BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #1
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i cabrio

SULEV warranty for camshaft sensor/ check engine light

i have a 2009 128i convertible (n51 sulev engine) that had a check engine light. i scanned it with INPA and found that it said the cam shaft sensor was the reason for the issue. Took the car to "Crevier BMW" (in Long Beach, CA) and they are doing the repair free of charge because it is covered under the SULEV warranty. They even offered me a loaner car while my car was being repaired. The reason for this post is I have noticed alot of questions about SULEV and how to get things covered with minimal information out there and wanted to share the specs:

2009 bmw 128i (n51 sulev engine)
98,000 miles
no active dealer warranty
car was originally sold in CA when it was new ( some dealers want to know that but i found out that it does NOT matter for sulev all they want is current registration to be CA)
the service tech told me that sometimes they wont even check where the car is registered
i live in las vegas NV so it was worth the 100 ish bucks in gas to drive from vegas to long beach to have them fix the cam sensor under sulev
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE: The dealer said there was still a misfire in cyl 6 and that they "did everything they could now they are waiting for tech help from bmw NA to advise what to fix out of my pocket and not sulev"

waited 2 or so days and the tech tells me "ran another test and found you need a new cat, got cat covered under sulev"

BMW CREIVER IN LONG BEACH IS THE ONLY PLACE I WILL TAKE MY BMWS FROM NOW ON!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #3
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
I have also have a 2009 128i and have been happy with the SULEV warranty. In 2024 we will be responsible for everything, so hopefully the expensive fuel tank or radiator will not need to be replaced.
      08-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

by that time it means we need new cars 8)
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

So what exactly is covered under the SULEV warranty ?

Was thinking of doing some preventative maintenance but I'll skip whatever is covered lol
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaddDroid7 View Post
So what exactly is covered under the SULEV warranty ?

Was thinking of doing some preventative maintenance but I'll skip whatever is covered lol
so depending on the state you live in and the how good the dealership is at getting BMW NA (North America) to cover it its SUPPOSED to by anything from the gas tank to the exhaust. anything that gas passes through. i tried to get some misfires handled from Crevier BMW in Long Beach (supposedly the best dealership in the country to get SULEV shit fixed) They were at the point of replacing the entire engine for free (they had already replaced the cam sensor, vanos, DMC and ECU. They couldnt get it to stop misfiring and then found that the valve cover was repaired by a non dealership (even though it was certified to work on BMW) and because of that they took out all the shit they replaced and gave me my car back. didnt get charged anything but very annoying

so TLDR dont do any work on it yourself until you get BMW to fix it first
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:49 PM   #7
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep

Is it possible to have my BMW checked by dealership and then they'll proceed with all repairs or Do they only honor the warranty when it's already broken lmao

California BTW
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:22 PM   #8
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Is it possible to have my BMW checked by dealership and then they'll proceed with all repairs or Do they only honor the warranty when it's already broken lmao

California BTW
So its tough. they WANT to tell you to fuck yourself and let the car break on you but you may have some luck. Heres what you need to do:

get the exact BMW codes (not generic autozone scanner codes)
have a check engine light on (they wont do shit unless the check engine light is on)
and then give them a call ahead of time and say hey.....

They should fix it for free and if not call another dealer. If youre in the south of CA make the trip to Crevier BMW they are "the best sulev dealership" per BMW NA
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #9
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep

OK thank you for the reply ! I have no codes or check engine light as of right now *knocks on wood* but I know the warranty ends soon. I really don't want to come out of pocket for the repairs so guess I'll pray and wait haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #10
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OK thank you for the reply ! I have no codes or check engine light as of right now *knocks on wood* but I know the warranty ends soon. I really don't want to come out of pocket for the repairs so guess I'll pray and wait haha.
just make sure that if you have had ANY work done on the engine (valve cover, alternator, ect) you have the paperwork from it and let the dealership know before hand that it was done if / when you get a check engine light before 150k miles or 15 years
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:13 PM   #11
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvfb View Post
just make sure that if you have had ANY work done on the engine (valve cover, alternator, ect) you have the paperwork from it and let the dealership know before hand that it was done if / when you get a check engine light before 150k miles or 15 years
No work has been done as of yet but I have modified the exhaust(resonator delete and installed a borla XS muffler). Idk if they play a role or not, Also put on a new intake boot
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #12
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No work has been done as of yet but I have modified the exhaust(resonator delete and installed a borla XS muffler). Idk if they play a role or not, Also put on a new intake boot
you should be alright as they only care about the like 2 to 3 degrees of items near it that could cause it to fuck up.
Appreciate 0