BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2021, 04:27 AM   #1
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Slide my car tonight !

So ever since I got my 128 I haven't ever tried to slide it because I tried a few times before and I didn't really get anything. Tonight was different tho lmao, so I was driving home and came to a empty road with a left turn. So I decided this is the time I go for it for real for real. Turned off traction completely, put it in Manual mode and floored it....maaaaaaaaan I almost lost it but I caught it and fished tailed a little and peeled out. I was hyped but also kinda scared. Any tips on controlling it more ?? Im stock for the most part. Just have a res delete w/ borla muffler , silicone intake boot , and K&N filter.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Dru128m
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 128i E82 & 09 328i E93

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328I E93  [0.00]
Practice safe my friend. They're fairly snappy having such a short wheelbase, so can loop on you pretty easily. Find a place you can drive safely in a big circle, start tightening the circle and let her rip. Once its breaking loose, Counter steer, start feathering the throttle, catch the slide. It's really about lots of practice and getting the feel for it. Warning, at some point it will go all wrong, and then you fly off the road backwards. So pick your shots carefully.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #3
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Yep. Snappy would be the good word.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

At 105", the wheelbase is not particularly short from a sporting standpoint, and is not the reason for any feelings of snappy-ness. That's more an issue of design and/or tuning shortcomings, of which these cars have plenty. My 89" wheelbase turbo Miata had zero electronic stability or traction control nannies, and was a peach when it came to initiating and controlling mild power induced oversteer.

Your next mod should be tightening the nut behind the wheel. My recommendation for learning to handle the car at the limit is to find your local autocross club, SCCA or otherwise, and start participating in events while also planning to attend their next drivers school.
      10-25-2021, 05:09 PM   #5
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru128m View Post
Practice safe my friend. They're fairly snappy having such a short wheelbase, so can loop on you pretty easily. Find a place you can drive safely in a big circle, start tightening the circle and let her rip. Once its breaking loose, Counter steer, start feathering the throttle, catch the slide. It's really about lots of practice and getting the feel for it. Warning, at some point it will go all wrong, and then you fly off the road backwards. So pick your shots carefully.
Thanks for the tips and warning

Appreciate it for real !
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #6
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Yep. Snappy would be the good word.
Dope whip , I've been looking for some new calipers and rotors. How's the big brake kit ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven5 View Post
At 105", the wheelbase is not particularly short from a sporting standpoint, and is not the reason for any feelings of snappy-ness. That's more an issue of design and/or tuning shortcomings, of which these cars have plenty. My 89" wheelbase turbo Miata had zero electronic stability or traction control nannies, and was a peach when it came to initiating and controlling mild power induced oversteer.

Your next mod should be tightening the nut behind the wheel. My recommendation for learning to handle the car at the limit is to find your local autocross club, SCCA or otherwise, and start participating in events while also planning to attend their next drivers school.
You think I should do this mod even tho it's my DD? I don't plan on becoming the next pro drifter haha just something to do when I find a few spots to practice. I'd probably say 1-3 times a month when I'm free.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #8
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

I am a firm believer that, entirely regardless of what a drivers intentions are, driver upgrades offer the best return on investment of any mod... But especially for those wanting to even just once in a while push the limits. As for your DD, do you not think that the 'ultimate driving machine' can handle dodging (and occasionally killing) a few plastic cones?

Last edited by Driven5; 10-27-2021 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #9
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Part of the issue with this car is the lack of LSD and the simulated "E-LSD" which uses the brakes. When I had my first 135i back in my early 20s I used to slide it and the E-LSD makes it very unpredictable. If you put in a proper LSD that will help a lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Part of the issue with this car is the lack of LSD and the simulated "E-LSD" which uses the brakes. When I had my first 135i back in my early 20s I used to slide it and the E-LSD makes it very unpredictable. If you put in a proper LSD that will help a lot.

Ahhh makes sense. Idk if i'll ever get around to that I got a few other things I want to do before LSD
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #11
mad_hatter
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i, MK7 GTI

Unpredictable and snappy as the other have said is about right. I also 100% agree on taking it to auto-x or other HPDE to improve your own car control, and also keep it off the street IMO.

I had full oppo-lock on to save this slide at an autocross earlier this summer.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:24 AM   #12
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Learning should take place in lower grip situations first. There's less chance of speed becoming a factor. Gravel, wet road, ice or snow are all better for learning than dry pavement.
The key is learning throttle control and not using brakes.
And just the nature of cars, when you first stab it to initiate a slide the rear wants to go counterclockwise. So if you're turning left the ass end is going to come around faster than if you where taking a right.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #13
Giberish33
Rep
Drives: 128i M Pack

Only tip I can give besides what everyone else already said about practice is get used to not flooring it when you want to slide. The automatic trans will shift for you even in manual mode at redline, this will result in you starting a slide in 1st and it shifts into second creating lots of wheel speed and more slide than you wanted. Same goes in the snow, modulate the pedal is the most tricky thing since the trans wants to shift.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #14
RaddDroid7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giberish33 View Post
Only tip I can give besides what everyone else already said about practice is get used to not flooring it when you want to slide. The automatic trans will shift for you even in manual mode at redline, this will result in you starting a slide in 1st and it shifts into second creating lots of wheel speed and more slide than you wanted. Same goes in the snow, modulate the pedal is the most tricky thing since the trans wants to shift.
Bet. I'll keep that in mind for next time
Appreciate 0