BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

Avin 10,25 multi media E82-88

Has anyone tried this? How is integration with stock head unit?
Thoughts?

https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-1-seri...on-system.html
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 02:26 AM   #2
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Oh damn. Somebody be the test bunny and do a DIY
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
marcock
Rep
Drives: 125i European Spec

Theres a few threads about this, i´ve also been looking for some real cases of this retrofit, but all i could find was just a few videos from some asian people and a russian guy explaining the retrofit (I dont speak nor read any russian haha).

Bimmer retrofit used to sell this kit in 2015 for around 1400 usd....

http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...product_id=117

besides you will need to cut and trim several dashboard pieces to make it work

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1203471
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #4
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcock View Post
Theres a few threads about this, i´ve also been looking for some real cases of this retrofit, but all i could find was just a few videos from some asian people and a russian guy explaining the retrofit (I dont speak nor read any russian haha).

Bimmer retrofit used to sell this kit in 2015 for around 1400 usd....

http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...product_id=117

besides you will need to cut and trim several dashboard pieces to make it work

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1203471
The bimmerretrofit was an actual NBT retrotfit. Not one of these NBT look android units.
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
gt2013
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

I have installed one of these units and its be a bumpy ride. Few of the issues that have been reported are:

1. Bad Audio (can be fixed with Root and Viper4Audio)
2. Laggy and slow (apparently the new Android 7 and 2gb RAM are better)
3. GPS issues, you'll have to play around till you get the perfect spot
4. Boot time from cold start is around 30sec which might be an issue for you
5. My media buttons (steering wheel) don't always work and I have to play around with it till they start working (they seem to be tied together with the stock music player)
6. The stock music player (BMW themed) can't handle huge libraries 1,500+ songs

From the install, you have to cut a hole into your dash and eventually you will get squeaking from the unit as its not the most stable construction (imagine NE roads)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
jamespaoli
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Can i pick anyones brain on this retrofit or on the metra solution with some LCD/Radio? Need to know what to order and how to wire this sucker
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:35 AM   #7
Boki_E87
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e87 lci 2008

Idrive

Hi guys,

So i have a BMW E87 LCI 2008 with CCC navigation system. One week ago i bought from Avinusa.com their android device. Now i installed it and it worked perfectly except 1 thing.... when i go back to my old idrive system my idrive controller wont work properly... they told me to try every car type option there was but nothing worked... i placed a video on youtube on how it looks...

Hope you can help me.

Greets,Boris
      08-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boki_E87 View Post
Hi guys,

So i have a BMW E87 LCI 2008 with CCC navigation system. One week ago i bought from Avinusa.com their android device. Now i installed it and it worked perfectly except 1 thing.... when i go back to my old idrive system my idrive controller wont work properly... they told me to try every car type option there was but nothing worked... i placed a video on youtube on how it looks...

Hope you can help me.

Greets,Boris
Hey Boris,

Question on the Avin install, do you know if it can be done in cars without iDrive and if a backup cam can be installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
Boki_E87
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e87 lci 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespaoli View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hope you can help me.

Greets,Boris
Hey Boris,

Question on the Avin install, do you know if it can be done in cars without iDrive and if a backup cam can be installed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespaoli View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hope you can help me.

Greets,Boris
Hey Boris,

Yes, it can be installed without idrive. You can order the new idrive controller if you want. Im gonna install the backup camera to.
      08-26-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Do you have to order the iDrive controller or is the screen touch screen? I emailed Avin and awaiting a reply..

Do you keep the old radio/headunit?
Does your steering wheel controls work?
Does the bluetooth/iphone work with it?
Will apps on my iPhone be accessible on the Avin unit?

I apologize i am a complete noob and trying to cover what i will get out of this install, the goal is backup camera and iPhone to work with it really.. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
Sheng
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Has anyone come across an updated tablet which has android 7.1 and 2gb of ram?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #12
Sheng
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Anyone here tried either of these?

https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-1-seri...on-system.html

https://4x4shop.ca/product/oem-fit-r...al-nbt-system/

Either 7.1 or 8.1?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #13
rafcin66
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hope you can help me.

Greets,Boris
Hi Boris, hows the unit travelling, so many months in? You still happy or regrets? Any major issues?

cheers

Raf
      05-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #14
LUX_nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 Sedona Red 135i

Bumping this to see if anyone else has installed this to get feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #15
gt2013
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have the older Android 4.4 Gen2 version of this system (my car has no iDrive). I've heard the newer systems Android 7.1 / 8 is better but it still requires some fiddling / tweaking to get it to work somewhat more stable.

1) Boot time is anywhere from 15sec to 30secs (on my older unit, the Google services really slowed down the device (1GB of ram) so I disabled all of them).
2) Sound is still somewhat of an issue; If you have iDrive, most users stream music through the iDrive system while viewing the android side; You can also root your unit and install Viper4Android (that's what I do - it's closer sounding to stock). Some users also say that if you set the volume on the android side to 50% it sounds a lot better but this greatly reduces the max volume at least in what I experienced.
3) Somehow everything software related is tied to the manufacturers "EventCenter" - if it fails / behaves weirdly etc. the whole unit starts acting funky and needs a restart.
4) You cannot change the "Home menu" tiles, they are fixed and you can only change the default navigation app which I think is a shame.
5) It will also automatically start the default Music player at boot / or their phone app. I've tried disabling it but then the EventCenter started acting weird and I didn't get sound but that might be more stable on newer versions.

I hear CarPlay works great with the adapter. I use Android Auto with an adapter and its what I use exclusively now; It works pretty well and I don't have to deal with any of the stock software installed on the unit. But it takes some time to boot to android auto, so keep that in mind.

Overall its a decent unit, if you are willing to put a bit of effort in working around the issues you'll be happy most of the time. One thing I also wanted to add is that the construction of the unit itself is decent, looks stock but it started to squeak in my car when driving over a rough patch of road - Foam tape can help but keep that in mind if that annoys you.
Appreciate 1
LUX_nyc25.00
      05-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #16
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt2013 View Post
I have the older Android 4.4 Gen2 version of this system (my car has no iDrive). I've heard the newer systems Android 7.1 / 8 is better but it still requires some fiddling / tweaking to get it to work somewhat more stable.

1) Boot time is anywhere from 15sec to 30secs (on my older unit, the Google services really slowed down the device (1GB of ram) so I disabled all of them).
2) Sound is still somewhat of an issue; If you have iDrive, most users stream music through the iDrive system while viewing the android side; You can also root your unit and install Viper4Android (that's what I do - it's closer sounding to stock). Some users also say that if you set the volume on the android side to 50% it sounds a lot better but this greatly reduces the max volume at least in what I experienced.
3) Somehow everything software related is tied to the manufacturers "EventCenter" - if it fails / behaves weirdly etc. the whole unit starts acting funky and needs a restart.
4) You cannot change the "Home menu" tiles, they are fixed and you can only change the default navigation app which I think is a shame.
5) It will also automatically start the default Music player at boot / or their phone app. I've tried disabling it but then the EventCenter started acting weird and I didn't get sound but that might be more stable on newer versions.

I hear CarPlay works great with the adapter. I use Android Auto with an adapter and its what I use exclusively now; It works pretty well and I don't have to deal with any of the stock software installed on the unit. But it takes some time to boot to android auto, so keep that in mind.

Overall its a decent unit, if you are willing to put a bit of effort in working around the issues you'll be happy most of the time. One thing I also wanted to add is that the construction of the unit itself is decent, looks stock but it started to squeak in my car when driving over a rough patch of road - Foam tape can help but keep that in mind if that annoys you.

This is what i was afraid of with this unit, especially the squeaking.

I just got the Joyning single din unit. Hopefully will install this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #17
gt2013
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
This is what i was afraid of with this unit, especially the squeaking.

I just got the Joyning single din unit. Hopefully will install this weekend.
I've also had the Joying Unit, definitely better especially with the instant boot (you run a cable to the battery) - I followed the thread of the install on this forum, feel free to PM any questions. The reason why I went back to the Avin unit is because I installed the Alpine Retrofit kit and it does not work well with it (at least not without some custom rewiring).

For those that are interested: The problem with the Alpine kit is that the rear speakers are still amplified by the stock head-unit (while the front speakers go through the amp), If you connect this to the Joying Unit (unamplified or amplified connections) the front will overpower the rear speakers and it just sounds uneven, you can adjust this in the sound settings but its still quite audible. I am sure there is some software tweaking you can do but it just didn't seem worth the hassle to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:13 AM   #18
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUX_nyc View Post
Bumping this to see if anyone else has installed this to get feedback.
there are not alot of review for E series, i started one , you can check here at1erforum.de but unfortunately in german

sincerely Chri
Appreciate 0