BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #23
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh135 View Post
I'm not sure how many more ways I can say this: RPM builds faster with the PB controller.
This is simply not true. We can know rationally due to the way the device connects to the car that it cannot do this. All it can do is fake the ECU into thinking you are pressing the pedal down further, but it still maxes out at 100%. It can do very little else.

The "rpm builds faster" isn't even a worthwhile statement. Why not claim you have more power? If you are in gear under load with the clutch fully engaged building RPM faster with all else being equal necessarily means the car is accelerating faster and making more power, which of course is ABSURD to claim this pedalbox device can do.

Your continued stubbornness and incredulousness leads me to believe you are just outright delusional. Please tell me you have nothing to do with any technical, engineering, science, or medical tasks in your day job... If not, I cry for humanity.

Also, at the time of writing this, 5 of dsh135's 8 total posts ever in this forum are in this thread, which sets off my shill alarm.

I invite everyone to go read this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744073

If you like the "feel" of the touchier throttle pedal that is fine, but do not make false claims that it makes your car faster. It's the same thing as just pushing your foot farther down, and ultimately does nothing if you put your foot to the floor. If it helps you heel toe better, that's perfectly valid, too.

I'd also say anyone who actually cares about performance will have a tuning solution on their car, and several of those already offer throttle mappings. With Cobb and RaceTuner you can hand tweak a huge 3D table (accelerator and RPM axes) if you don't like either of the two available throttle mappings they have on every actual power tuning map. The Pedalbox, for several hundred dollars, only gives you three options (I believe last time I checked) and it has no hand tuning. I don't believe its internal maps even know what the RPM is so it's really a rough patch-over job, again due to the fact it just hooks into the accelerator pedal and not the crank signal, CAN bus, ignition system, etc.

Last edited by Freon; 06-19-2013 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also, at the time of writing this, 5 of dsh135's 8 total posts ever in this forum are in this thread, which sets off my shill alarm.
To follow up on myself, looking at the rest of this post history it is more of the same. Not surprised.

dsh135, do you have a financial interested with the company that makes the Pedalbox? Do you have friends or family that works there? Why are 100% of your posts just pushing the product? Why do you make such blatantly false claims about what the product does?
      06-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
This is simply not true. We can know rationally due to the way the device connects to the car that it cannot do this. All it can do is fake the ECU into thinking you are pressing the pedal down further, but it still maxes out at 100%. It can do very little else.

The "rpm builds faster" isn't even a worthwhile statement. Why not claim you have more power? If you are in gear under load with the clutch fully engaged building RPM faster with all else being equal necessarily means the car is accelerating faster and making more power, which of course is ABSURD to claim this pedalbox device can do.

Your continued stubbornness and incredulousness leads me to believe you are just outright delusional. Please tell me you have nothing to do with any technical, engineering, science, or medical tasks in your day job... If not, I cry for humanity.

I invite everyone to go read this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744073

If you like the "feel" of the touchier throttle pedal that is fine, but do not make false claims that it makes your car faster. It's the same thing as just pushing your foot farther down, and ultimately does nothing if you put your foot to the floor. If it helps you heel toe better, that's perfectly valid, too.

I'd also say anyone who actually cares about performance will have a tuning solution on their car, and several of those already offer throttle mappings. With Cobb and RaceTuner you can hand tweak a huge 3D table (accelerator and RPM axes) if you don't like either of the two available throttle mappings they have on every actual power tuning map. The Pedalbox, for several hundred dollars, only gives you three options (I believe last time I checked) and it has no hand tuning. I don't believe its internal maps even know what the RPM is so it's really a rough patch-over job, again due to the fact it just hooks into the accelerator pedal and not the crank signal, CAN bus, ignition system, etc.

What a blatant sales pitch full of misinformation. I'll sell a brick to tape to your right shoe, probably work just as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Let's reiterate this - the pedalbox is not changing the car's ECU in any way whatsoever. It is only changing the signal from your accelerator pedal. No more, no less. This amplified signal coming out of the pedalbox mimics you pressing the pedal further, and that is ALL that it does. So get this whole nonsense about it fixing or changing anything related to the programming of the ECU out of your heads. It doesn't work that way.

When the ECU picks up that amplified signal, and it is fooled into thinking that your foot is deeper into the accelerator pedal than it actually is, then at that point yes the results you guys speak of do happen. Revs build faster, the ECU gives boost sooner, all the results you like do in fact happen. And that is because the ECU thinks you've "stepped on it", and it acts accordingly. But all you have done is made these things happen with less foot travel. A car without this device only needs to press the pedal down further, which results in sending the exact same signal to the ECU, and results in the exact same things happening.

While you guys are correct on some of these results, you are completely off base as to why, and you are filling in the blanks as to what it is doing incorrectly. If you can't understand how this device works then you know little about cars and / or electronics. You have probably skipped through my explanation with little thought so that you could get to the end and make a reply saying "yeah huh, it does so do all these great things". If you like the pedalbox, that is fine. No one has a problem with that. But please understand how it works and stop making stuff up.

(And by the way, not owning a pedalbox doesn't mean that those who don't own them don't know what they are talking about. Not any more than those without a dozen yellow Type R stickers on their car aren't capable of knowing that those stickers won't actually add 15hp. So as we learn what the pedalbox actually does, maybe we can also skip the logical fallacies?)

I used to have a Type R and I took the stickers off.....Did I lose 15HP?

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I've got to say, I hate the stock throttle map. It feels like the first 30% of travel is almost all dead-zone. I plan on getting a cobb when they do code for the '13's but in the meantime I might just try this.

I know full well it won't make any power and it won't make the engine rev any faster than just pushing the throttle down more, but I like the idea of sharper response at low pedal positions and more tapered response at high throttle positions.
      06-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
I know full well it won't make any power and it won't make the engine rev any faster than just pushing the throttle down more, but I like the idea of sharper response at low pedal positions and more tapered response at high throttle positions.
That would be a perfectly valid reason to buy a Pedalbox. Knowing what it doesn't do, knowing what it does do, and wanting what it does do.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #29
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d_22 View Post
Im with OP on this one. I have a tune AND the pedalbox and both units complement themselves perfectly. Its very hard to understand, but it works and feels amazing!

As soon as your right foot gets near the pedal, you feel the engine power is right there instantly available. When you put the PB off, you can actually feel that here is a "lag" between your foot position and the engine reacting, and the PB makes that lag go away and makes the car drive like a drive-by-cable, much more responsive. This is simply not something that your "right foot can fix". The PB is adjustable, so yes you can set it for 50% pedal is 100% pedal, but no need. I like having it in the regular sport mode, this gives a more dynamic throttle pedal mapping along with the reduced lag and makes the pedal very controllable and lots of fun! I bet any technical driver would really appreciate the drive-by-cable feel.
You just awnser how this whole thing works right there and you cannot see it? Thats because you don't have to push down as far to get that power. Why pay 300$ to do the same thing as push the pedal down further. Its a trick. Your butt thinks its faster and better because with the PB you only push say 10% to get the same result as 25%. How can people be so blind?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #30
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Thumbs up

Quote:
That would be a perfectly valid reason to buy a Pedalbox. Knowing what it doesn't do, knowing what it does do, and wanting what it does do.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #31
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
I'm sorry, you can believe that your car is somehow enhanced by this mod, but essentially you spent money something you could do with your right foot. There is no performance benefit from this what so ever that you couldn't do by pressing the pedal further... And while you may like it better, you didnt really help make anything perform better.
try a pedal box and come back and report if this is the case... don't reply to me with your arguments just try using it and come back with a report.

that also goes to anyoe making this argument... cuz I used to think the same thing till i used 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #32
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
try a pedal box and come back and report if this is the case... don't reply to me with your arguments just try using it and come back with a report.

that also goes to anyoe making this argument... cuz I used to think the same thing till i used 1.
Its not arguments, its how the part works... science. I'm not making shit up here.

If you thought the same thing, you wouldn't have gone out and spent $300 on a box of resistors that can do the same thing as an extra thick insole in your shoe could...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits135i View Post
You just awnser how this whole thing works right there and you cannot see it? Thats because you don't have to push down as far to get that power. Why pay 300$ to do the same thing as push the pedal down further. Its a trick. Your butt thinks its faster and better because with the PB you only push say 10% to get the same result as 25%. How can people be so blind?

These people remind me of the type that are heavily into organized religion. They have "blind faith" in something and chose to keep believing in it even with no real evidence to support their beliefs. Further, amongst their group of believers, it's considered an admirable quality. Having more blind faith is somehow an indication of their loyalty and strength of heart. It disgusts me to no end. I see it as inherent weakness and a lack of critical thinking skills. Tell me you are really into god and all that jazz and I'm pretty much not going to be able to take you seriously, ever... Tell me you think the pedal box does anything more than re-map pedal position and you similarly loose any credibility. Actually, I'll say you are even crazier than that highly religious person because at least they have chosen to believe in something that is impossible to prove or disprove. The pedal box is real tangible hardware. Anyone who has taken an undergraduate circuits class should be able to understand it's mechanism and limitations. To continue to insist it has some magical power reveals a wealth of ignorance and gullibility.

However, if you fall into this group:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
then I respect your opinion and say that's cool, happy motoring. I personally will just continue to use my foot, but if you like it that's fine. In contrary, if you make a post like the OP, you are either a fucking moron or you have something to gain by promoting the product with such disregard for the black and white engineering truth behind the matter. Normally I don't waste so much time of of my own day to reply in such length, but when someone is trying to spread misinformation in the community it really pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Serious question to all PedalBox users: How old are you? Usually this sort of gimmicky stuff only works on kids. It is as others have stated a box of resistors that effectively make lower throttle inputs read as higher throttle inputs. I'm not a programmer, but even I find the programming, and coding used in these things as child's play.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #35
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

These people remind me of the type that are heavily into organized religion. They have "blind faith" in something and chose to keep believing in it even with no real evidence to support their beliefs. Further, amongst their group of believers, it's considered an admirable quality. Having more blind faith is somehow an indication of their loyalty and strength of heart. It disgusts me to no end. I see it as inherent weakness and a lack of critical thinking skills. Tell me you are really into god and all that jazz and I'm pretty much not going to be able to take you seriously, ever... Tell me you think the pedal box does anything more than re-map pedal position and you similarly loose any credibility. Actually, I'll say you are even crazier than that highly religious person because at least they have chosen to believe in something that is impossible to prove or disprove. The pedal box is real tangible hardware. Anyone who has taken an undergraduate circuits class should be able to understand it's mechanism and limitations. To continue to insist it has some magical power reveals a wealth of ignorance and gullibility.

Agree - good post.
      06-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #36
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Its not arguments, its how the part works... science. I'm not making shit up here.

If you thought the same thing, you wouldn't have gone out and spent $300 on a box of resistors that can do the same thing as an extra thick insole in your shoe could...
i didn't spend 300... and as i thought you can't try it before you comment on it... like i said give one a go then come and give us your comments...

very funny people on this forum.. and you alll think pedal box users are dumb hahaha, big know it all experts that comment on knowing things they have never used.

Last edited by BMJ; 06-22-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #37
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
very funny people on this forum.. and you alll think pedal box users are dumb hahaha, big know it all experts that comment on knowing things they have never used.
I've got these magic pills dude, they make your manhood bigger, let you hold your breath for 10 minutes, and run 4 minute miles with no training. Only $250 per bottle of 10! Order now!

How would you know they don't work if you haven't used them?

Reality is calling, and no one is picking up.

Last edited by Freon; 06-22-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #38
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've got these magic pills dude, they make your manhood bigger, let you hold your breath for 10 minutes, and run 4 minute miles with no training. Only $250 per bottle of 10! Order now!

How would you know they don't work if you haven't used them?

Reality is calling, and no one is picking up.
you're a wanker... i have a tune i have an IC i have a PE... i used a pedal box so I can comment on it unlike you know it all wanker experts that just flap your mouths to feel like big men.. like said... any of you experts use one then come and say it shiit and no use.. if that the case cool but if you dont even use one and say it has no effect then WTF are you trying to prove?

that u know it all? I dont use the pedal box anymore cuz with a tune and other mods i have it makes the throttle to punchy...so like i said try it and report back or SHUT THE F^%K up!

not going to waste anymore time with you experts that know it all.. cuz i am just so small compared to your master know-all regarding mods...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #39
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
you're a wanker... i have a tune i have an IC i have a PE... i used a pedal box so I can comment on it unlike you know it all wanker experts that just flap your mouths to feel like big men..

not going to waste anymore time with you experts that know it all.. cuz i am just so small compared to your master know-all regarding mods...
Like I said earlier, I adjusted the settings in my PCM to do the same thing as the pedalbox, I know exactly how it works and what it does. If you like the product, thats great, but it just doesn't do what you pedalbox lovers think it does. I'm sorry.

And that's master electrical automotive engineer know all thank you...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #40
dsh135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:

Quote:
WTF is going on in this thread??!

What I started as a post about a mod I thought was pretty good because of the very noticeable difference it makes to the driving experience got techno-geeked down into a debate about what the device is technically doing and not doing and has now entered the realm of religion and mental disorder(?). I'm not the fanatic guys, re-read the attacking tone of your own posts.

Saying that it makes the car rev faster seems to have poured sand into a lot of panties here so let me restate my observation in terminology that is a little more ambiguous: it makes the car more responsive. Now, if you still have problems with that then you 'll just have to post a dozen more graphs and six more pages of posts questioning my vocation, age, affiliaton with Pedal Box, religion, and sanity.

Quote:
i didn't spend 300... and as i thought you can't try it before you comment on it... like i said give one a go then come and give us your comments...

Give it up BMJ, it's not worth the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #41
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh135 View Post
let me restate my observation in terminology that is a little more ambiguous: it makes the car more responsive.
That's fine. If that's all you had said, none of the rest would have happened. It was when you went on and on and on with all this nonsense about all the things it did, which it didn't actually do, and wrote a giant sales pitch that it became an issue.

Quote:
you can't try it before you comment on it
I assume you mean can't comment on it until you try it? Still, do you understand logical fallacies at all? Know what a red herring is? If you understand how the pedalbox works, and most of us do, you can indeed comment on it. See the example about stickers adding horsepower or the manhood pills. By your logic, if you haven't tried them then they must work!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #42
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's fine. If that's all you had said, none of the rest would have happened. It was when you went on and on and on with all this nonsense about all the things it did, which it didn't actually do, and wrote a giant sales pitch that it became an issue.

I assume you mean can't comment on it until you try it? Still, do you understand logical fallacies at all? Know what a red herring is? If you understand how the pedalbox works, and most of us do, you can indeed comment on it. See the example about stickers adding horsepower or the manhood pills. By your logic, if you haven't tried them then they must work!
you're another MUPPET with your head up your ass
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #43
BruceWarne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
To follow up on myself, looking at the rest of this post history it is more of the same. Not surprised.

dsh135, do you have a financial interested with the company that makes the Pedalbox? Do you have friends or family that works there? Why are 100% of your posts just pushing the product? Why do you make such blatantly false claims about what the product does?
I read the 1st paragraph of the OP's post - and it reads like an infomercial. Obviously I think this is a PB initiated post. Read it again and imagine you're watching an infomercial. It's so blatantly obvious - no real posts read like that one.

No matter what they tell you, you won't be faster on a drag strip. With a 300+ hp turbo you definitely won't be faster on a road track - anyone who's ever driven balls to the wall will know that.

Thanks PB. I don't care if your box works or not - I think you're blatantly trying to manipulate us.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #44
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Like I said earlier, I adjusted the settings in my PCM to do the same thing as the pedalbox, I know exactly how it works and what it does. If you like the product, thats great, but it just doesn't do what you pedalbox lovers think it does. I'm sorry.

And that's master electrical automotive engineer know all thank you...
i accept your response Sto, as you have given some meat to your argument... I agree with you 100% they are over priced and not worth 300, but they work, that's my point (not their value)

I want to get something straight here. I was one of the disbelievers in these throttle amps. I used to tell people put your foot down faster. So i bought one and tried it. This is why i supporting the effect the product delivers. I am not a fan boi I am not pushing them, hell I don't even use one any more, but if some one comes on and tells me i imagined it and I am lying well F%^K U try it and then call me a lair.

but to all the follower wankers that haven't used one and come and chime in with posts arguing they don't work, you deify logic in actually being able to afford a BMW (IQ reasons) (unless your trust fund bunny).

Peace out I'm done
Appreciate 0