BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #155
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I’ve always felt my body does best with about an 18 hour fast, I simply don’t run well if I have much in my stomach. My problem has always been keeping on weight so I try to balance eating well and running. I know at 57, I have to be careful of not overdoing it as far as mileage goes.
      06-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #156
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I’ve always felt my body does best with about an 18 hour fast, I simply don’t run well if I have much in my stomach. My problem has always been keeping on weight so I try to balance eating well and running. I know at 57, I have to be careful of not overdoing it as far as mileage goes.
What kind of mileage are u doing on your runs ?
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 08:38 PM   #157
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Any HOKA ONE ONE wearers on here?

I was in the market for a new pair of road shoes, and saw they had the Clifton 6 on markdown, so decided to splurge and order a pair in LUNAR ROCK / NIMBUS CLOUD.

Have heard good things about them for flat footers and supination, so decided to give them a shot.

Current daily shoe is a Brooks ghost 12. Have had them for about a year now and love them!

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 9.32.05 PM.jpg
Views: 8027
Size:  188.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #158
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post

I was in the market for a new pair of road shoes, and saw they had the Clifton 6 on markdown, so decided to splurge and order a pair in LUNAR ROCK / NIMBUS CLOUD.

Have heard good things about them for flat footers and supination, so decided to give them a shot.

Current daily shoe is a Brooks ghost 12. Have had them for about a year now and love them!

Attachment 2353958
I'm a shoe nerd but I've never tried these, but I do know people that recently switched to them from other shoes and do like them. I'm a little nervous of the high stack height, but the forefoot to heel drop is kind of in my wheelhouse of what I like personally.
      07-10-2020, 10:52 PM   #159
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Quote:

Attachment 2353958
I'm a shoe nerd but I've never tried these, but I do know people that recently switched to them from other shoes and do like them. I'm a little nervous of the high stack height, but the forefoot to heel drop is kind of in my wheelhouse of what I like personally.
Stack height worried me as well. The cushion is actually really nice. Put about 9 miles on them this morning and they feel great!

Going to give them a few weeks to break in, but so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #160
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Stack height worried me as well. The cushion is actually really nice. Put about 9 miles on them this morning and they feel great!

Going to give them a few weeks to break in, but so far so good.
Good news! Yeah, most of my running is trail now days so the stack height makes me irrationally fearful of ankle rolling on rocky surfaces. I [socially distanced] trail ran with a buddy of my yesterday on a pretty rooted and rocky trail yesterday, he just added Hoka Trail Goats to his rotation and loves them.
      07-14-2020, 11:10 PM   #161
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
Good news! Yeah, most of my running is trail now days so the stack height makes me irrationally fearful of ankle rolling on rocky surfaces. I [socially distanced] trail ran with a buddy of my yesterday on a pretty rooted and rocky trail yesterday, he just added Hoka Trail Goats to his rotation and loves them.
I really should get into trail running, easier on the joints.

Not to sound like a bitch, but I hate snakes and other critters. And Living in central Florida they are EVERYWHERE, so I have avoided it. There are a few nice trails around here though, but I've only biked them.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #162
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I really should get into trail running, easier on the joints.

Not to sound like a bitch, but I hate snakes and other critters. And Living in central Florida they are EVERYWHERE, so I have avoided it. There are a few nice trails around here though, but I've only biked them.
Give it a shot!

I like the variability of it so there is a lot of different muscle engagement you don't get with road running too, plus as you mentioned it does seem to treat my body better. I find there's a nice sense of nature and isolation on a nice secluded trail, but at the same time there is some mental engagement that comes from planning lines, terrain obstacles, foot placement, etc. that I take enjoyment in.

Trust me, often times I'm a nervous thinking about snakes so I understand. I'm in the DC area and the venomous snake list is probably way down compared to Florida. Luckily, I haven't had any encounters with timber rattlers or copperheads here, but I've been told by a herpetologist friend that they've likely been all around me haha...super re-assuring.
      07-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #163
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What kind of mileage are u doing on your runs ?
Sorry for the late response, I usually run 12-15 miles a week and do intervals. I find that running 6-8 minutes and walking 1 works well for me.
      07-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #164
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Jordan's World what is the update on those kicks bruh? One of these days I'll actually get a decent pair of running shoes. Right now I just rock the nike pegasus 35s, they're solid, but as we all know Nike is not known for their running shoes.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #165
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Jordan's World Right now I just rock the nike pegasus 35s, they're solid, but as we all know Nike is not known for their running shoes.
Nike has had quite a turn around in the last 2-3 years.
      08-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #166
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I prefer a light shoe to run in, probably because of my Track and Field days. I have a neutral stride and like the Nike and Adidas offerings but would like to hear others opinions.
      08-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #167
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I prefer a light shoe to run in, probably because of my Track and Field days. I have a neutral stride and like the Nike and Adidas offerings but would like to hear others opinions.
ON Running Cloudflow very good shoe and favorite running shoe presently.
Like to alternate shoes on run days my other being New Balance Beacon which came with the worst insert.

ON Cloudflow no hotspots very comfortable on 10+ mile runs.
I'm Neutral my On's are normal width and feel perfect.

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/pro...ens/sea-petrol.

My last Adidas was an early Adizero years ago. ON is just another different level.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #168
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
ON Running Cloudflow very good shoe and favorite running shoe presently.
Like to alternate shoes on run days my other being New Balance Beacon which came with the worst insert.

ON Cloudflow no hotspots very comfortable on 10+ mile runs.
I'm Neutral my On's are normal width and feel perfect.

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/pro...ens/sea-petrol.

My last Adidas was an early Adizero years ago. ON is just another different level.
I'm loving the latest Altra Escalante Racer, super comfortable upper and light. I have a pretty big rotation of shoes going right now and they've become my favorite normal day shoe. They are zero drop though, if that's an issue.

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/me...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I typically rotate between those, Nike Zoomfly's, and Nike Vaporfly (4% and NEXT%) for fast ego days, but I like the Altras for a more normal low stack height shoe. I wouldn't mind giving On's more time, I've briefly used Cloudflows on demo runs.
      08-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #169
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

cotmfk or anyone else who uses RunKeeper:

I just don't understand my updates.

Time, 6:02 Distance 1 km. Average pace 6:02. Current split pace: 5:20.
Time: 12:10, Distance 2 km. Average pace 6:05. Current split pace: 6:50
Time: 18:18, Distance 3 km. Average pace 6:06. Current split pace: 7:02.

WTF is happening with split pace calculations????? I'm pretty much picking them up and putting them down the same as before.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2023.50
      08-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #170
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
cotmfk or anyone else who uses RunKeeper:

I just don't understand my updates.

Time, 6:02 Distance 1 km. Average pace 6:02. Current split pace: 5:20.
Time: 12:10, Distance 2 km. Average pace 6:05. Current split pace: 6:50
Time: 18:18, Distance 3 km. Average pace 6:06. Current split pace: 7:02.

WTF is happening with split pace calculations????? I'm pretty much picking them up and putting them down the same as before.
You're not wrong. Something is wrong with their calculations for sure. I've used a stop watch (old school handheld) when trying to actually calculate split times instead of relying on the app.

Edit: Just thinking about this now - maybe there is a way to edit what they define as a "split." Maybe you can say for it to calculate 100m, 1k, etc. as the distance used for the split. I'll have to look into this... (currently not running -injury since late July).
      08-11-2020, 07:55 PM   #171
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm running on the dirt side of bike lane, facing traffic. See ahead a sprint van covering 1/2 bike lane, speed limit is 55. He makes a few weaves but gets back in his lane. I have both arms out as he passes

About a minute later I hear a voice. Person on the other side of street. He turned around to apologize. I told him he was better than most for doing that

In my O2-deprived mind I laughed out loud a bit later with the image of myself moving closer to him to hear, and a semi on my side of the road wiping me off the pavement
      08-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #172
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Had to lay off the running lately due to IT band irritation and tension. Lamme
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #173
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Got a generic massage gun off of Amazon (similar to Hypervolt). Wife loves it... uses it every day almost. I've used it a few times... doesn't seem to do anything for me. What do others think? Is this a placebo or the real deal?
      10-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #174
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Got a generic massage gun off of Amazon (similar to Hypervolt). Wife loves it... uses it every day almost. I've used it a few times... doesn't seem to do anything for me. What do others think? Is this a placebo or the real deal?
I think it's real.

Massage is big with pro athletes. I imagine a lot of their therapist bring along the hyervolt.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #175
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Massage is real tool, however you can get it. I like these devices for the fact it's low effort on my end, I just turn it on haha. That said, I also don't own one, I just use a Hyperice at my PT's office when I can! Is it worth it to own one? Maybe, but the benefits are real in my opinion, it's just a pretty expensive solution still.
      10-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #176
Em2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Jordan's World what is the update on those kicks bruh? One of these days I'll actually get a decent pair of running shoes. Right now I just rock the nike pegasus 35s, they're solid, but as we all know Nike is not known for their running shoes.
Whaaaat?

Since about 2016/7 Nike has been at the pinnacle of running shoes. Other brands have started to catch up again but this comment doesn't make much sense.

Check out the next%... instant prs.
Appreciate 0