BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-25-2019, 12:56 AM   #1
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport E88

Lightbulb Replace Map, Trunk, Glove box lights with LEDs

This is a pretty easy mod, the only difficult access is to the overhead map lights.
The LEDs I got from SuperBright LEDs online; they are only a few dollars each and will probably last longer than the car, plus they won't run your battery down if they get left on.

The trunk light is very easy to pry out and has a metal inside cover that you slide off and then remove and replace the festoon type bulb with a CAN type #578

The glove box is also easy to remove with a flat head screw driver. You just pry on the slot on the right and it pops right out. It takes a CAN type #6418

The overhead map lights are a bit more difficult to get at. I was miss lead by another member about how to remove the panel but figured it out before I ruined the finish. The whole assembly is removed, NOT the clear lens part or the two black donut pieces that the member told me could be removed.

You can see in this photo that you carefully pry around the edges of the unit to get it part way out using some non maring, thin plastic tools.. be very careful you don't slip and mar the plastic finish:

Once you get it part way our you will see that on the right side there are two spring loaded catches that when pressed in allow you to pull it out the rest of the way. On the left side there are three "hinge" sort of pieces.
Here's a photo of the right side and left side and you can also see the spring type side catches as well:

The bulbs are removed by simply turning the white holders to remove them, pulling the old bulb out and replacing it with the CAN 194 LED they just plug into the holder, then you screw the holder back in.

This may not be exactly the same for all years and models, but should get you on your way.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
AaronI10.50