BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hawk or Carbotech Track pads??

Hey everyone,

Looking at making the step up to track pads in my 135i. Looking at the Hawk HT10's or the Carbotech XP10/XP8(f/r) combo. I'm an intermediate driver at best, but I'm just tired of my stock brembo pads fading in this 90+* summer weather.

Has anyone tried both and have any insight on what I should go with? The HT10's are a little bit more cost effective and I've had great luck with Hawk pads in the past.

Also, if I plan on switching back to street pads for normal driving, will I need dedicated rotors for each set of pads to prevent the need for rebedding, etc?

Thanks,
Eric
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Hey I ran the carbotech 10/8 f&r solids pads decent life had no issues with fading really.

I then switched to Hawk DTC 70s f/r think this was a great setup and preferred it over the carbotechs. The stopping power just seemed better and I can't recall ever feeling any fade. They do unleash an insane amount of dust, I think carbotechs did too.

Also I used the same rotors and would swap back to stock pads for the winter. I drove on the street with the hawks and carbotechs haha. No issues with bedding, do what you want but think it's overkill, you aren't racing F1 or Lemans.

That's my 2c, hope it helps!
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
yokomo963
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post
Hey I ran the carbotech 10/8 f&r solids pads decent life had no issues with fading really.

I then switched to Hawk DTC 70s f/r think this was a great setup and preferred it over the carbotechs. The stopping power just seemed better and I can't recall ever feeling any fade. They do unleash an insane amount of dust, I think carbotechs did too.

Also I used the same rotors and would swap back to stock pads for the winter. I drove on the street with the hawks and carbotechs haha. No issues with bedding, do what you want but think it's overkill, you aren't racing F1 or Lemans.

Thanks, definately helps with the decision making process. I already purchased rear XP8's... but I think I'm gonna order the Hawk HT10's for the front since they're on sale for $192 on tirerack right now!

As far as the rotors, I was just mainly wondering if the deposits of different compounds for track vs street pads would cause issues using the same rotors. I would rather just use one set if possible just for the reason you said, I'm not racing for points or merit, but rather just a hobby to have fun. Guess I'll just do a really thorough cleaning with brake cleaner inbetween pad swaps.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokomo963 View Post
Quote:

Thanks, definately helps with the decision making process. I already purchased rear XP8's... but I think I'm gonna order the Hawk HT10's for the front since they're on sale for $192 on tirerack right now!

As far as the rotors, I was just mainly wondering if the deposits of different compounds for track vs street pads would cause issues using the same rotors. I would rather just use one set if possible just for the reason you said, I'm not racing for points or merit, but rather just a hobby to have fun. Guess I'll just do a really thorough cleaning with brake cleaner inbetween pad swaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokomo963 View Post
Quote:

Ha, just realized you bought the XP8s from me they will last forever.... it really matters what you have up front, give the hawks a try decent price. Like you said get out and have some fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #5
joeo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson Red 135i

Garage List
2009 BMM 135i  [9.50]
I've tried a lot of pads - the PFC08s, Pagid 29s, or ST43s last the longest. Of those the ST43s have the most bite, but I believe the Pagids may have the best feel for trail braking. The DTC60s, and 70s lasted the shortest; but substantially shorter than the ones mentioned. I don't think I've ever run the HT10s.
Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

joeo do you know the part number for the ST43 front pads?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:31 AM   #7
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Pagid 29 yellows are amazing, coming from PFC08 and Raybestos 43s.