BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #221
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

What is stronger? VACC or Carbon?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #222
vwown3d
New Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

i'd say carbon.
      07-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #223
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCARBON DESIGN View Post
We can make it so that the vents are closed on the underside (and people would never know the difference). We can make that an option on the hood when you go to order.

So, just to recap on the hoods (all of this will be explained on the new pre-pro thread), this is what we're looking like.

Three hoods are available:

iCS Hood: Power Bulge with M3-like small vents on either side of the bulge. Available in single sided carbon and double sided carbon with open or closed vents.

iCS Vented Hood: Power bulge with slat-style vents further down the hood (no M3-like vents). Available in single sided carbon and double sided carbon with Black vents OR Carbon Fiber vents. Both kinds are available open (functional) or closed (non-functional).

iCS Race-Lite Hood (custom made to order): Power bulge with slat-style vents AND M3-like vents. Available only in our Race-Lite construction which is maximized for weight savings. We recommend this for extreme weight saving applications only.

The trunk is available in 3 trims as well:

iCS Trunk Single Sided Carbon

iCS Trunk Double Sided Carbon

iCS Race-Lite Trunk (custom made to order): *for extreme weight saving applications only*

Hope this helps! Working hard at getting this up and running!

Anyone that orders more than 1 piece will get an additional x% off of the entire order

- Andy
Thanks for that, but didnt really answer my questions. I mean, if Im gonna get a sweet hood like this with vents, Ill want them to be functional, no reason to have em otherwise, id feel like im driving a fuckin Saturn or one of those cheapo's with fake vents on the sides. Have you installed one on a 1er and noted the effects after a rainstorm or any kind of inclement weather? Does the rainwater hit anything vital thru these vents? My car is currently not in a garage, so if hurricane type rains hit and the waters pouring down, id wanna be sure its not gonna mess anything up in the engine.

ALSO, same question goes for SNOW.
People out in cali-land dont need to worry about that, but I do, snow on the eastern shore most every year. Mainly the concern there would be if its snowing or freezing temps and water gets down the vents and starts to freeze, could easily have frozen icicles n shit down into ur engine, I dunno just raises possible driving concerns for me. I mean, im sure id still look great with the vents, closed or not, but like I said, wtf would you have a vented hood without open vents. The M's do it..are theres placed in specific locations where there would never be a problem like this??

Also, would still love to see some installed pics of he ICS sport bump hood on a 1er.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #224
iCARBON DESIGN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Thanks for that, but didnt really answer my questions. I mean, if Im gonna get a sweet hood like this with vents, Ill want them to be functional, no reason to have em otherwise, id feel like im driving a fuckin Saturn or one of those cheapo's with fake vents on the sides. Have you installed one on a 1er and noted the effects after a rainstorm or any kind of inclement weather? Does the rainwater hit anything vital thru these vents? My car is currently not in a garage, so if hurricane type rains hit and the waters pouring down, id wanna be sure its not gonna mess anything up in the engine.

ALSO, same question goes for SNOW.
People out in cali-land dont need to worry about that, but I do, snow on the eastern shore most every year. Mainly the concern there would be if its snowing or freezing temps and water gets down the vents and starts to freeze, could easily have frozen icicles n shit down into ur engine, I dunno just raises possible driving concerns for me. I mean, im sure id still look great with the vents, closed or not, but like I said, wtf would you have a vented hood without open vents. The M's do it..are theres placed in specific locations where there would never be a problem like this??

Also, would still love to see some installed pics of he ICS sport bump hood on a 1er.
Will reply to you on this tomorrow, time to go to bed!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #225
iCARBON DESIGN
Lieutenant
Rep

annnnddddddddd IT'S UP! Click for the "Official" Pre-Order on the trunk and hood

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...98#post7656398
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #226
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

I have the same question but I'm sure they have it covered.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #227
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I havent seen an answer to my question yet. He only replied in the other thread that they have open and closed options for the vents, nothing bout the open vents in weather and what could happen
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #228
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I'm ready to order but I'm waiting on a few answers too. Sent a PM + email today as I haven't had much luck getting any response in any of the threads.

I want this hood asap. I'm leaning towards VACC as I imagine it would closer to stock weight and carbon fiber hoods are illegal over here. I'm going to paint mine anyway. Anyone know for sure which material is stronger?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #229
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Pretty sure the bet is CF is always gonna be stronger and lighter. And why the hell is it illegal over there???
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #230
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Pretty sure the bet is CF is always gonna be stronger and lighter. And why the hell is it illegal over there???
It doesn't meet the ADRs which are the Australian Design Rules for national standards for vehicle safety, anti-theft and emissions. The ADRs are generally performance based and cover issues such as occupant protection, structures, lighting, noise, engine exhaust emissions, braking and a range of miscellaneous items.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #231
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SGM 135i

^^^
Strong in the general sense, yes, but I wouldn't think that a CF hood would provide much in the way of impact absorption and definitely wouldn't crumple like the stock hood is designed to do to absorb some of the impact forces -- if you are concerned with that.

If a CF hood is illegal in OZ then how/why is a VACC hood legal then? A bit off topic, but was just curious, PM me if you have the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #232
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fe View Post
^^^
Strong in the general sense, yes, but I wouldn't think that a CF hood would provide much in the way of impact absorption and definitely wouldn't crumple like the stock hood is designed to do to absorb some of the impact forces -- if you are concerned with that.

If a CF hood is illegal in OZ then how/why is a VACC hood legal then? A bit off topic, but was just curious, PM me if you have the time.

On the same sense of that, what about cars made from CF? Ferrari, Lambo, Pagani, etc. Sorry, getting more and more here, lol.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #233
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fe View Post
^^^

I don't think VACC will be legal either as it wouldn't meet ADR. I would have to have paint my hood to match my body colour so no cops see the carbon and defect my car. This being the case it makes no sense for me to get carbon for cosmetic reasons as I'll be painting over it. Also, the VACC is supposed to be heavier and if it's closer to stock weight, anybody who opens the hood should not realise it's aftermarket, I hope.

I believe the reason why it doesn't pass ADR is because studies found that carbon can splinter and break through the windscreen and in some cases kill the passenger and cause more harm. I know it sounds extreme but these are the rules here.

Back on topic, I hope iCarbon respond to my PM/email soon
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #234
onefastman
Major General
Rep

That is the craziest law I have ever heard!
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #235
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
That is the craziest law I have ever heard!
There is talks of speeding fines for being 4km/hr over. That is 2.4 miles/hr over the limit. Talk about revenue raising. And I imagine the fine to be at least $200 as well. We have some crazy rules and laws in Australia regarding driving and road safety. To make matters worse, the hardest part to get a licence to drive is waiting in line to get your licence photo taken.

Anyways, this thread is way off topic. Hopefully iCarbon can chime in on the VACC materials as I'm seriously considering this over the carbon.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #236
Chris@iCARBON
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Honda

Ladies and Gentleman,

We have been moving over the last 2 weeks. It's been nothing short of a disaster. No internet, no pieces, no desks, nothing. We had to move everything, the internet is still not working, we've been moving everything and setting it all up until 2, 3, 4 am every day - it has been a nightmare.

Please bare with us as we are playing extreme catchup, and internet won't even be up till this thursday hopefully (crosses fingers). If you have any PM's, comments on the boards, questions...please feel free to emails us as a friendly reminder as thats probably the fastest way to get a response at this time.

Also, the pictures from the recent photoshoot are almost done! They are nothing short of amazing and i think you guys will be extremely pleased.

Chris
      08-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #237
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
I've seen two of the photos! glad you guys got a GREAT photographer shoot and editing these
      08-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #238
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

I wonder if we'll be seeing the "iCS QUAD Rear Diffuser"..............
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #239
iCARBON DESIGN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
I wonder if we'll be seeing the "iCS QUAD Rear Diffuser"..............
Oh, you mean like the one we already made a mold of and already have 3 made??
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #240
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCARBON DESIGN View Post
Oh, you mean like the one we already made a mold of and already have 3 made??
\

I don't see no pics for it
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #241
onefastman
Major General
Rep

One of the quads has my name on it
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #242
Chris@iCARBON
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Honda

^^And he saw it in person! lol