BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

With the most recent spy pics of an upcoming BMW X6, does this mean.....

.... does this mean the launch of the 2-series (aka 1 series coupe aka whatever they call it), will be delayed even further? I wonder about this, becuase we are seeing the X6 in fairly finished form covered up by cladding and seems to be further along then the 2series which we've only seen in cabrio form so far. Its just my personal worries, since BMW is still a small enough company that it can only handle one full car launch at a time (in terms of a new car, not including launching variants)....
      11-27-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
.... does this mean the launch of the 2-series (aka 1 series coupe aka whatever they call it), will be delayed even further? I wonder about this, becuase we are seeing the X6 in fairly finished form covered up by cladding and seems to be further along then the 2series which we've only seen in cabrio form so far. Its just my personal worries, since BMW is still a small enough company that it can only handle one full car launch at a time (in terms of a new car, not including launching variants)....
I hope not. I have only about a year until my next purchase and I really want it to be a 2 coupe. Hopefully we get some solid news soon....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

2er will be an evolution of the existing vehicle, whereas X6 will be brand new. I'd say the 2er is a relatively easy launch for BMW so I wouldn't worry too much about delay. Also, current trends would suggest the 2er would be a more important vehicle than the X6. Who needs another SUV anyway? The trend is toward compact cars and the 2er would be much higher volume and visibility for BMW...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

It s just incredable that bmw makes such a secret of the new 2er coupe.

No one has ever seen one. Not even spy pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Actually we've seen a lot more images of the fat-suit 2-series cabrio than the X6, incl a video of it lapping the track at the Nurburgring.

My guess is that BMW thinks that the market...especially N/A is ga-ga over SUV's/SAV's- and is pounding out as much pre-release hype as it can.

The whole thing is so coy and deliberate.
We are being manipulated.
I feel like I'm ringside at the longest strip-tease that's ever been staged.
I expect both models to appear within 6 mos. of each other...with the 2-series coupe coming out first....before the X6.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Brookside
Major
Rep

Fat-Suit X6- said to be heavily disguised to look Volvo X70/Porsche Cayenne-ish.
The rear is super-camoed...supposed to have a coupe-like
roof line/heavy sloping inward.
Runs on X5 components.BIG.

BMW wants this thing to be seen now....note that these are hi-res pics.
Why do I have the sinking suspicion that someone
(solve the clue: WMB spelled backwards)
tipped off a pro-photog to be standing on such-and-such corner at such-and-such time????

Termed a "SAC"...sports-activity-coupe. Love these acronyms. You gotta sac I gotta sac.
A redefinition of what North America really really wants - now that Ford Explorers are passe?

Right now I feel so jaded about this thing. It doesn't feel like a BMW to me...nor do the rest of their SUV's.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 12:33 AM   #7
bum944
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Looks like they have some work to do on the fit and finish!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Much chance of anyone starting a site called www.6addicts.com? I think not. SUVs are popular, but are people really passionate about them? Maybe some off-roaders, X-Terra types.

BMW would be crazy to put too much emphasis on the launch of an R-series competitor (apparently sales of the Mercedes R-series have been dull, at best) at the expense of a revival car like the 1/2-series.

The 2er, I think, will be a revival car. Much like the MX-5, the Beetle and the Mini, but with the authenticity of the 2002. It will be a BMW, of course, so it won't be differentiated from the BMW image like the Beetle and the Mini are from their parent-companies. But it will really provide the market with something the market is screaming for, in the same way it was screaming for an affordable roadster when the MX-5 was launched in 1989. The 2er will be a sporty, high performance, yet reasonably practical, rear-drive, premium compact that will serve as a very attractive entry-level into the world of BMW. The fact that this site is as successful as it is, only realy on the basis of a rumor, some spy photos and a Europe-only pre-cursor model, is a testament to how much enthusiasts want what the 2er should provide. If we can discuss this much about a car we haven't even seen, imagine the popularity of this site once the 2er is launched! That's why BMW needs to launch this car and it is proof that, as good as the Merc and Audi offerings are in the premium compact segment are, they are not good enough to distract enthustists from what the 2er will be...

The X6 won't do any of this. It will only provide another high-priced option to Moms and Dads that want to cart their kids around in an "Ultimate Driving Machine". Actually, I'm not sure how it will adequately differentiate itself from the X5.

BMW would be crazy to let the 2er slide in favor of the X6...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Much chance of anyone starting a site called www.6addicts.com? I think not. SUVs are popular, but are people really passionate about them? Maybe some off-roaders, X-Terra types.

BMW would be crazy to put too much emphasis on the launch of an R-series competitor (apparently sales of the Mercedes R-series have been dull, at best) at the expense of a revival car like the 1/2-series.

The 2er, I think, will be a revival car. Much like the MX-5, the Beetle and the Mini, but with the authenticity of the 2002. It will be a BMW, of course, so it won't be differentiated from the BMW image like the Beetle and the Mini are from their parent-companies. But it will really provide the market with something the market is screaming for, in the same way it was screaming for an affordable roadster when the MX-5 was launched in 1989. The 2er will be a sporty, high performance, yet reasonably practical, rear-drive, premium compact that will serve as a very attractive entry-level into the world of BMW. The fact that this site is as successful as it is, only realy on the basis of a rumor, some spy photos and a Europe-only pre-cursor model, is a testament to how much enthusiasts want what the 2er should provide. If we can discuss this much about a car we haven't even seen, imagine the popularity of this site once the 2er is launched! That's why BMW needs to launch this car and it is proof that, as good as the Merc and Audi offerings are in the premium compact segment are, they are not good enough to distract enthustists from what the 2er will be...

The X6 won't do any of this. It will only provide another high-priced option to Moms and Dads that want to cart their kids around in an "Ultimate Driving Machine". Actually, I'm not sure how it will adequately differentiate itself from the X5.

BMW would be crazy to let the 2er slide in favor of the X6...

Very good points on all fronts, and I agree and think you are correct on each and every point.

But there is one problem, from a dollar manager's perspective, the X6 is more important then the 2 series, since it would be a MUCH higher profit vehicle. Even moreso if it brings in more SUV sales to BMW from the infiniti FX, supercharged rover, etc.. crowd to augment its X5 sales. From that point of view, the X6 is just as if not more important then the 2 series.

Im always afraid the marketing department at BMW is way too powerful, especially since BMW is always on edge of being bought out since its so small comparativly (one of the reasons for BMWs entire entrance into the previously unthinkable SUV market).

So yes, the 2series is the real enthusiast car, with all the sports credibility to go with it, but the almightly dollar might push it back on the agenda?

As I said, just thought aloud... depressing thoughts...
      11-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
But there is one problem, from a dollar manager's perspective, the X6 is more important then the 2 series, since it would be a MUCH higher profit vehicle. Even moreso if it brings in more SUV sales to BMW from the infiniti FX, supercharged rover, etc.. crowd to augment its X5 sales. From that point of view, the X6 is just as if not more important then the 2 series.

As I said, just thought aloud... depressing thoughts...
I'm afraid I agree.
Infiniti FX and Rover are ideal poaching territory for the X6. And for every person, like myself, who thinks that BMW is watering down their image
with product like the X6, there will be those who will rejoice, like N/A BMW dealers who must be salivating at the profits they'll pile up on this thing.

Connoiseurship...the knowing ability to discern, is thought of as a term from another era.
It's been replaced by consumership- the ability to recognize which brands denote status.

BMW- the Ultimate Hauling Machine

I do think...well maybe hope is a better term, that the 2-coupe, is less than a year away.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

I guess you're both right. Not that it makes much difference though. We know they're bringing the 2er hear at some point -- they've said it publicly. And I'm sure it will be everything it should be in spite of the bean counters etc.

Brookside's quote re: connoiseurship gets to the heart of why we're on this site. Were it only about driving a car with the blue and white propellor on the hood, we'd have little to say. I think the enthusiasts that continue to impatiently wait for the 2er understand and accept that the BMW brand denotes a certain status, but, more importantly, understand, appreciate and are passionate about the qualities that have enabled the brand to earn that status.

Despite the SUVs, I'm sure there are some passionate people in BMW to which some of our musings have filtered...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

The whole thing is so coy and deliberate.
We are being manipulated.
I feel like I'm ringside at the longest strip-tease that's ever been staged.
I'm of the opinion that BMW is playing a marketing game with Audi as to who gets most media attention in N/A with the 1er Coupe/Cab vs the A3 Cab respectively.
I think that BMW will want Audi to play the A3 Cab card at the NAIAS and in Toronto early 2007 (as planned) and then kill the A3 buzz with the 1er coupe/cab announcements..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 08:19 AM   #13
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Good theory. Has the A3 been a success? I don't find it to be that inspiring.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #14
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Good theory. Has the A3 been a success? I don't find it to be that inspiring.
Not here in the US. I rarely see them. I'm expecting to see a ton more 2er coupe/cabrio/sedans running around than A3's that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 02:18 PM   #15
Brookside
Major
Rep

Originally Posted on GCZ.com Thursday, November 30/2006 by AdvEvo
"But why oh why do we see no spy pics at all of the 1er or 2er coupe. What so secret about that car which the m3 doesn t have."

EniLab- "Because cabrio will be the first of two 2ers to be launched. Also it needs much more testing time due cabrio construction and related issues: folding roof reliability & stability, and body rigidity.

2er coupe will have almost the same chassis & body structure (expect roof from B-pillar on) as E81 1er 3dr hatch. And right now all the chassis, drive train & other essential testings were done with 3dr 1er hatch. All that is needed is putting an original 2er copue body & sheet metal on the finally developed chassis & do some additional tests & fine tuning to suspension, steering & brakes.

Earliest time we will start to see camouflaged 2er coupe with original design when E81 ends its FEP phases & chassis is production ready.

We are talking about a few weeks here."
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 05:09 PM   #16
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Earliest time we will start to see camouflaged 2er coupe with original design when E81 ends its FEP phases & chassis is production ready.

We are talking about a few weeks here."
Do you think we may see the intro of the 1er Cab or Coupe at the upcoming NAIAS?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #17
Brookside
Major
Rep

That's in December isn't it?
It'd be great, but I honestly have no idea.
What I think EniLab is saying is that we'll start to see a heavily camoed
coupe in the next few weeks.
Also, if I'm getting the gist of his post, the 2-coupe will have a similar frontend as the restyled 1-series hatch.
I still think that the ps that Harold uses for the 2addicts banner is very close to what we'll see as a final product -
but I don't have a shred of inside info.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #18
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Does that keep it on track as a 2008 model, or are we talking 2009?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
Brookside
Major
Rep

2008 model year?
I hadn't thought about it like that.
2008 seems right.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #20
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's in December isn't it?
Nyet... It's in mid January in Motown...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #21
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I can believe that it will come out as a 2008 model year car, thats cutting it close, but BMW can launch a car easily in that timeframe. But im 100% sure we wont be seeing much of this car until after a few key launches, namely the E92 M3 (which should be very very soon!)