BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i cabrio

[2009 128i n51] Glove fuse box help

i was trying to figure out what fuses i needed to change on a used e88 i bought and noticed that my amps on my fuses differ from what a few online places suggest. Can you guys upload pics of your box so we can compare?

i have a 2009 128i non sport mode convertible with the n51 sulev engine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

not sure why it flipped it but this is upside down. the "5 7.5 30 40" fuses should be on the top of the picture
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
nmit
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010 128i

I'm new to learning about cars and was wondering how you access this part. How did you learn how to read/understand it?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmit View Post
I'm new to learning about cars and was wondering how you access this part. How did you learn how to read/understand it?
this is located behind the glove box in the 1 series

as for reading it and understanding it

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:26 PM   #5
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvfb View Post
i was trying to figure out what fuses i needed to change on a used e88 i bought and noticed that my amps on my fuses differ from what a few online places suggest. Can you guys upload pics of your box so we can compare?

i have a 2009 128i non sport mode convertible with the n51 sulev engine
Is the little paper / booklet that's behind the glovebox that has the diagram gone?

What other options do you have? If you have navigation or special audio or alarm it might be different than another e88 n51.

But looking at the colors of the fuses it seems like a few of them were changed at some point. I know when I changed the lighter and horn fuses the ones I put in were a slightly different yellow and red to the ones that came out so it seems like someone has changed something (not saying they are wrong) just been changed at some point.

Is there something not working on your car? Some of the online places may give you fuse layout for one model and one specific year and it's totally different from another. My gfs Audi's fuse boxes are different from what I had seen online. I heard of some people getting fed up with their cigarette lighter fuse failing constantly so they went from a 15amp to a 20amp or 10 to 15. I read other people saying you shouldn't ever do that because other components could fail when the fuse should have so I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't think bmw changed these very much year on year or between LCI and non but it's possible. They certainly couldn't have made the fuse box any more of a pita to deal with and change.

If something isn't working I recommend getting a proper set of fuse tweezers or grips, the ones that you get with fuses are terrible and this is made 100x worse by the fusebox location.

Id send you my fusebox diagram but I don't think it would help as mine is an e82 n52 and pretty much no add ons besides electric seats and dimming mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #6
lvfb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Is the little paper / booklet that's behind the glovebox that has the diagram gone?

What other options do you have? If you have navigation or special audio or alarm it might be different than another e88 n51.

But looking at the colors of the fuses it seems like a few of them were changed at some point. I know when I changed the lighter and horn fuses the ones I put in were a slightly different yellow and red to the ones that came out so it seems like someone has changed something (not saying they are wrong) just been changed at some point.

Is there something not working on your car? Some of the online places may give you fuse layout for one model and one specific year and it's totally different from another. My gfs Audi's fuse boxes are different from what I had seen online. I heard of some people getting fed up with their cigarette lighter fuse failing constantly so they went from a 15amp to a 20amp or 10 to 15. I read other people saying you shouldn't ever do that because other components could fail when the fuse should have so I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't think bmw changed these very much year on year or between LCI and non but it's possible. They certainly couldn't have made the fuse box any more of a pita to deal with and change.

If something isn't working I recommend getting a proper set of fuse tweezers or grips, the ones that you get with fuses are terrible and this is made 100x worse by the fusebox location.

Id send you my fusebox diagram but I don't think it would help as mine is an e82 n52 and pretty much no add ons besides electric seats and dimming mirrors.
it was a car i had just bought that had all kinds of issues (many posts on my profile about what was going on) i ended up fixing all of them by matching the fuses to what was online and changing a bunch of modules

car is good now

but ya i did not have the paper with the info so i was scared to use what i found online since there was so many different versions
Appreciate 0