BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Cleaning off bugs

When I was on my road trip this weekend my car got pelted with bugs while driving through central CA at dusk. The whole front end, the mirrors and even portions of the roof are covered in dead bugs.

My question is how do I go about removing those well enough that none of them end up under the invisible bra I plan to have installed this weekend. (unfortunately I couldn't get an appointment for the bra before I left on the trip) Normally I would just go to the local coin op car wash and hose them off with the high pressure spray, but I'm not sure if that will be good enough to get them all off for the bra install. I've never actually waxed a car before, so if something that extensive is required I may just need to take it to a detailer and have it done for me.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
I've been removing bugs with Mequires Quick Detailer and my right thumb nail and a microfiber cloth. Soak with detailer, gently dislodge guts with thumb nail, then wipe with cloth............Then go get the next bug carcas !!!

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

If you are going to wax your car be sure that you wash it first with dish soap so that you are sure the prior layer of wax is entirely stripped off the car.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

If I were you I would clay bar the front before getting the clear bra put on. I don't know if you are supposed to have wax on the car before you put a clear bra on or not. I would ask the installer that.

You really want to make sure that there are no imperfections in the paint before putting on a clear bra. Any imperfections will be magnified under the clear bra.

Just my 2 cents
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
968PORSCHE
968PORSCHE
United_States
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE 968

call the installer, he will probably clean it the way it needs to be done. Then ask a detailer or go to a detailer forum for advise. Took me a long time to figure out how to clean a car but there is no reason you can't learn it fast. I think Auto geek.com is a good start. Don't use dishsoap, ever! I used to do that till I learned I was slowly ruining my paint. It just sucks the oils out of the paint and dries it out. Rennlist has some good stuff on detailing, those guys are pretty annal but they have alot to offer.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

You should check out the Wash & Wax section of S2ki.com

There is tons of great info about what products to use/not use and procederes for every cleaning job you can think of. Just don't tell them you don't own an S2000:wink:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
enzo65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MCS, 135i, F348ts SS

NEVER USE DISH SOAP! This not only strips your car of previous wax coats but also over time damages your clear coat and paint. You should clay your car after you wash and before you wax to remove all the bugs and dirt from your paint.

When you get bug guts on your paint, it starts to eat away at the clear coat and if you don't remove them quickly, say within 24 hrs or less, it will leave marks in the clear coat that will never come off. It is easiest to get them off if you wash the car right after the bugs hit. Don't let them sit. I grew up with lovebugs in Florida and they are the worst.

In the future, if you keep your car waxed, the bug guts will easily wash off. It's more of a preventive maintenance thing. The more you sweat up front the less work you have later on. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

As mentioned NEVER use SOAP!!!!

I always use Meg's NXT Quick Detailer and try and do it while they are 'fresh'.

If your car is waxed they should come off easily.

It's much easier to use the Quick detailer, a chammy requires scrubbing!!!

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The big help is having a couple of coats of wax down on the surface of the paint to intercept the bug juice. I've been pleased with the Meguiars Quick Detailer also to remove the detritus.

I try to get them off immediately after a run. They're thick in the evening around the river/streams we have nearby.

Keep the bottle in the trunk with an appropriate sized towel. (I got a 16 oz bottle with a bath towel to fit in the little compartment under the trunk floor panel next to the battery.)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Keep the bottle in the trunk with an appropriate sized towel. (I got a 16 oz bottle with a bath towel to fit in the little compartment under the trunk floor panel next to the battery.)

My wife think's I have 'issues' because I take my Quick Detailer with me! People sometimes look at me strangely when I am parked up and wiping the flies from my car...

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Just a few comments-

Bug's are bad, they will etch into the clear in a very short time. My recommendation is to wash the car and remove the bugs the best you can. (use lots of soap and water and a microfiber cloth to get the bugs off). I would then use a good pre-wax cleaner or even a Over the counter polish.

The clay bar is an OK recommendation, but I have found that using the clay bar does not really remove hard defects clinging to the paint. Also, a negative effect of the clay is it can micro mar the clear coat if there is not enough lubrication. For those with a Halogen work light, this is easily identified.

As for the comment about using dish soap, I don't think his intent was to wash your car every time with dish soap. It is recommended by Zaino that you wash your car with Dawn dish soap prior to applying Zaino(FOR THE FIRST TIME). This will work also if your starting a new wax process. The dawn will break down the old layers of wax/sealant on your paint, giving you a clean surface to apply your new product.

Depending on how long it will be until you get a clear bra installed, I would put some wax sealant on your car nose/hood/mirrors to help protect if from further bug kills. Your installer will remove this protection prior to installing the clear bra.

Also just as MOFF said, always carry some quik detailer and a microfiber in your trunk. If you get an air attack from a Pigeon, they can do some serious damage if the droppings are not removed immediatly.
      06-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post

My wife think's I have 'issues' because I take my Quick Detailer with me! People sometimes look at me strangely when I am parked up and wiping the flies from my car...

I'm with you 100%. I work hard for my money and love my 135i, its a lot more that just a car... it's an ADDICTiON:thumbup:
      06-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I've never actually waxed a car before...

Dan
Dan, you slay me! "I've never actually waxed a car before." Thanks for the humor today. It was a little light until I read that.

Um, no real advice to give you. Maybe a wash with Dawn Ultra liquid detergent. According to zainostore.com you would use it this one time only and never again. Then whatever the other more experienced guys are telling you.

Never waxed a car before... ROTFLMAO!!
      06-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
Justin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Get some Bug and Tar Remover. Meguiars and many others make a product. btw, high pressure spraying is bad for your paint. The extra anal-retentive like myself won't even use an attachment on the hose. I just let the water run onto the paint. This helps it sheet-off, drying better without water spots.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #15
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Driver View Post
Dan, you slay me! "I've never actually waxed a car before." Thanks for the humor today. It was a little light until I read that.

Um, no real advice to give you. Maybe a wash with Dawn Ultra liquid detergent. According to zainostore.com you would use it this one time only and never again. Then whatever the other more experienced guys are telling you.

Never waxed a car before... ROTFLMAO!!
Glad to give you a chuckle, but I'm 100% serious! I've never waxed a car. I've always just gone to the coin op wash place and washed the car the best I could. In fact after about a year of owning a car I tend to get lazy and end up only washing the car every few months. I guess I'm just not your typical obsessed BMW owner.

I ended up just taking the car to the coin op car wash and giving it a through scrubbing. I think I got most of the bugs off, but a few of the bigger ones did leave a slight mark you can see if you look at the car from a specific angle. Because of this I think I'm going to have it professionally detailed before I have the bra put on.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #16
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Get some Bug and Tar Remover.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

This is everything you need. Griots works incredibly well.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I got a few very faint swirls when removing bugs with the Meguilar's QD and a Microfiber cloth. Is it crazy to suggest using some warm water to get them off first, then following up with the QD to get rid of that excess debris? I'm thinking that BMW should sell 135's to exterminators based on the amount of bugs im taking out
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #19
ihatepostmodernism
Private
Rep
Drives:

I started using Meguiars Quick Detailer and it is working quite well.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:23 AM   #20
Jaxs328
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jet Black 328i

For bug removal I often use the Meguiars Quick Detailer and the NXT 2.0 (New Version) -

Some Good Video Info Here ...

http://www.meguiars.com/video/index.cfm
Appreciate 0