right diameter (?)

Have you tried jacking it up, taking the wheel off (to unload the droop) and grabbing the top of the strut to see if you can manually wiggle the strut within the bearing ?
Appreciate 0