04-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
It sounds nice, but Im looking for a few more options.
My 135i only has the sport package and I miss the "normal" BMW amenities.

LOL!

You mean the NEW "normal" Normal BMW amenities for me is a world-class front engine rear wheel drive, manual transmssion with 50/50 weight handling and amazing brakes, fit and finish that can carry for people with reasonable comfort yet handle like a race car. I guess that's the OLD normal. Sadly, that was what the 1M was supposed to be a sharper more hard core lighter version of the 135i. Yeah, I'm still fighting windmills and even though my wife loves the heated seats in our 325i, I couldn't in all conscience order "heated seats" in this type of car. You really should reconsider the 1M. The 135i, is a great car and you can get sunroof, any color, power everything for less money and you already have suspension bits. Best of luck on your hunt.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
Purple88Gold
Holding Out
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 88 Honda Civic DX

I wonder why a lot of 1M owners are selling their cars. Is it because the market is good and they are making money off these cars? Or is it something else? I'm just really curious.
      04-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I don't think it's that many. Look how many almost brand new M3s are out there. It seems like a lot because we are aware of them. Part of the reason is that they have equity and if you need the money for something else, it is one thing you can give up and recover some of it. If my car was paid off, I would not sell it. I think also, this car appealed to guys that want the latest, greatest car. If you look at the profiles, most people that bought the 1M have had several BMWs in a short time. Finally, BMW released 8 used ones recently from the performance center and some of these dealers have them for insane prices. If you look at private parties there are maybe 7 out of 14. 7 people out of 739 cars (one was pace car) is .95% of 1M owners selling their 1Ms after 1 1/2 years. Even if you count the 14 total that is 1.9%. I would venture to say that M3 owners are selling 18 month old M3s at a higher rate and at a loss.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple88Gold View Post
I wonder why a lot of 1M owners are selling their cars. Is it because the market is good and they are making money off these cars? Or is it something else? I'm just really curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I don't think it's that many. Look how many almost brand new M3s are out there. It seems like a lot because we are aware of them. Part of the reason is that they have equity and if you need the money for something else, it is one thing you can give up and recover some of it. If my car was paid off, I would not sell it. I think also, this car appealed to guys that want the latest, greatest car. If you look at the profiles, most people that bought the 1M have had several BMWs in a short time. Finally, BMW released 8 used ones recently from the performance center and some of these dealers have them for insane prices. If you look at private parties there are maybe 7 out of 14. 7 people out of 739 cars (one was pace car) is .95% of 1M owners selling their 1Ms after 1 1/2 years. Even if you count the 14 total that is 1.9%. I would venture to say that M3 owners are selling 18 month old M3s at a higher rate and at a loss.
+1

Was about to say mostly the same thing on my phone, but it looks like the post never went through. (Now that I'm on my laptop,) I couldn't have said it better.

This is definitely not a high number of 1M's on the market. If anything, I'd consider this a "healthy" market leaning towards too little supply (but not actually "too little" where prices are insane and cars don't move until a crazy buyer willing to pay $80k comes around).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #27
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral
I see you have it in the BMW CCA online classifieds. Do you have it scheduled to go in the Roundel?

I never had any luck with BMW CCA classifieds, but when my car (not a 1M) finally hit the Roundel print edition, I got emails from around the country of people looking for just such a car.

The classifieds are one of the first sections I flip to when I get a new Roundel.
Yes it will be coming out in June Roundel. I would love to find someone that appreciates this at as much as I do.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #28
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple88Gold View Post
probably a combination of that and the fact that like most car enthusiasts, they probably have car ADD (i know i do)

anyway, glws OP
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #29
PLAY_HRD
GOT M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
While the Cayman is the next best for me, it's too perfect. The very imperfections about the 1 like scary torque, ease to put sideways and even the exhaust drone make it MANLY and as much as I like the Cayman it feels Metrosexual in comparison. The Cayman is Pierce Brosnan and the 1 is Daniel Craig. I really enjoy your reviews though! Keep them coming.

Very interesting that you bring up the Cayman, I've been waffling over buying a 1M, Lotus Evora S, or a Cayman R... but like I just said, I'm looking at the R, which has a much more purposeful feel than the base model or even the S. Would love to hear some thoughts, thanks. PH
      04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #30
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAY_HRD View Post
Very interesting that you bring up the Cayman, I've been waffling over buying a 1M, Lotus Evora S, or a Cayman R... but like I just said, I'm looking at the R, which has a much more purposeful feel than the base model or even the S. Would love to hear some thoughts, thanks. PH
That's odd, I've changed my mind on the 1M and decided to get a 997tt instead.
I couldn't justify spending twice as much money on the 1M for maybe 30% more car. (vs my 135i)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #31
PLAY_HRD
GOT M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
I couldn't justify spending twice as much money on the 1M for maybe 30% more car. (vs my 135i)

I can always respect trying to get the most for your money, but luxury and exotics are also about style and image. The best bang for your buck has to be the new 2013 Camaro SS w/ 1LE package. It is a BEAST and only $40K!!!

Since you are looking at the 997tt, can I ask what you think of the Cayman R?
      04-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #32
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
The 997tt is great, but the 1m is way more than 30% more car than a 135.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #33
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yeah the parts difference doesn't tell the whole story. That's like saying P51D was only 30% more than P-51 A! The main difference was more power and a bubble canopy but that extra combination made it into a world class fighter that could compete with the Fw-190 and even superior technology like the ME-262. It's the entire package that makes a great car like it made a great plane. Also like the 1M the P-51 came out of necessity in a super fast development cycle and the threw in bits like the Spitfire's Merlin V12. The rest is history.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #34
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Yeah the parts difference doesn't tell the whole story. That's like saying P51D was only 30% more than P-51 A! The main difference was more power and a bubble canopy but that extra combination made it into a world class fighter that could compete with the Fw-190 and even superior technology like the ME-262. It's the entire package that makes a great car like it made a great plane. Also like the 1M the P-51 came out of necessity in a super fast development cycle and the threw in bits like the Spitfire's Merlin V12. The rest is history.
Nice analogy! I have always believed that rushed up development process and half-heartedness from BMW bean counters indeed were determining factors of 1M's success since it made the 1M a "Pyrat" project of the M engineers and a darling of the in-house enthusiasts not vice versa. People tend to create better ideas and function more efficiently under stress and pressure and find more unlikely solutions, especially in art where most great art appears before/during or after big wars and times of conflict, not at times of peace.

In the case of 1M, I think it was Chris Harris back in December 2011, in the issue of EVO COTY said something along the lines of "like every great car 1M as a unit works better than the sum of its parts".

I am a sceptic in general and don't have much faith in corporate decisions nailing it in the head. We'll see how it will turn out with the next series of M cars M2/3 and 4
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #35
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I posted my comment in another thread, as I thought it was more appropriate.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=38
      04-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
I posted my comment in another thread, as I thought it was more appropriate.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=38
Brilliant!!! I had not even thought of that. There will only be one 1M coupe in 2011-2012 and the last manual trans only car made by BMW! Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just added CarFax link on Autotrader in case anyone wanted to check it out.

The weird thing is that I picked up the car at Welt with .3 miles on the odo but the dealer just puts down 15 miles and that's what CarFax uses!

Did a minor price drop for now because there is a car that just came up that would fit the bill for now.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=343731294
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #38
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Congrats on the sale, though I'm sad to see you go. Hopefully you'll visit the forum and continue the great contributions. I thought I remembered seeing pics of your European Delivery trip, but couldn't find them. (It would be great to have a thread with links to all the ED write-ups. My write-up is still in the works -- I guess I'm releasing it on my two-year anniversary. )

The real question is, was your AWAK device included in the sale? When I saw you sold your 1M that was the first thing I thought of.

Let us know what you get next and best wishes.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #39
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
Congrats on the sale, though I'm sad to see you go. Hopefully you'll visit the forum and continue the great contributions. I thought I remembered seeing pics of your European Delivery trip, but couldn't find them. (It would be great to have a thread with links to all the ED write-ups. My write-up is still in the works -- I guess I'm releasing it on my two-year anniversary. )

The real question is, was your AWAK device included in the sale? When I saw you sold your 1M that was the first thing I thought of.

Let us know what you get next and best wishes.
LOL. I still have the AWAK device. I lost website hosting so the pictures went away. I kept the car perfect. I am a lot sadder than I thought I would be. I just got my 110 Euro shirt and now I'm embarrased to wear it since I don't have the car anymore. It really is a great machine and as we said, the last BMW to only come in a manual so it will always be special. i will always be a fan and who knows I might pick one up used in a year or two. Right now I have some immediate home needs but once those get taken care of maybe one of you guys will sell me yours later or if the M2 is still offered in a manual without all the fluff, then I would consider that too. In the meantime, I am still a huge fan and as long as you guys let me hang around, I plan too! If you guys want the dimensions of the AWAK device, I might post that too. I have to find some picture hosting so I can get the picture up there.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 03:14 AM   #40
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
In the meantime, I am still a huge fan and as long as you guys let me hang around, I plan too! If you guys want the dimensions of the AWAK device, I might post that too. I have to find some picture hosting so I can get the picture up there.

Thanks.
nachob - you are always welcome around here.

As for your photos... just upload them directly to 1Addicts...

When making a posting... Click: Go Advanced... then click on the little paper clip icon... then upload your photos or pdf files. After the photos are uploded you can place the curser in your text(where you want your photo(s)) and then click on the paper clip icon again to embed the photos.

IF you do not do that last step... you get an outline around your photos when it posts. That last step is optional.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #41
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
LOL. I still have the AWAK device. I lost website hosting so the pictures went away. I kept the car perfect. I am a lot sadder than I thought I would be. I just got my 110 Euro shirt and now I'm embarrased to wear it since I don't have the car anymore. It really is a great machine and as we said, the last BMW to only come in a manual so it will always be special. i will always be a fan and who knows I might pick one up used in a year or two. Right now I have some immediate home needs but once those get taken care of maybe one of you guys will sell me yours later or if the M2 is still offered in a manual without all the fluff, then I would consider that too. In the meantime, I am still a huge fan and as long as you guys let me hang around, I plan too! If you guys want the dimensions of the AWAK device, I might post that too. I have to find some picture hosting so I can get the picture up there.

Thanks.
Best wishes!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #42
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
nachob - you are always welcome around here.

As for your photos... just upload them directly to 1Addicts...

When making a posting... Click: Go Advanced... then click on the little paper clip icon... then upload your photos or pdf files. After the photos are uploded you can place the curser in your text(where you want your photo(s)) and then click on the paper clip icon again to embed the photos.

IF you do not do that last step... you get an outline around your photos when it posts. That last step is optional.

Dack
6 months ban - FIRM!

thanx for the friendship and stopping by the store, you're always welcome to come up and drive mine while I still have it
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #43
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
6 months ban - FIRM!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #44
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
6 months ban - FIRM!

thanx for the friendship and stopping by the store, you're always welcome to come up and drive mine while I still have it
Good guys. Still hope to stay in touch and I still want to buy Dack a beer either here in SoCal or in the back in Germany. I will be at Bimmerfest and I'm looking for another BMW for now. As I said, I think in a year or two, I might pick up one of your used ones or if the M2 is worthy, I might try to get one of those.

By the way, it's been a lot harder than I realized to let it go. I had one of the coolest cars in the world and now I'm drving and old minivan! : )

My next task is to find something I can pick up like a manual 325i, 330i or even a 330 ZHP. Thanks again guys.
Appreciate 0