BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #177
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 coming soon...

You should probably call him and ask him. Also, make sure you use the down arrows to make sure you were seeing all of your options?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #178
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian's bmw View Post
As a proud respondent to your Rizzo method offer, I'm glad that you finally got your production number and that your order is finally in the system.

As I mentioned before, until I see a signed buyer's order, I will continue to be skeptical of the offer you've claimed to have received from this dealer.

Indeed, I speculated based on the available information at the time that you either ordered from Valley (who didn't have an allocation) or after considerable time, the center you've ordered from failed or delayed to put your order in the system. Now that it's in there, I feel compelled to congratulate you on your future BMW purchase at least for now.

I pity the BMW center you ordered your 135i from if they really did do this below market deal. I know who the center is and I feel sorry for them. If they took this deal on their one and only 08 135i allocation that they'll get for the whole year, well, let's just say you can't operate a business with your tail between your legs.

For those of you very few 1 ED guys who've claimed to earn $1,000 over ED invoice for your 1 Series ED's, let's just say that those centers really took net losses for you guys. I pity them as well for having the lack of knowledge that they're giving up alot more than just an allocation to BMW ED. For those BMW centers who have respectfully declined to give up their allocations to ED, I know they recognize the true ramifications of donating coveted 1 allocations.
I don't know about the rest of you...but this reponse to me seems bitter (for lack of a better word)...
If there are folks on here that are getting great deals, so be it...lets be happy for them...why would anybody question the decisions of the dealers that made the sale?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #179
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
I don't know how coveted those allocations are. I spoke to my CA over the weekend and he did a check with quite a few local dealers, there are still many allocations to go around. I'm willing to bet, alot of people are turned off having to pay MSRP, if not more.
      04-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #180
TDuncan21
Rep
Drives:

I didn't use the Payne method above, but I did send a bunch of emails out in the past 24 hrs asking for lease offers on a 128i convertible with the sport package. MSRP = $39,945 (incl. $775 dest. fee); invoice = $36,800 (incl. $775 dest. fee).

Option A: One dealer replied with: I am willing to sell/lease you this car for $37,485 + Tax and State (CA) fees.

Option B: Another replied with: I can lease you a 2008 BMW 128i convertible @ a price of $38,770. LEASE: With a total drive off of $4,750, your payments would be $479 + tax ($519, including tax). This structure is based on 36 months and 10,000 miles per year.

On Option A, I haven't seen the lease terms yet, but obviously I like the price point. On Option B, I asked for less money down on the drive-off, a longer lease term and upping the mileage to 12k/year.

There are a lot of smart people here who breathe this stuff, so does anyone have any thoughts as to these prices and/or deals at this stage? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #181
adrian's bmw
Here to help
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330Cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
I don't know about the rest of you...but this reponse to me seems bitter (for lack of a better word)...
If there are folks on here that are getting great deals, so be it...lets be happy for them...why would anybody question the decisions of the dealers that made the sale?
Yeah, you're right. It's a little bitter. It also has a teaspoon of sadness, a dash of sympathy, and a small helping of kudos.

In the end, I'm happy for Payne. I think he took advantage of a perfect opportunity where a dealer didn't recognize the availability or scarcity of the 135i and paniced and took a ridiculous deal on a 135i. I think you'd be bitter, too, where here you are having no allocations and plenty of people knocking on the door for one and willing to pay all the money and someone else gives it away. In other words, I'm happier for Robert, but perplexed at why the dealer he went with had to go that low.

But you're right, why would I question why a dealer who's getting just 1 or 2 135i allocations every three months make the decision to take a small margin on a car that's commanding a stronger margin in the market that not many dealers have? Because it lowers the value bar for other centers who are trying to sell the 135i and sets a precedent that's unnecessary and difficult to justify when demand is outstripping supply.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #182
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Sometimes you just have to be lucky....

for example...

I won a decent sum of money today when I got a call and a tip about a horse...usually on monday I stay at work but today I had gone at lunch to get a haircut...so I was free to stop at home and make a bet....

no haircut...no bet...no money...

no uninformed dealer...no great deal....

life's funny...but sometimes the breaks go your way....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #183
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian's bmw View Post
Yeah, you're right. It's a little bitter. It also has a teaspoon of sadness, a dash of sympathy, and a small helping of kudos.

In the end, I'm happy for Payne. I think he took advantage of a perfect opportunity where a dealer didn't recognize the availability or scarcity of the 135i and paniced and took a ridiculous deal on a 135i. I think you'd be bitter, too, where here you are having no allocations and plenty of people knocking on the door for one and willing to pay all the money and someone else gives it away. In other words, I'm happier for Robert, but perplexed at why the dealer he went with had to go that low.

But you're right, why would I question why a dealer who's getting just 1 or 2 135i allocations every three months make the decision to take a small margin on a car that's commanding a stronger margin in the market that not many dealers have? Because it lowers the value bar for other centers who are trying to sell the 135i and sets a precedent that's unnecessary and difficult to justify when demand is outstripping supply.
I agree with much of what you write..but I don't think one case like this lowers the bar at all.

JMO...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #184
TDuncan21
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDuncan21 View Post
I didn't use the Payne method above, but I did send a bunch of emails out in the past 24 hrs asking for lease offers on a 128i convertible with the sport package. MSRP = $39,945 (incl. $775 dest. fee); invoice = $36,800 (incl. $775 dest. fee).

Option A: One dealer replied with: I am willing to sell/lease you this car for $37,485 + Tax and State (CA) fees.

Option B: Another replied with: I can lease you a 2008 BMW 128i convertible @ a price of $38,770. LEASE: With a total drive off of $4,750, your payments would be $479 + tax ($519, including tax). This structure is based on 36 months and 10,000 miles per year.

On Option A, I haven't seen the lease terms yet, but obviously I like the price point. On Option B, I asked for less money down on the drive-off, a longer lease term and upping the mileage to 12k/year.

There are a lot of smart people here who breathe this stuff, so does anyone have any thoughts as to these prices and/or deals at this stage? Thanks.

Updating... Option A is offering the following lease deals - The Total "Out the Door" price, including all taxes and reg fees would come to $41,039.90. Breakdown; $37,485 - Car, $3,190.90 - taxes, $364 - Reg fees.

These lease quotes are with $3,000 total out of pocket and include all CA taxes (xx county) and fees. 1st mos payment included in the drive off fees. These quotes also assume 12,000 miles per year. You could do more or less money out of pocket and the payment would go up or down accordingly.

60 month - $539.38 (59 payments)
36 month - $545.53 (35 payments)
24 month - $495.22 (23 payments)

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #185
pwillcutts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

$500 knocked off MSRP

I've told the dealer exactly what I want: a stripped down 135i with just the winter package add on to the standard model. He has a single open production slot to give me and told me I could get the car in 6 weeks from Germany. $500 off MSRP is all he could offer me. Am I getting hosed here? Or is this a fair deal ? Congrats on the deep discounts others got on this thread....hope it all works out. i just don't have the time to hunt for the best possible deal, but hope I'm not being taken advantage of either. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #186
OzF16
BMF
Rep
Drives:

I think most of us are paying MSRP. Getting any discount, especially with only one option is a good deal. If he's telling you 6 weeks, then it's about to go in production. You don't have much time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #187
pwillcutts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzF16 View Post
I think most of us are paying MSRP. Getting any discount, especially with only one option is a good deal. If he's telling you 6 weeks, then it's about to go in production. You don't have much time.
Thanks. Sorry, I should have added that what I'm looking to order is actually the Convertible 135i, albeit with just that one winter option added. I wonder if there's even less negotiating room with the convertibles? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #188
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Well, I've gotten my first order aborted. I'm still filling out the paperwork and everything on this second order. The good news is I gave them 3 dates in May so I won't have to wait any longer to get the car.

Even though I could have financed through PenFed, I'm going through BMW FS. They quoted me a really good rate (not better than PenFed). I was happy to raise the interest rate less than 1% since I got this good deal.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #189
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

My dealer didn't even hesitate at $530 off MSRP (it gives a nice round purchase price of $40k). I wish I had asked for more off now. :wink:

I highly recommend shopping around; these deals are out there if you're diligent in looking for them. On the other hand, I do NOT recommend going into a dealer, wasting five hours of a CA's time, and then walk when they don't take your offer of $3.5k off MSRP. I think this type of negotiating is best left to those that know exactly what they want and will minimize the impact to the CA's time, like the OP. If you have no idea what you're looking for, its worth the extra $$$ to get advice and answers from a knowledgable CA so you won't be disappointed later.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #190
lamini
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

noT A bad deal at all for both parties considering you were buying a VIN #
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #191
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Even though I could have financed through PenFed, I'm going through BMW FS. They quoted me a really good rate (not better than PenFed). I was happy to raise the interest rate less than 1% since I got this good deal.

I don't get it: so you worked hard to get $XXXX dollars off MSRP, and now you're going to give some of it back by knowingly financing at a higher rate? I plugged some numbers in an amortization table, and if you borrowed $35k, and financed at 5.00% (which is what I think BMW FA was offering for the 1) instead on 4.25% (which I guessed at as the rate you got through PenFed), you are giving back over $700 through the life of a 5-year loan.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #192
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
I don't get it: so you worked hard to get $XXXX dollars off MSRP, and now you're going to give some of it back by knowingly financing at a higher rate? I plugged some numbers in an amortization table, and if you borrowed $35k, and financed at 5.00% (which is what I think BMW FA was offering for the 1) instead on 4.25% (which I guessed at as the rate you got through PenFed), you are giving back over $700 through the life of a 5-year loan.
I'm only taking a a 48 month loan, and I'm only taking it out for $10,000, not 35. I'm not THAT stupid

EDIT: Woot! I got my production order number today

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #193
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 coming soon...

My status just got updated to "Awaiting Transport" !! Woohoo !!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup:
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #194
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
Sometimes you just have to be lucky....

for example...

I won a decent sum of money today when I got about a call and a tip about a horse...usually on monday I stay at work but today I had gone at lunch to get a haircut...so I was free to stop at home and make a bet....

no haircut...no bet...no money...

no uninformed dealer...no great deal....

life's funny...but sometimes the breaks go your way....
That's good view to take IMO.

People reading this thread should realize that Payne hit a jackpot deal, and probably should not expect a deal that great just because some guy somewhere else in the country was able to pull off a hot one. (You'll most likely be dissapointed if you do.)

Smart money folks know what they want well ahead of time, yes, but they also know when a market is red hot and offering very little wiggle room for dealing. If you're the kind of guy that has learned not to let cars cloud your judgment, you already know you'll be fine waiting 6-12 months until the hoopla dies down, and you'll likely get a great deal on either a new one or that perfect used one that some dude probably paid too much for because he had to have it...needed to have it NOW!:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #195
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
. . . you already know you'll be fine waiting 6-12 months until the hoopla dies down, and you'll likely get a great deal on either a new one or that perfect used one that some dude probably paid too much for because he had to have it . . . :biggrin:
Now you tell me! ; -)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #196
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
That is an awesome post and letter you wrote. I will definitely take it into consideration when its my time to purchase a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #197
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

When I bought my civic. I was in one dealership and negotiating with another on the phone. I had them working over me. That was pretty fun. Bottom line is I want the cheapest price and if you can work out a price that works mutually then we have a deal.
      04-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #198
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

This is similar to what I did when I was obtaining quotes on a car (BMW too) except I just emailed each dealer asking them for their best price on the car + my options. I made them aware I didnt want to waste their time and my time going back and forth. Had only one dealer respond but he had a very sharp price. The potential gain far outweighs the effort it takes. Well played to the OP!
Appreciate 0