BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Ethanol-free fuel in the Denver area

I came across this website: pure-gas.org

They list ethanol-free gas stations around the country. I don't know how accurate the list is, but if you live in CO you know that ethanol-free gas is hard to find. I have heard that some stations won't let you pump ethanol-free directly into your car (you have to use a gas tank).

I found ethanol-free 91 octane in Lakewood at Brad's Conoco over at the corner of Union and Mississippi. It was $3.99/gallon. You can pump it straight into your car. It's a regular gas station and they also have a touchless car wash.

My IS is not my dd, so I don't mind paying a bit more for the gas here. This is just an FYI. I'm not affiliated with this gas station or anything.
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Stupid farming lobbyist. "Here is an idea, we force corn ethanol on everyone. Who cares that is it corrosive and will be responsible for hundreds of millions in car repairs, causes more harmful emissions, raise food prices, and is much less efficient than sugar cane ethanol? A few big farming companies will be sitting pretty and they will give my son a high paying job to do nothing. Brilliant!"
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
Stupid farming lobbyist. "Here is an idea, we force corn ethanol on everyone. Who cares that is it corrosive and will be responsible for hundreds of millions in car repairs, causes more harmful emissions, raise food prices, and is much less efficient than sugar cane ethanol? A few big farming companies will be sitting pretty and they will give my son a high paying job to do nothing. Brilliant!"
I'm sure it's just the placebo effect, but I swear my car sounds better, runs smoother, and is thanking me for the switch to ethanol-free

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
RedDog
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've used 100 and 105 octane a few times. Who cares about ethanol free 91. Not for $3.99
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDog View Post
Who cares about ethanol free 91.
Good point. Most people don't care. But, there are countless sites and threads that discuss the advantages of using ethanol-free gasoline in our engines. For just a few cents more per gallon, it's worth it to me.

Here are some quotes to consider:

"The first thing to understand about ethanol is that oil and water don’t mix. Ethanol is water based while gasoline is made from oil. The kind of ethanol added to gasoline is anhydrous, meaning no water. If there were water in it, the ethanol will not mix with gasoline. Then even after it’s mixed, if the ethanol comes in contact with water, it will attach to it and sink to the bottom of the tank, like vinegar in an oil and vinegar salad dressing."

"Although ethanol does reduce the toxicity of car exhaust, it can also be very corrosive. Ethanol can absorb water and dirt very easily, and if those contaminants are not filtered out successfully, they can cause damage and corrosion inside the engine block. Fuel efficiency is also a consideration when considering the advantages of ethanol fuel. Ethanol, at least in its present form, does not appear to provide the same fuel efficiency as gasoline."

"The primary downside of adding more ethanol to fuel—aside from issues relating to corn crops and food supply—is that it lowers the actual energy content of gasoline. According to the U.S. EPA, vehicles will typically get three to four percent fewer miles per gallon on E10 than on what it terms 'straight gasoline.'

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
RedDog
Rep
Drives: 135i

Good points as well. I doubt if I would see the effect of the corrosive aspects of ethanol in my car. Over the years ( lived in Colorado for over 30 yrs) I have had several vehicles with an excess of 200,000 on them and still running strong. I don't see or feel the difference. Ethanol has been around a long time. I just see it a clean burning fuel. I'm not a mechanic or engineer and had not torn down a modern day engine to see those issues.
Appreciate 0