BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

car steering pulls left

Back in April I hit a solid peice of plastic in the road about 3 inches high going around 50 mph. It was a construction area and I guess that peice of plastic was the base of one of those reflectors they use to divide traffic.
The damn thing busted the wheels and tires out on my front and back right. I can post pics later. Luckily i had run flats and was using my winter rims at the time.

Anyhow.
I have claimed on my insurance the accident but have not been able to get it fixed since I left the country about a week after i got the repair work done on the car.
The fix consisted of mainly new rims and tires and an alignment.

But during that week before i left country i noticed my car pulled to the left still..
On a level road going straight i constantly had to put in some Right steerage(about 10 degrees).
My ride height on left and right wheels is the same and no noticable damage to the suspension.
Any ideas what could be pulling my car that far?
Help would be greatly appreciated since it will help troubleshoot and fix this problem as soon as i get back and drive my bimmer again !! YAY!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep
Drives: N/A

Is your alignment perfect, now? Put it on a lift ans see if any components are bent? If there's nothing obvious, maybe you messed your differential up, who knows.

I assume you have a warranty, get BMW to observe the problem and fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
It takes more than you think to knock these cars out of alignment. I hit a 6" deep pothole with my right front tire. The sidewall of my runcrap exploded and the rim was slightly bent.

I replaced the wheel and tire - Took the car to the dealer for an alignment, the car was still in perfect alignment.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

i know it is something small...but i had a friend spend a lot of money trying to solve a pulling problem in his Honda S2000. turns out he merely had tires that were completely inconsistent from side to side and front to rear. check that...could be a simple fix!

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitmnt94 View Post
i know it is something small...but i had a friend spend a lot of money trying to solve a pulling problem in his Honda S2000. turns out he merely had tires that were completely inconsistent from side to side and front to rear. check that...could be a simple fix!

Verify that the pressures in all (4) are equal and correct then try swapping the RF and LF tires. If it pulls to the right after the swap it's a defective tire. If it still pulls LT more than likely you have either a caster or camber issue. If you have a printout of the alignment specs and can post them, I can let you know if there are any issues.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Hmmm . I will have to do that tire swap for the fronts. See if that helps.

Im definatly happy with the durability of this car though. WOW>..

I hit a curb at a slight angle doing 25 mph with a VW Golf and completly bent the front right lower control arm and blew out that tire and rim.. No i wasnt drunk driving. :P

BMW is quite a durable car i must say with only a slight pulling issue and broken rims/tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX0330 View Post
www.tt88times.com sell replica watches replica rolex watches in cheap price

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0