BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

How will the Suspension Feel?

Any guesses on how the sport suspension will feel for the North American Market?

Will it be a semi sport setup like we see in some 3ers and 5ers?

Or will it be a true sport suspension that will make us enthusiasts proud?

Wish List:
Spring rates 25% more stiff than the standard 1er
Matching tuned sport dampers
Sway bars 20 - 25% larger than the standard 1er
Increased front camber rate over standard 1er
1.25 inch lower ride height over standard 1er
Non Run flat performance tires
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My hunch is it will feel very similar to the 130i MSport, which has been described as quite fun but soft in the rear (to promote LSD-less traction), and a bit skittish over bumpy pavement. EVO had a great test of the 130i MSport which clearly described the driving characteristics. The soft rear bugged them at times, but overall it sounded pretty fun.

I have been mulling this one over, too, though; personally, I'd like something RAW and elemental... I don't think we'll get that with the 1er coupe. It's not an M-car, and it has no LSD, so BMW will probably stick with their already tried-and-true 1er setup. It should be very good over the road, but I don't think driving it will be like crack to an addict...

I'm not sure how you derived your list above, perhaps you've driven a 1er MSport before and had a host of issues. If so... That doesn't bode well for us, IMO, as I don't think we'll get that many changes over the MSport suspension on the 130i.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Hey Ducati, thanks for your reply.

Truthfully, I have not driven any variants of the 1er yet. However, I am eagerly looking forward to a real life chance to drive one.

I derived at my wish list based on upgrades I've done to prior bmws to make the suspension more to my liking.

Like you, I too prefer a more raw and rooted feeling from the suspension. My E30 M3 has H&R race springs and Bilsteins all around with Ireland sway bars. Which makes it very tight, tossable, and fun. Similarly, my E36 M3 has a Ground Control coil over setup with Koni adjustable dampers. Likewise, this setup is also tossable and fun, but not punishing at all to me. And a night and day difference over the stock M suspension!

As of now, I am planning to lease the 135. So my hopes are for a very crisp suspension system, and as with leasing I can't be tinkering with the underpinnings! Hoping that it is perfect outta the box! However, I know my preferences are not that of the average buyer.

Thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

IIRC - there was a quote somewhere, that the 135i M pkg was getting a suspension upgrade. :iono:
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The last C&D write up said the 135i would get performance rubber with the package. Now that could just be a figure of speech with the run flats and not factually accurate. I'm hoping it is factual and we get the same rubber as the M3s. As with everything else at this point, this is pure speculation:mad:
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I'm pretty sure I read a quote from somebody at BMW saying that the coupe suspension is unique to the coupe, and that they spent quite a bit of time "getting it right" since they are positioning this car as the return to their spiritual roots. I took that to mean it's not necessarily going to be the 130i stuff lifted off and transplanted.
      08-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I hope for raw and nasty, but I don't think we'll get it. I may have to look to STi/EVO if I want really raw and nasty... Although the latest STi looks a little soft, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
Brownergy
135i FTW
Rep
Drives:

I agree on the STI/EVO comment. IMO, with BMW adding such serious brake hardware on the 1 and them describing it as more track ready car, I think the 135i's suspension will be pretty stout.
Mitsu EVO X (white)
Garrett is a tool, nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Like just about any BMW, it should be taught but soak up bumps like a champ, and not get willy nilly in bumpy turns. It will want to stay collected unless you push it really hard. I suspect the turn in will be tuned significantly sharper than the 3er.

Most of all, hopefully it will be telepathic like my 04 ZHP, not numb and distant like the 335i Coupe I test drove...

Give up on any hopes of raw. Even the M3 isn't "raw."

Balanced will be the word to describe it.

My biggest concern is the electric steering. They get that wrong, and it could be like a video game. I detest the electric steering on the new Minis. Totally detached feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
Brownergy
135i FTW
Rep
Drives:

kurichan, have you ever driven an S2000? I'd like to know what your opinions are. It has EPS (Electric Power Steering), some say that really numbs the feel. I can't say I've ever felt the steering was too vague. I guess with the rear being some steerable with the pedal, the lack of actual steering feel might be illusive, but I can't say I've ever driven a Porsche or Ferrari that might show me what feel is really like.

Point being, is the BMW's steering feel the same as the S2000's, if it is, it might be translusive for me, if it's worse, I might find it aggravating. Thanks in advance for your input.
Mitsu EVO X (white)
Garrett is a tool, nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownergy View Post
kurichan, have you ever driven an S2000? I'd like to know what your opinions are. It has EPS (Electric Power Steering), some say that really numbs the feel. I can't say I've ever felt the steering was too vague. I guess with the rear being some steerable with the pedal, the lack of actual steering feel might be illusive, but I can't say I've ever driven a Porsche or Ferrari that might show me what feel is really like.
I have driven several S2000s for a good deal of time, but never had a chance to really push them.

Trying to remember "feel" is tough - I wish I could climb behind the wheel of one right now to check it out.

I don't remember ever being disappointed, nor do I remember being especially wowed by the S2000 steering either.

I've driven 996 Turbos (disappointing heavy GT feel) and a Ferrari which was sublime and telepathic (blows away everything I've ever driven before), but those are hydrau-mechanical, right?

Probably the best combination of feel and balance, except for the Ferrari, that I've experienced, is my 04 ZHP. Sure it's on the heavy side, but it spoke to me.

I liked my modded WRX, but it was a bit light. The AWD made up for it - loved the feeling of both pushing and pulling through a tight corner. But I like the heavier ZHP feel in the steering wheel.

But my weekend car (170 HP, 1250 lbs, mid engine) is the most fun. It drifts sublimely!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

what is your weekend car?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep