BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #155
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Hm, but a 1M is just a souped up 135i, no ?
If it were, then I wouldn't want one so bad

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #156
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow ...pull your fuse #74!!

Quote:

...Wondering wheter the car can still be (un)locked, alarm armed, etc. without fuse #74. Wanna test, Dackel ?

Well... I tested it tonight! I took one for the 1M team!!

So... I went to my 135i's fuse box... nearly drew blood trying to open that damm fuse box/glove box door. Pinched my finger real good. lol But I was able to pull fuse #74. When you do that you will loose access to your OBDII port. I tried using my BT scan tool and my generic CAN/BUS code reader. both could not access the engine ECU. When the fuse is plugged in... both tools can access the DME.

So... looks like pulling fuse #74 is a good defense. Only problem is... you also loose your instrument panel(kombi) lights! When you pull your clock will also loose its time/date function.

I think the best way would be to wire a remote switch for fuse #74 - for when you park your car. I also use some black gaffers tape over my OBDII port as a small measure of defense.

Here are some pics I took...

Name:  IMG_9390.jpg
Views: 37593
Size:  98.9 KB

my black gaffers duct tape - defense...
Name:  IMG_9349.jpg
Views: 5758
Size:  103.7 KB

BT scan tool...
Name:  IMG_9353.jpg
Views: 5218
Size:  135.6 KB

Generic OBDII scan tool...
Name:  IMG_9368.jpg
Views: 5271
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9372.jpg
Views: 5236
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  IMG_9375.jpg
Views: 8750
Size:  164.5 KB

disconnect the damper... bottom of shock from glove box door...
Name:  IMG_9376.jpg
Views: 5660
Size:  157.8 KB

Push in tab, so glove box can swing down. Note there is another tab on the LEFT side near the damper too! That is what "crimped" my finger! Then your glove box door will drop straight down...
Name:  IMG_9379.jpg
Views: 5207
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9380.jpg
Views: 6327
Size:  228.9 KB

Name:  IMG_9381.jpg
Views: 18523
Size:  233.6 KB

Name:  IMG_9384.jpg
Views: 5334
Size:  147.4 KB

fuse card/chart...
Name:  IMG_9387.jpg
Views: 10055
Size:  107.8 KB

fuse #74 is on the very bottom row of fuses, third from left. Just under that harness at the bottom of the fuse box!
Name:  IMG_9385.jpg
Views: 7234
Size:  185.4 KB

scan tool has no signal when fuse #74 is pulled!
Name:  IMG_9388.jpg
Views: 5154
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9393.jpg
Views: 5102
Size:  166.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #157
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Dackel, you are the man! Thanks a lot for all that job and pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #158
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Great pics David, thanks

I went another route on mine. Don't have pics but while installing my P3 gauge I simply put a small screw in the OBD cover:

(I used David's pic to illustrate)

So the cover is screwed in AND the P3 Gauge is plugged into the port so I think that should work pretty well, what do y'all think?
(When I get a chance I'll take a quick pic)
Attached Images

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #159
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Fuse #74 powering OBD + dashboard

Quote:
So... looks like pulling fuse #74 is a good defense.
Thanks Dackel !

As I commented earlier, according to the fuse box diagram fuse #74 powers two things: OBD + dashboard (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=143 and http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=153). That's why not only the OBD, but also the dashboard lights were brain dead once you had removed fuse #74.
Gives thieves a hard(er) time to clone a key.

Couple of questions:
  • about the clock reset: did you notice any other reset (radio settings, seat position if powered seats, programmable memory keys on the radio, etc.) ?
  • did you try whether the car can still be (un)locked, alarm armed, started, etc. without fuse #74 (I guess it should) ?
  • was it absolutely impossible to get (decent) access to the fuse box without unlocking/unclicking the glove box bar handles (never got to go through that hassle with my M3) ?
Alternative idea: when you look at the picture of the opened OBD port, you got quite some space to install a DIY cover plate in front of the port itself. Purpose: if thieves open the OBD port cover, they stumble on another cover.

For anyone's convenience, below is shown a picture where fuse #74 is located inside the fuse box (third left of the last row of fuse slots) (5 Ampère - grey/brown color ...or is that Sepang Bronze ):

Name:  Fuse_74.jpg
Views: 3923
Size:  79.4 KB
      07-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #160
euro2fast4u
Private
Rep
Drives: signle turbo e30

Im not sure if the 1 series have this but the e30 and e36 have a code you can enter that disables the car from starting even with the key, if the hood is opened on the e36 it wont start for some long period. Very simple to enter a 4 digit code and the car will never start.
      07-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #161
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Dackel !

...Couple of questions:
  • about the clock reset: did you notice any other reset (radio settings, seat position if powered seats, programmable memory keys on the radio, etc.) ?
  • First thing I noticed after plugging the #74 fuse back in was that my instrument pannel/gauges had no clock... just some"-- --" lines. No date, and the outside temp was in 'F and not in 'C like I have it set on my US spec car.

I simply inserted my key fob and started the engine. The car seemed to switch back to 'C temp for outside temp and HVAC controls. I simply just set the clock and date/year and everything was ok. My trip odometer also got reset to zero after plugging back in the fuse.

I do not have power seats on my car - so I can't comment. I think they would be Ok. I

Quote:
  • did you try whether the car can still be (un)locked, alarm armed, started, etc. without fuse #74 (I guess it should) ?
  • No I did not. I kind of forgot to check for that when I tested the OBDII port. I do not see why the car would not start with the OBDII port fuse pulled.

Quote:
  • was it absolutely impossible to get (decent) access to the fuse box without unlocking/unclicking the glove box bar handles (never got to go through that hassle with my M3) ?
You have to release both tabs (Left and Right) of the glove box, and unhook the shock damper on the left side. Then the glove box drops STRAIGHT DOWN! Make sure your glove box is empty and don't pinch a finger like I did. My finger is still hurting me. lol

Once the glove box is hanging down - open, you can see the fuse box. Its quite TIGHT... just a small opening where my fist could barley get inside the square opening. Things are very tight in there. But you can use the red tweezers - to pull out fuse #74. Don't drop it... bc you will never find it deep inside that opening. You might want to have some micro fuses on hand before "testing" your fuse pulling prowess.

Quote:
Alternative idea: when you look at the picture of the opened OBD port, you got quite some space to install a DIY cover plate in front of the port itself. Purpose: if thieves open the OBD port cover, they stumble on another cover.
I think someone else posted that pin #7 in the OBDII connector is the power(+12v) for the OBDII port. It might just be easier to put a switch in for that pin/wire harness.

Quote:
For anyone's convenience, below is shown a picture where fuse #74 is located inside the fuse box (third left of the last row of fuse slots) (5 Ampère - grey/brown color ...or is that Sepang Bronze ):
Yup! That is the fuse I pulled. But in your photo you have TONS of room for your hand. On my car it was VERY tight in there!

Name:  IMG_9385.jpg
Views: 4076
Size:  185.4 KB

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #162
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
Rep

this is my little mod to slow the scum down. Moulded a cover that screws into place under the door rubber seals so the door has to be open to get it off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #163
brownie815
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upturn666 View Post
this is my little mod to slow the scum down. Moulded a cover that screws into place under the door rubber seals so the door has to be open to get it off.
nice!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #164
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Please put this into production for the rest of the UK 1M guys!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #165
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
thats some awesome work, but it will be even more awesome when you get some left hand drive action going on that! props!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #166
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
Rep

UK 1M owners.
I will look into making a few of these.
How many people are interested?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #167
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

Quote:
UK 1M owners.
Hi there...will happily take one !!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #168
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Great solution.

If your custom part gets wedged in the door sill when shut, does it need to be screwed in?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #169
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
UK 1M owners.
Definitely!! Please count me in.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #170
Artemis
Rep

Quote:

Looks great ! Can you conceive one for LHD cars too ?
      07-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #171
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I still think you would be better off rendering the OBDII port inactive rather than covering it up with some plastic trim. These thieves will stop at nothing to get your ride. I am sure they would not mind breaking the door handle or door or ripping apart the underside of the dash to drive off in your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #172
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:

Looks great ! Can you conceive one for LHD cars too ?
yesss Pleaseee!!!!!

Quote:
I still think you would be better off rendering the OBDII port inactive rather than covering it up with some plastic trim. These thieves will stop at nothing to get your ride. I am sure they would not mind breaking the door handle or door or ripping apart the underside of the dash to drive off in your car.
Have a CDV to strip and OBD port at the dealer back home waiting for me

Can anyone point me in a good direction for removing the hood latch panel that sits over the port? Thx
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #173
MGL9X
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M (at last!)

I am now exceedingly concerned about the security of the 1M after an incident which happened last night. Some scumbag smashed the passenger side window by ripping it out

Even after reaching into the car and opening the glove box, the alarm did not activate

Nothing was stolen (there was nothing worth steeling, or anything on display to steel). After cleaning up the mess of broken glass I tried waving my arm around in side the car to try and activate the alarm. The alarm on most occasions did not activate. Based on these results a fully tooled up car thief could pretty much take his time to access the OBD port and make off with the car. If BMW say they have no concerns over of the security of the 1 Series vehicles then they could not have tested it properly or there is problem specific to the 1M...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #174
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGL9X View Post
I am now exceedingly concerned about the security of the 1M after an incident which happened last night. Some scumbag smashed the passenger side window by ripping it out

Even after reaching into the car and opening the glove box, the alarm did not activate

Nothing was stolen (there was nothing worth steeling, or anything on display to steel). After cleaning up the mess of broken glass I tried waving my arm around in side the car to try and activate the alarm. The alarm on most occasions did not activate. Based on these results a fully tooled up car thief could pretty much take his time to access the OBD port and make off with the car. If BMW say they have no concerns over of the security of the 1 Series vehicles then they could not have tested it properly or there is problem specific to the 1M...
Sorry to hear someone broke into your car. Lucky nothing was taken or damaged that much.

I think its time for everyone to put a switch on their OBDII port (power supply - pin #7 ???) or install a switch on fuse #74(but then you will loose your clock/date).

This is not just a 1M problem but a BMW problem - since it effects all 1er's and 3er's as far as I know.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #175
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGL9X View Post
Nothing was stolen (there was nothing worth stealing, or anything on display to steal).
Classic case of thieves looking for car papers in the glove box: either for use for a similar stolen car, or (if the car is just parked in the street) to know where you're living and pay you a visit in the future to get the car keys.
      07-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #176
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

BMW should have think of that !
Appreciate 0