BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #45
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post
Quick update - 999 Automotive Sydney have clearance stock of the older style Whiteline yellow bush kit going for $145. I'm waiting for the new black bush version but thought I'd let other interested members know.
Was the black version a stiffer material vs yellow? The Nolathane is 85A
I believe they're identical apart from the colour.
      08-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #46
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Installed a fair few of these bushings and have made some improvements to the tool.

One of the main issues was the front two bushings were very difficult to remove. The tool needed a piece of wood to support the PVC pipe which made it deform and the pulling force wasn't straight. This led to many tool breakages if the bushings were stubborn. This all stems fro mteh fact that the bushings have a lip that covers the subframe so a regular pipe of the correct diameter cannot be used to pull out the bushing.

The rear bushings are much easier to remove and the PVC pipe is much more successful at removing that bushing. The only problem is sometimes the bushing is a little stubborn and the PVC pipe can deform and start to slip off the subframe. This can be alleviated by applying sideways pressure on the impact gun while the bushing is being pulled out, but ideally a metal tool is required.

The proper tool is crazy expensive but gives a good reference of the type of tool required. The bushings have a lip but have two cutouts where the special tool can mount to the subframe:

Koch Tools Part #: KT20312 or KT20436 would be suitable:

Much too expensive! List price is $300, great if you are running a business but its not really feasible for a DIYer

Heres what I have come up with:

1. Modified Fuel pump tool

Used for the front bushings, adjustable width to fit the subframe and small enough to fit in the bushing cutouts. The fuel pump tool has a 1/2 square drive that I have just drilled out with a 12.5mm drill bit. This tool is a forged piece and is a fairly strong part.

I have machined off the face of the legs so the edges are as sharp as possible (to avoid tool slippage). If no machine tools available, an angle grinder or bench grinder will do the same thing.

2. High tensile M12 threaded rod with high tensile nut and M12 coupling nut

The M12 coupling nut (effectively a long nut) is tightened against a normal high tensile M12 nut. This fixes the nuts onto the threaded rod and is removable if the nuts ever need to be removed and reused. I found with the crappy bunnings galvanized threaded rod it would break easily. High tensile rod is much stronger, although even the high tensile rod can strip if not lubed up with heavy grease. Without the grease the rod will gall up and strip pretty easily.

These threaded rods are pretty much consumable items so its worth having a few backups. Ideally M14 or M16 rod would be better as the threads are larger and would be stronger.

3. M12 nut and washer

This is a custom part that has been machined on my lathe. I used one of the coupling nuts (shown in previous photos on the threaded rods). I machined half of the length coupling nut round, machined out a matching hole in a 10mm thick washer and press fitted them together. This ensures the nut is concentric with the washer, which reduces stress of the threaded rod. The coupling nut is much longer and allows for double the thread engagement vs the nut I was using before. The threads span from the top of the nut all the way to the bottom of the washer.

Press fitting them together means its quite snug, the nut must remain stationary, when the tool is in action the pulling force holds the washer against the subframe bushing, preventing it from spinning. This means you don't need to hold the top with a spanner until the bushing is almost fully out, making the precedure much easier.

The problem I had before is that the thread engagement of a single nut was that too much pressure was put on the threads, stripping them out easily.

4. 100mm galvanized pipe

Managed to source a short piece of metal pipe, its quite difficult to buy large pieces of metal in short lengths. This will ensure theres no deformation under pressure vs the PVC pipe. Although I am amazed at what the PVC pipe can do, this metal pipe will ensure no issues when removing the rear bushings. I machined the pipe to length and sanded off the galvanization to make it look nicer.

The barbell from the previous iteration of the tool is retained

Heres some pics of the tool assembled:

Heres a pic of the front tool in action:

The fuel pump tool works amazingly well vs the PVC pipe and block of wood. Well worth the effort in making the new tool! The only issue was that the tool did bend a little from the force and on the 2nd bushing, the tool did slip off. Quite surprising since the tool appears to be forged.

I beleive this can be fixed by simply using 2x fuel pump tools stacked on top of each other. They could be bolted together for strength but I think I will just weld them together instead. I have ordered a 2nd fuel pump tool and will stack them up for strength weld them together and update the thread. While the fuel pump tool can be used for the rears I will stick to using the pipe for the rears since the force can be evenly distributed vs only 2 small contact patches.

Have not tried the metal pipe for the rear bushings yet, but I am confident it will be an improvement. The PVC pipe tool still has the advantage of not scratching the subframe vs metal tools though.

Last edited by vtl; 08-21-2016 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 4
froop170.50
John_01232.00
      08-22-2016, 10:35 PM   #47
walkie86
Frog Lover
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E87 130i

Love the detailed DYI write-up, thanks mate!

Has anyone installed these on an E87 130i with stock M-sport suspension?
Appreciate 1
STfora2.00
      08-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #48
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkie86 View Post
Love the detailed DYI write-up, thanks mate!

Has anyone installed these on an E87 130i with stock M-sport suspension?
Well worth the mod, never driven a 1er hatch but have installed these on a lot of cars E90/E92/E82 and have never had anyone who didn't notice a huge improvement.

These can be ordered in from Repco too, actually ends up being slightly cheaper than the online places depending on the repco you order from.
      08-28-2016, 11:06 PM   #49
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Tested out the bushing tool (steel pipe) on the weekend. Worked flawlessly, the rear bushings on this car required a lot of force to remove (stripped the threaded rod) so it was great that I had this pipe otherwise the PVC would have most likely deformed and slipped off the subframe.

Worth noting you're definitely better off installing these bushings on stock suspension. I have found KW/ST rear shocks to be much shorter, not allowing the subframe to be lowered as much. Bilstein B8 shocks seem to extend just as far as OEM shocks though and didn't have issues with it.

Have never had to disconnect the shocks but in this instance with KW V2s fitted, I had all 4 subframe bolts removed and the subframe hanging from the rear shocks. Was a tight fit for the tool to fit in the front bushings, but managed to get it done by just wedging in the top nut.
Attached Images

08-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #50
Muppet
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Hello all,

Did this installation over the weekend. I used some of the tools vtl has described and found the following:

1. Having to small trolley jack would make it alot simpler. I used a trolley, scissor jack and blocks of wood.
2. To remove the fronts was easy by just placing a large socket between the body and the bush, jack up the sub frame or lower the body and add heat. Pretty well takes about a half hour for each to squeeze out. I used a paint stripper gun. Just be careful as these are close to the petrol tank. One just about fell out and looked a little the worst for wear after 61k.
3. The backs were harder. I made up a extractor with the plastic 100mm plumbing fitting, threaded stainless rod I had sitting around, 1/4", 2 very stout washers, one for the top and one for the bottom and a block made from 10mm ply. I soaked the bush in CRC before starting and needed to add heat to help it out. Finla extraction was by wriggling it with a right angle socket bar.

The whole change took 10 hours but that is mainly because I am not very skilled, making the tools as I went, sitting around contemplating things and 2 trolley jacks would be massively helpful.

I will do a bit of a review of the results in a few weeks as I have gone through a series of steps and leaving for a few weeks including pins, square rims with 245 and 255 RFTs and final step come adjustable front control arms.

One thing I can say is that at 80kms on a freeway roundabout there is lots of grip, not much roll and still a bit of steering load and a bit of understeer. Slow right angle corners and the tail can be kicked out easy, lots of turn in and throttle oversteer. Car now steers light and without nervousness and the rear follows terrain rather than floats over it.
Appreciate 3
vtl1492.00
      08-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #51
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Hello all,

Did this installation over the weekend. I used some of the tools vtl has described and found the following:

1. Having to small trolley jack would make it alot simpler. I used a trolley, scissor jack and blocks of wood.
2. To remove the fronts was easy by just placing a large socket between the body and the bush, jack up the sub frame or lower the body and add heat. Pretty well takes about a half hour for each to squeeze out. I used a paint stripper gun. Just be careful as these are close to the petrol tank. One just about fell out and looked a little the worst for wear after 61k.
3. The backs were harder. I made up a extractor with the plastic 100mm plumbing fitting, threaded stainless rod I had sitting around, 1/4", 2 very stout washers, one for the top and one for the bottom and a block made from 10mm ply. I soaked the bush in CRC before starting and needed to add heat to help it out. Finla extraction was by wriggling it with a right angle socket bar.

The whole change took 10 hours but that is mainly because I am not very skilled, making the tools as I went, sitting around contemplating things and 2 trolley jacks would be massively helpful.

I will do a bit of a review of the results in a few weeks as I have gone through a series of steps and leaving for a few weeks including pins, square rims with 245 and 255 RFTs and final step come adjustable front control arms.

One thing I can say is that at 80kms on a freeway roundabout there is lots of grip, not much roll and still a bit of steering load and a bit of understeer. Slow right angle corners and the tail can be kicked out easy, lots of turn in and throttle oversteer. Car now steers light and without nervousness and the rear follows terrain rather than floats over it.
Wow 10 hours! Good work for sticking with the job, I'm guessing there was a lot of cursing and yelling along the way
      08-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #52
Muppet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Wow 10 hours! Good work for sticking with the job, I'm guessing there was a lot of cursing and yelling along the way
No, just a lot of head scratching and heading for the kitchen for something to eat or drink.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 03:27 AM   #53
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
No, just a lot of head scratching and heading for the kitchen for something to eat or drink.
Muppet how do you find the harshness over large bumps, road expansion joints, train-tracks etc? Your tailbone is intact? I gather you're on non runflat tyres?
      08-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #54
Muppet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Muppet how do you find the harshness over large bumps, road expansion joints, train-tracks etc? Your tailbone is intact? I gather you're on non runflat tyres?
I am using run flats, 245x35 and 255x35. I quite like them due to the stiff sidewalls giving more control and quick turn in and you can get lots of hardly used tyres for cheap.

I am surprised the little if any change in NVH. Ran over a piece of 3x1.5 yesterday and no real increase in slamming. Today I tried running into pot holes to see if the first impression was correct and happy to report no change in opinion. I have and intend to keep the standard springs and shocks as I feel they are a reasonable set up. Car no longer floats over uneven surfaces and now moves with the road surface. As a result can see no reason the upgrade the rear any further.

Some years ago I was advised to do a similar change to urethane engine mounts rather than soft rubber on a course diesel in a yacht as they stated that the shake was worse for NVH. Proved to be correct and got rid of a drive shaft shake.

After looking at the mounts taken out I cannot see how they properly hold the sub frame in place and in fact may contribute to some of the NVH from run flats. One thing that is noticeable is the absence of elasticity when kicking the rear out. It is now very linear.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #55
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet
Quote:
I am using run flats, 245x35 and 255x35. I quite like them due to the stiff sidewalls giving more control and quick turn in and you can get lots of hardly used tyres for cheap.

I am surprised the little if any change in NVH. Ran over a piece of 3x1.5 yesterday and no real increase in slamming. Today I tried running into pot holes to see if the first impression was correct and happy to report no change in opinion. I have and intend to keep the standard springs and shocks as I feel they are a reasonable set up. Car no longer floats over uneven surfaces and now moves with the road surface. As a result can see no reason the upgrade the rear any further.

Some years ago I was advised to do a similar change to urethane engine mounts rather than soft rubber on a course diesel in a yacht as they stated that the shake was worse for NVH. Proved to be correct and got rid of a drive shaft shake.

After looking at the mounts taken out I cannot see how they properly hold the sub frame in place and in fact may contribute to some of the NVH from run flats. One thing that is noticeable is the absence of elasticity when kicking the rear out. It is now very linear.
Thanks for the update. Your results are surprising as I've heard run-flats and upgraded subframe bushes can lead to a harsh ride. Ride comfort is a subjective thing though so perhaps you're just tougher than the rest of us haha.
      08-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #56
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Definitely a subjective thing.

I definitely felt the harshness over fast bumps were worse and non runflat tyres fixed it. I wouldn't stick to runflats because of the stiff sidewalls. Much more chance of denting a rim with those terrible tyres. They also don't last long, my Yokohama AD08Rs road/track tyres have the same wear rating as my old runflats.

If you do the bushes on an E90/E92, I couldn't feel any difference in ride quality even with runflats. Seems that chassis is less sensitive to mods in terms of ride quality, not quite sure why, they all use the same subframe and suspension.
      08-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #57
Muppet
Private
Rep

I am using stock M suspension. If you are using stiffer springs and shocks, the car is lowered, stiffer ARB, then the likelyhood of a different result is high.

If suspension is lowered then the likelyhood of hitting bumpstops increases when you run over something a bit larger.

Driving today I felt no difference between the front wheels and back when they hit something in road. I made a point of aiming for rough surfaces.

Does anyone know whether the front subframe has similar mounts to the original rear mounts?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #58
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
I am using stock M suspension. If you are using stiffer springs and shocks, the car is lowered, stiffer ARB, then the likelyhood of a different result is high.

If suspension is lowered then the likelyhood of hitting bumpstops increases when you run over something a bit larger.

Driving today I felt no difference between the front wheels and back when they hit something in road. I made a point of aiming for rough surfaces.

Does anyone know whether the front subframe has similar mounts to the original rear mounts?
I did the Nolathanes on bone stock suspension and was definitely a rougher ride. But my shocks were definitely worn out and probably blown. On these cars the shocks get really stiff when they're blown so thats probably the reason why I felt more NVH.

The front subframe is rigidly mounted to the front chassis supports and body and has no rubber mounts.
      08-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #59
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

@vtl maybe organise a trip to Sydney over a weekend and we'll get about 5-10 cars lined up for you to install these on. Charge $200-$250 a pop for install??

I'm sure we'd get at least 5 participants, maybe more.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #60
thezone135i
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Volvo S60 R-Design Polestar

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Interesting point vtl. Muppet - how many kays has your oem suspension done?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #61
Muppet
Private
Rep

The car is 2011 with 60k, woman driver and never off the bitumen.

I believe from a bit of reading in these forums that the springs on post 2011 cars are linear rather than progressive. This would have a bearing on what is felt. If the shocks are tired and springs progressive there would be allot of shock over bumps.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #62
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4-335 View Post
@vtl maybe organise a trip to Sydney over a weekend and we'll get about 5-10 cars lined up for you to install these on. Charge $200-$250 a pop for install??

I'm sure we'd get at least 5 participants, maybe more.
Haha fun idea but would be hard to fit my 50L air compressor and tools in my carry on lol
      09-01-2016, 12:12 AM   #63
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Haha fun idea but would be hard to fit my 50L air compressor and tools in my carry on lol
I'll supply the compressor. As for the tools I reckon you could fit them in a check bag and still be underweight.

Just think about it.

10 cars at $250 a hit = $2500. That's ok for a weekend payday.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #64
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4-335
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
I'll supply the compressor. As for the tools I reckon you could fit them in a check bag and still be underweight.

Just think about it.

10 cars at $250 a hit = $2500. That's ok for a weekend payday.
is it even physically possible to do 10 cars in a weekend?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 12:48 AM   #65
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
is it even physically possible to do 10 cars in a weekend?
Haha definitely not. Fastest I've ever done a subframe bushing job was around 2.5 hours. I'd say 3 max in a day, unless everyone is pitching in.

JB4-335 I'm actually coming to Syd in Oct for some NBT retrofitting so might have some time for extra car work.
      09-01-2016, 01:27 AM   #66
walkie86
Frog Lover
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E87 130i

Keen for Sydney install!
Appreciate 0