BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Impressions of the new General Tire G-max RS

In the spring I have settled on General Tire G-Max RS ( owned by Continental) to replace my aging sets of PSS and Barum Bavarious 2. I priced them out against Fire hawk
FFI500 and for my 235/40 square size it made sense to try them with the same objective as others to have most of the PSS feel on the street due to new silica compounds.

Overall, I was so close to buying 18" FFI500's in 235/40 square, as they have good rebates. Especially since this year they have a 245/35/18 option that is produced in Japan. Also I considering the price premiums of 245's and my current ability & limits or even need (128i) to run the 245 tire up front on 8.5 wheels.

Pricing out local costs at 235/40 or more expensive 245/35 at this price range I got intrigued & bought the Continental's new entry for 2018 the General Tire G-max RS in 235/40. The RS is priced at the same level or cheaper for some sizes, because FFI promo amount did well for larger sizes.
Also, I will admit since its so new I was swayed by the promo reviews that compared them to FFI500.
This RS is suppose to last a little longer, be as good in the dry and slightly better in the wet. Also aesthetically the FFI looks better in wider sizes like 245+, so I chose the cheaper 235 tire hoping it is as close to an FFI as possible. They also have a nice rim protector lip like PSS, which I think FFI lacks.

These RS are made in Portugal for this size and with how wide their shoulders seem compared to other non-PSS 235/40 summer tire (Barum) and 10mm less in size vs. a 255/35 all season (Pirelli) tires I have at hand in 18". They are definitely wider than the 235 Barum I had to compare against in mounted form.

Overall, I am impressed after 3 weeks of driving daily and some evening country side. The breaking is confidant, wet grip is there and on on ramps at acceleration speed they do hold the line well.

My goal was most here replicate a similar experience of the FFI500 as it has been compared to a street driven PSS. I think I achieved this.

I will upload photos via the app from phone.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50
      06-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Interesting. I've been considering some new tires and been looking at the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. These looking like they might be a good alternative.
      06-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Yikes! Unless you live somewhere that you can "guarantee" doesn't get below about 40 degrees, you might want to stay away from these or make sure you ONLY use them in the summer. Did you read the details?

Internal construction of the G-MAX RS consists of a single-ply polyester casing. The high-turnup casing improves steering response and results in a two-ply sidewall. Two high-strength steel belts feature a two-ply polyamide reinforcement to further enhance handling, along with providing high-speed capability.

Ultra High Performance Summer tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Note: Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
Yikes! Unless you live somewhere that you can "guarantee" doesn't get below about 40 degrees, you might want to stay away from these or make sure you ONLY use them in the summer. Did you read the details?

Internal construction of the G-MAX RS consists of a single-ply polyester casing. The high-turnup casing improves steering response and results in a two-ply sidewall. Two high-strength steel belts feature a two-ply polyamide reinforcement to further enhance handling, along with providing high-speed capability.

Ultra High Performance Summer tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Note: Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

This is how all summers are. I always run two sets. Summer on one and all season on another (it doesn't really snow here, just gets cold)
      06-30-2018, 05:50 AM   #5
Chris N
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

Thanks for posting the review. I ordered a set for my summer wheels, but haven't gotten them installed yet because the wheels are being powder coated. Glad to read that they are living up to the hype in the real world.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I have the All-Season brother to these tires, the G-Max AS05, and I think they're also a very good tire. Snow traction is enough for what I'd actually drive my car in, wet traction is excellent, and dry traction was good (not as good as my Kumho summers, but good enough for a Winter/Intermediate tire).
      07-01-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
No concerns here in FL. If it hits 40 here it's panic & pandemonium
      05-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
gmagnus7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i FBO N54 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
Yea not sure why your "yiking". Literally every summer performance tires is like this, it's not a hidden detail and lot's of people use these types of tires.
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50