BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #45
GeorgeA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
No they wouldn't. Trying to intercept Tomahawks etc would start WW3? Why aren't we full scale invading Syria right now then?

I don't think anybody is in the right here. Russia got two votes of support in the UN. One from China and I can't think of the other one.
US attacks Syria, Russia would have to attack the US directly. That would start WW3.

The use of chemical weapons were alleged and not proven, we have no right to attack a sovereign nation over allegations. We are in the wrong here. The group fighting Assad is ISIS, which is worse than Assad. Also, Russian military strength should not be overlooked either.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #46
minn19
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3, 16 F150,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
US attacks Syria, Russia would have to attack the US directly. That would start WW3.

The use of chemical weapons were alleged and not proven, we have no right to attack a sovereign nation over allegations. We are in the wrong here. The group fighting Assad is ISIS, which is worse than Assad. Also, Russian military strength should not be overlooked either.
I disagree as for who is worse, I find that to be a distinction without a difference.

As for proof, we will have to wait and see. Curious though Syria and Russia are denying inspectors access to the site because of "security concerns." This after boasting that the area was in complete control by them.

If the Russians helped intercept the cruise missiles it would not of started WW3. Had they gone after the launchers like they said they would then maybe. They chose to do absolutely nothing for reasons unknown.

Last edited by minn19; 04-16-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #47
GeorgeA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I disagree as for who is worse, I find that to be a distinction without a difference.

As for proof, we will have to wait and see. Curious though Syria and Russia are denying inspectors access to the site because of "security concerns." This after boasting that the area was in complete control by them.

If the Russians helped intercept the cruise missiles it would not of started WW3. Had they gone after the launchers like they said they would then maybe. They chose to do absolutely nothing for reasons unknown.
They did intercept the missiles but did not fire back to prevent further war. The area that was hit by the chemical attack was under rebel control. The rebels themselves also have chemical weapons.

The big question is, who actually used the chemical attack? Also, why is the US rushing judgment and saying it was Assad when it has not been proven? This happened last year as well. Theoretically, if Assad did do this, why do it when Trump decides to get US troops out? That would be counter-productive as it would go against what he wants because the US would not leave. This had to be done by someone who wants the US to be active in Syria which leaves only the rebel groups that we initially helped as well.

I just don't see how a chemical attack would benefit Assad at all. That is why I am hesitant to believe it was Assad. Overall, we should not attack until we have proof of who actually did the attack.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #48
minn19
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They did intercept the missiles but did not fire back to prevent further war. The area that was hit by the chemical attack was under rebel control. The rebels themselves also have chemical weapons.

The big question is, who actually used the chemical attack? Also, why is the US rushing judgment and saying it was Assad when it has not been proven? This happened last year as well. Theoretically, if Assad did do this, why do it when Trump decides to get US troops out? That would be counter-productive as it would go against what he wants because the US would not leave. This had to be done by someone who wants the US to be active in Syria which leaves only the rebel groups that we initially helped as well.

I just don't see how a chemical attack would benefit Assad at all. That is why I am hesitant to believe it was Assad. Overall, we should not attack until we have proof of who actually did the attack.
The Russians intercepted missiles? First Iíve heard of it and not according to them.

The area was surrendered by the rebels and they were bussed out which lead to the claim that the Syrians/Russians control the area.

Rebels have chemical weapons? Why havenít they used them on the Syrians and Russians?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #49
GeorgeA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Russians intercepted missiles? First I’ve heard of it and not according to them.

The area was surrendered by the rebels and they were bussed out which lead to the claim that the Syrians/Russians control the area.

Rebels have chemical weapons? Why haven’t they used them on the Syrians and Russians?
Same reason why Syria hasn't used it on them..

We still haven't verified who used these weapons. Might have just as well been the extremists.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #50
minn19
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same reason why Syria hasn't used it on them..

We still haven't verified who used these weapons. Might have just as well been the extremists.
Huh? That makes no sense. I've read of very limited use possibly by ISIS, but not much else.

You claimed the Russians intercepted US missiles going back to our original conversation. Did they or didn't they? And if they did please give a link to a story.

According to the US/Allies they have proof. And according to the Russians/Syrians they have proof, but won't allow access to the site. Also and notably IMO, neither the Russians nor the Syrians have denied what the attack hit. So why build new chemical weapons, plants, storage and research facilities if they haven't or are not going to use them. Seems rather odd, no?
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #51
GeorgeA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Huh? That makes no sense. I've read of very limited use possibly by ISIS, but not much else.

You claimed the Russians intercepted US missiles going back to our original conversation. Did they or didn't they? And if they did please give a link to a story.

According to the US/Allies they have proof. And according to the Russians/Syrians they have proof, but won't allow access to the site. Also and notably IMO, neither the Russians nor the Syrians have denied what the attack hit. So why build new chemical weapons, plants, storage and research facilities if they haven't or are not going to use them. Seems rather odd, no?
Russia claims Syria shot down 71 missiles

https://www.timesofisrael.com/moscow...r-intercepted/

https://theaviationist.com/2018/04/1...ing-to-the-us/

There are more links about it, it was officially released by the Kremlin.

I think Assad doing this attack makes no sense, he doesn't want the US to get engaged and help the extremists and a chemical attack would do exactly that. There is also no actual proof of it either, I think allegations aren't enough to bomb a nation. It's a difficult task being the only Christian nation in that region, it is sad that we are helping destroy it.

Also, if Assad leaves, who will replace him? The same people who are in control of the rebels and ISIS? Isn't that worse for us?

Just food for thought
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #52
minn19
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think Assad doing this attack makes no sense, he doesn't want the US to get engaged and help the extremists and a chemical attack would do exactly that. There is also no actual proof of it either, I think allegations aren't enough to bomb a nation. It's a difficult task being the only Christian nation in that region, it is sad that we are helping destroy it.

Also, if Assad leaves, who will replace him? The same people who are in control of the rebels and ISIS? Isn't that worse for us?

Just food for thought
I know of that claim, but again it was only Syrian air defenses not Russian.

Assad has made many mistakes and I agree on the surface it looks like it makes no sense. But, look he finally got the Rebels out of Ghouta with this attack. Got a mild slap on the wrist from the US, France and GB. It looks like it makes sense now as he ultimately got what he wanted. The Rebels out of suburban Damascus.

As for who will/would replace him, I'm sure Putin has somebody lined up just in case that happens.
Appreciate 2
jgoens3326.00

04-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #53
Real Dodger
On Ceti Alpha V
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:

Just food for thought
Well....the Kremlin released it. It must be true. So you trust the Kremlin more than the US, UK, France, WAPO, WSJ, NYT, BBC, etc, etc?

Why are you working so hard to prove the Syrian/Russian side of things?
      04-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #54
GeorgeA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know of that claim, but again it was only Syrian air defenses not Russian.

Assad has made many mistakes and I agree on the surface it looks like it makes no sense. But, look he finally got the Rebels out of Ghouta with this attack. Got a mild slap on the wrist from the US, France and GB. It looks like it makes sense now as he ultimately got what he wanted. The Rebels out of suburban Damascus.

As for who will/would replace him, I'm sure Putin has somebody lined up just in case that happens.
He killed 40 people, could have easily bombed them. I donít think he would do a chemical attack at exactly the same time that Trump decides to pull out. That is not a smart move. Putin would not allow that.

And yes, it was Syria who shot them down.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #55
GeorgeA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Well....the Kremlin released it. It must be true. So you trust the Kremlin more than the US, UK, France, WAPO, WSJ, NYT, BBC, etc, etc?

Why are you working so hard to prove the Syrian/Russian side of things?
It makes more sense, it is not about taking sides, itís about the truth.

What the US released just doesnít make sense, and definitely doesnít prove that Assad did it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #56
Real Dodger
On Ceti Alpha V
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
It makes more sense, it is not about taking sides, itís about the truth.

What the US released just doesnít make sense, and definitely doesnít prove that Assad did it.
It makes more sense they shot down 71 of 103 missiles launched? Really?
They have provided 0 (zero) proof. I can't even say nice try...
      04-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #57
GeorgeA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It makes more sense they shot down 71 of 103 missiles launched? Really?
They have provided 0 (zero) proof. I can't even say nice try...
According to western media.. We can't believe anyone anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #58
Real Dodger
On Ceti Alpha V
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
According to western media.. We can't believe anyone anymore.
Because ______?
C'mon, say it.
      04-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #59
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Because ______?
C'mon, say it.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Appreciate 2
SakhirM46687.50

04-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #60
MKSixer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Not if it's 5:05!! Ask SakhirM4

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM46687.50

04-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #61
Real Dodger
On Ceti Alpha V
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
I don't know why I appreciated that, just seem like the right thing to do.
UncleWede4520.00
jgoens3326.00
SakhirM46687.50

04-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #62
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Drinks!!
MKSixer8008.50
SakhirM46687.50

04-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #63
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
He's grumpy and not responding anymore--but he is reading.
SakhirM46687.50
MKSixer8008.50

04-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #64
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
He's grumpy and not responding anymore--but he is reading.
You see..he appreciated instants after I posted...he is here all the time...wouldn't mind his opinion on Syria as a side note.
      04-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #65
MKSixer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Drinks!!
Only one for UncleWede
Attached Images

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 2
jgoens3326.00

04-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #66
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Only one for UncleWede
I'm really offended as that's not him.....that's me.