BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

DIY: Testing DISA valves with ISTA/INPA

So if you're like me and maybe have some DISA codes such as 002AA8 and or 002AA9 and lastly P1511 or just want to check your DISA valves this walks you through the basics of how to do it. Now for my problem I didn't need to remove the inner valve mine was just the connector, but if you do need to check that valve (aka the smaller valve or valve 2) you will have to remove your intake manifold.

To check the outer/lager valve/valve 1 I will give you brief instructions as its pretty easy to remove and test.

Tools used:
Electric ratchet makes these way easier but not needed
A magnet on a stick so when removing bolts i can hold them with that so they don't fall.
T20 bit
10mm socket
8mm socket
various extensions.
Flat head screw driver

Step 1: Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the power steering reservoir in place, I like to also remove the inner metal sleeves so they dont accidentally fall out at any point and then need to replace them. and just sit the reservoir off to the side as you'll probably move it around a bunch.
Step 2: take out maf (don't remember the tool size as my maf is held in with zip ties )
Step 3: remove intake - mines aftermarket I use the injen intake so i just had to remove one 8mm hose clamp to get the entire assembly out including the rubber coupler to the throttle body.
Step 4: right beside the DISA valve is a metal plate held on with two T20 screws that you have to remove - it just gives a slot for the wiring harness to hold in place.
Step 5: undo the for T20 screws holding the valve in place
Step 6: may not be needed but for me i needed to use a flat head to remove the valve as it was pressed in very tightly so i lightly pried it out. Make sure if you can't get it it's not caught on something. In my attempt it was caught on the hose clamp that holds my intake coupler in place so i removed it then it came out.
Step 7: leave connector attached
Step 8: Plug in to your computer, go Key on Engine off, open ISTA or INPA
Step 9: if using ISTA go to operations > complete identification > let it load everything > control units list > DME >Call up ECU functions > Component triggering >Variable Intake System > Variable Intake System 1 (Engine OFF) > Trigger component once to open > Trigger component once to close.

Here is a video showing the ISTA steps and what a working valve should look like. If it only opens or closes partially it is broken.

From my understanding I haven't tried on INPA but I have seen others do it. For that the steps are:
Step 9: "If using INPA go to Engine > your DME (ex. MSV80.0) > F6 (Activate) > F1 (Actuator Activations 1) > Shift+F6 (VIMDISA). I believe you should return to control to the DME (F3) afterwards." Credit to @freedomfries over on e90post

While i know the INPA is not my own work I just thought while doing all the same steps it may be easier for others to have in a newer/same thread.

Hope this helps some of you.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops

Last edited by 519.E82; 02-15-2019 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0