BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #1
WgSo
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

What flanges needed to fit 135i muffler

EDIT:
Changing my approach since the 128i resonator is a different size compared to the 135i. At this point, I'll need two types of flanges. Anyone know the size of the flanges for:
  • Mating to n52 headers
  • Attaching 135i muffler

Looking to bolt on the 135i muffler on my 128i. The idea is to cut my muffler near the resonator and weld a flange on there so I can install the 135i muffler as if it was stock versus having to weld it on. Wondering if anyone know what kind of flange I would need to do that and where can I get one?

Last edited by WgSo; 12-01-2021 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

The easiest solution would be to cut/weld from a 135i mid-pipe. However, the 135i has a shorter resonator and the flange occupies some of the same space as the 128i resonator. So you wouldn't be able to attach it there. You'll at least need to use the 135i resonator as well.

This may provide some useful information: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1735292
      10-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Any reason you want to put in a flange for bolt on? If you want a 135i rear muffler, you can just weld it directly to the resonator output (had a shop do this for me when fitting the 135i muffler). As the other poster said the 135i resonator is shorter so you just cut off the flange and weld direct.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #4
WgSo
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Finally have a chance to revisit this project again after dealing with other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven5 View Post
The easiest solution would be to cut/weld from a 135i mid-pipe. However, the 135i has a shorter resonator and the flange occupies some of the same space as the 128i resonator. So you wouldn't be able to attach it there. You'll at least need to use the 135i resonator as well.

This may provide some useful information: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1735292
I actually didn't noticed that the stock resonators are of different size until you point it out! Anyway, your thread was actually what inspired me to tackle this project! Sadly, I couldn't find any N55 midpipes at a reasonable cost.

At this point, I'm thinking about these 3 options:
  1. Adapt a N55 Midpipe
  2. Weld on a 135i resonator
  3. Custom midpipe that I can bolt on to my AA headers and have a 135i muffler/exhaust flange

Honestly, the third option at this point seems the most compelling because the price people are asking for the entire midpipe or resonator is pretty absurd at the moment. The total cost to get them to work on my car exceeds a custom midpipe, if not matching the cost of it. Another benefit of the third option is I can do a double resonator like how the berk or maddad midpipe works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Any reason you want to put in a flange for bolt on? If you want a 135i rear muffler, you can just weld it directly to the resonator output (had a shop do this for me when fitting the 135i muffler). As the other poster said the 135i resonator is shorter so you just cut off the flange and weld direct.
The idea is to be able to take advantage of all other 135i exhaust available without having to constantly go to a welder to weld things, I could just bolt them on. Another added benefit is that I can always resell things without issue, as I didn't modify them by cutting and welding them to my exhaust.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, I'll need two types of flanges. Anyone know the size of the flanges for:
  • Mating the mid pipe to n52 headers
  • Attaching 135i muffler
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
friksson@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: BMW E8X

Have you seen this?

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1583481
Appreciate 0