BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dynamic Brake Control???

Fussing around on the bmw 1er website just now and viewed the little blurb on brakes. Does anyone know what is going on with this 'dynamic brake control?' It says it keeps the car from rolling when starting off on a hill, and somehow anticipates a heavy stop based on how quickly you let off the throttle??
Not sure I like all this 'smart car' stuff. Anyone know how all this works?

Also it raises a terrible thought: this isn't gonna be one of those cars that won't let you left foot brake, is it?

Maybe I'll post that question in the general section...
      02-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

It is actually a pretty cool feature. It does hold the car still on a hill for a couple of seconds. This unfortunately doesn't allow scaring the person behind you. The system also dries the breaks for you when their wet to keep them performing well even when wet. The part you're scared about is the anticipating a heavy stop. The system simply moves the caliper closer (NOT touching) so when you do hit the brakes, it will react faster. If you don't slam on the brakes, it makes no difference. I believe it is still possible to left foot brake
      02-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

This will be the last time I change the brakes on my s2000. Next time I'll be in a 135i.
      02-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzS2 View Post
Fussing around on the bmw 1er website just now and viewed the little blurb on brakes. Does anyone know what is going on with this 'dynamic brake control?' It says it keeps the car from rolling when starting off on a hill, and somehow anticipates a heavy stop based on how quickly you let off the throttle??
Not sure I like all this 'smart car' stuff. Anyone know how all this works?

Also it raises a terrible thought: this isn't gonna be one of those cars that won't let you left foot brake, is it?

Maybe I'll post that question in the general section...
The car monitors how your foot works the accelerator, if you suddenly rip your foot off the pedal the brakes are instantly pumped in anticipation of an emergency stop. The other feature is SOFT STOP, i have experienced this in a 3 series, normally when a car comes to a stop after braking the car jerks you back in the seat a little. With the soft stop the instant before the car comes to a complete stop it releases the brakes a little to stop that jerk.
The pedal actually drops away a touch as it does this, feels a bit weird the first time it happens. It will only do this soft stop in light to moderate stopping situations.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Interesting on the soft stop. Does all 3 series have it? On mum's 2007 323i, I struggle to get it to stop smoothly! The way you describe soft stop is how I actually brake, so I am like the human soft stop haha. But on the 3 series, I actually struggle to make it stop without jerking like I do on all other cars!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Interesting on the soft stop. Does all 3 series have it? On mum's 2007 323i, I struggle to get it to stop smoothly! The way you describe soft stop is how I actually brake, so I am like the human soft stop haha. But on the 3 series, I actually struggle to make it stop without jerking like I do on all other cars!
I had a loaner recently and it was a 325 individual that was a special order and the sale fell through, it had a wooden steering wheel and contrasting piping in the seat seams, it may have had upgraded brake functions to standard.? I found out about the soft stop when I asked a tech why the pedal went soft when I pulled up a lights etc. I have a 15-20 page colour booklet on the Australian spec car and it list the 5 brake functions and soft stop is listed along with brake stand-by, brake drying, hill start assist, fade compensation.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Interesting. Maybe I will drive it differently the next time and see how it stops. Ie. I will not be mimicking the soft stop like how I would normally drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
TwinturboBMW07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
I had a loaner recently and it was a 325 individual that was a special order and the sale fell through, it had a wooden steering wheel and contrasting piping in the seat seams, it may have had upgraded brake functions to standard.? I found out about the soft stop when I asked a tech why the pedal went soft when I pulled up a lights etc. I have a 15-20 page colour booklet on the Australian spec car and it list the 5 brake functions and soft stop is listed along with brake stand-by, brake drying, hill start assist, fade compensation.
You said that you have the australian booklet will the US version of the 135i have hill start assist because thats one area of driving a standard transmission that i suck at.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
normally when a car comes to a stop after braking the car jerks you back in the seat a little
I'm going to have to go ahead and call that user error.

You can come to an imperceptible stop in any car with deft use of the middle pedal. It's not a lightswitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
I'm going to have to go ahead and call that user error.

You can come to an imperceptible stop in any car with deft use of the middle pedal. It's not a lightswitch.
It must be a widespread user error as BMW have attended to it? The hill start assist is also a user error problem which BMW has attended to, as with spinning a wheel on a loose surface, and an airbag when you hit a tree, the list goes on...... I was just trying to explain how the soft stop system works.
      02-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

There are lots of doodads on today's car to cater to the lowest common denominator. Lane departure warning, hill start assist...hell, Lexuses are even parking themselves these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
BMW=BeggingMantoWife
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 Black 128i convertible

Hill Assist in 128i?

OK, I've searched the Threads:biggrin:, and I can find no mention of whether or not the 128i has Hill Assist. All the discussions on this feature of BMW manuals have been on the 135i. Can someone confirm for me that Hill Assist is also on the 128i? It could mean the difference between my wife saying OK to a manual or not......notice my Name
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Yes, it has the Hill Assist.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The car monitors how your foot works the accelerator, if you suddenly rip your foot off the pedal the brakes are instantly pumped in anticipation of an emergency stop. The other feature is SOFT STOP, i have experienced this in a 3 series, normally when a car comes to a stop after braking the car jerks you back in the seat a little. With the soft stop the instant before the car comes to a complete stop it releases the brakes a little to stop that jerk.
The pedal actually drops away a touch as it does this, feels a bit weird the first time it happens. It will only do this soft stop in light to moderate stopping situations.
So how noticable is the break release part? I had my master cylinder go bad on my Honda and when I would come to a stoplight and hit the breaks...it would get very spongy at the end, and I had to push all the way down knd of hard to get the car to stop...its a pretty creepy feeling to try and stop a car like that...if this soft stop is similar itd be weird to get used to...but at least the car will actually stop haha
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
So how noticable is the break release part? I had my master cylinder go bad on my Honda and when I would come to a stoplight and hit the breaks...it would get very spongy at the end, and I had to push all the way down knd of hard to get the car to stop...its a pretty creepy feeling to try and stop a car like that...if this soft stop is similar itd be weird to get used to...but at least the car will actually stop haha
If you were not looking for the soft stop feature you would not know it was there, until you go back into a standard car. Same thing with the active headlights, you get so use to them and you don't pay any attention to them, buy drive the same windy road at night with a car without it and you really miss the feature.