BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2015, 02:53 AM   #1
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Exclamation Increased battery discharge

I got this message twice in the past few days and it comes up after I have stopped for a while and then switched on the car again ..

I don't understand what it exactly means .. ?

Anyone got this before ? Care to clarify please ?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I think it is indicating that there may be a weak short circuit somewhere. There is a simple test that you can do if you want. You will need a multi-meter that has an amp scale. I got one at Walmart for about $30. Then you remove the battery negative clamp, put the multi-meter between the battery and the clamp and see what the current is. There are on-line articles that will give you an idea what is normal. All cars have a little drain with everything off but if it is too high, the battery will not start the car at some point. You can find the individual circuit that is an issue by pulling fuses and retesting. My daughters old Corolla has a high drain in the circuit that powers the radio. I haven't taken the time to rerun the circuit, however so she just has to be careful not to let it set too long.
      02-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep

Thanks for reply JimD

Ill try and have the electrical bits checked .
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Its kinda coincidence that people starting to have these same warnings at about the same time 3 years later, which for some modern cars is when the battery goes limp...and need replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I was getting that message intermittently for the past two months, only driving the car about every two weeks or so. Battery tested fine at the dealer, so I will start leaving it on a tender.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 03:21 PM   #6
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

My car was only used 5 months per year and it only racked up 1400km for the last two years. I didn’t have a trickle charger connected. Couple months ago I started getting this discharge message constantly. I bought a charger and connected to it about a month ago, and it’s always connected when the car is not used. At first it seems to solve the issue, and the indicator light on the charger indicates the battery is fully charged. Last week I couldn’t start the car, the battery didn’t have enough juice to start the ignition. I jump started it with another car and it was fine. Now whenever I park for a few days wth charger connected, I can’t start the car without jumping it. I guess the battery is totally dead now even with the green light from the charger? The battery was replaced by the dealership in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 10:15 PM   #7
lucahemi@gmail.com
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca335 View Post
My car was only used 5 months per year and it only racked up 1400km for the last two years. I didn’t have a trickle charger connected. Couple months ago I started getting this discharge message constantly. I bought a charger and connected to it about a month ago, and it’s always connected when the car is not used. At first it seems to solve the issue, and the indicator light on the charger indicates the battery is fully charged. Last week I couldn’t start the car, the battery didn’t have enough juice to start the ignition. I jump started it with another car and it was fine. Now whenever I park for a few days wth charger connected, I can’t start the car without jumping it. I guess the battery is totally dead now even with the green light from the charger? The battery was replaced by the dealership in 2014.
The battery is 10 years old? You got WAY more than expected life out of that battery, go get a new one!
Appreciate 2
1'M Blue254.00
ayao643.00
      01-15-2024, 02:14 PM   #8
werman
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I had this warning. The BMW dealer thought it might have related to the aftermarket battery installed in my car a few years ago. FWIW, I had the dealer replace it with an OEM battery and haven't had the warning since. I didn't want to take any chances regarding frying the car's electronic components. Good luck to you.
Appreciate 0