BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #23
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Good luck with that. Please do let me know if the replacement works better. I had mine in for an oil change yesterday and attempted to discuss this with my service adviser. I showed him the picture posted in this thread and told him mine was a lot worse. He said "they're all like that when it gets hot." When I tried to explain that it seems strange that the radios in a variety of other less expensive cars (and even a $100 aftermarket radio I put in my wife's car) worked fine in the heat and that BMW should be able to supply a radio that works in the heat, he said "I didn't design the radio."
I think this guy should look into another job that doesn't involve customer service, but perhaps that type answer is acceptable now. I'm expecting to hear "It's not my fault. I didn't build the car." from him if I ever have a breakdown.

Sorry for the log story, but the bottom line appears to be that nothing will be done with mine, UNLESS you get yours replaced and it fixes the problem. If it does, please send the part number of the replacement. He told me there was no new part number so the replacement would be the same. Of course, he didn't check to see before saying that!

Thanks for your help with this.
Here is what my receipt says:

Cust stated radio display missing pixels/distorted.

Tech 2873- updated vehicle software, without CAS
Tech 2079- Connected battery charger and ran vehicle test:
Entered radio service mode and performed display tests. Per test results, replaced the radio professional unit and sent to reprogram.
Rad2 fault diagnostic code: D6510 Rad2000 90 002

FP NUMBER: 65-12-9-170-329

The funny thing is that now, the top radio is very very bright, and the bottom seems dim now xD. The bottom though still works and is visible, no distortion or anything.

Will let you know how it looks later in the heat : )

edit: here is the picture of this guy from 3 series forum. He got the HD radio unit, but I am not sure if he had it or not before. The way he wrote made it seem like they gave him a new HD radio.

edit again xD: I compared my number radio with his, and I got the same radio xD. Mine is 65-12-9-170-329 as well, but then it says W2459

Last edited by Greenkirby21; 07-28-2011 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #24
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
Here is what my receipt says:

Cust stated radio display missing pixels/distorted.

Tech 2873- updated vehicle software, without CAS
Tech 2079- Connected battery charger and ran vehicle test:
Entered radio service mode and performed display tests. Per test results, replaced the radio professional unit and sent to reprogram.
Rad2 fault diagnostic code: D6510 Rad2000 90 002

FP NUMBER: 65-12-9-170-329

The funny thing is that now, the top radio is very very bright, and the bottom seems dim now xD. The bottom though still works and is visible, no distortion or anything.

Will let you know how it looks later in the heat : )
Thanks! I'll look forward to hearing how it looks in the heat.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #25
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Thanks! I'll look forward to hearing how it looks in the heat.
updated my post above, while its not my picture, I have the exact same error code and radio replacemnet,

you might want to send this to your SA
      07-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
updated my post above, while its not my picture, I have the exact same error code and radio replacemnet,

you might want to send this to your SA
Thanks! I will certainly send it or show it to someone if it turns out that your new radio display works well in the heat. If your new one still fades out when it's over 100 I'll just live with mine and save myself dealing with the dealer.

Every interaction with the SA ends up near an argument when I get a "not my fault, why are you complaining to me?" response like the "I didn't design the radio" yesterday. After they changed the oil and washed my car yesterday it looked awful, worse than when I took it in. When I told the SA, he actually said, "we don't wash them, we contract that out so there's nothing we can do about it." I don't know if this is standard procedure at BMW dealers since this is the first one I've owned that I took in for service or if it's just this SA. Either way it's a pain in the ass and I don't have much patience with it.
Appreciate 0