BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Recommended ignition coil for N55 135i.

I did a search and can't seem to find the thread discussing which brand of coils to get. Don't remember if the Bosch coils are preferred or the Delphi.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Old ones were made by delphi with the metal outside sleeve (did show some corrosion, I can send you pictures later if you want).

Used Delphi again and seems to be working well enough. No codes but I feel a bit of a harsher idle. Will be removing spark plugs soon and checking gaps. (I used BMW/Bosch plugs but i've seen threads saying they're not always gapped perfectly out of the box)
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      05-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

For the N55, DELPHI coil packs(BMW p/n 12138616153) are what BMW says to use.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1417

I would use BMW/Bosch plugs... BOSCH ZR5TPP33S, (BMW p/n 12120037582)... don't use aftermarket plugs. Use BMW dealer bought plugs.

I would not use any goop on top of the spark plugs. Often times people use some electrolyte grease on the top of the spark plug/coil. Sometimes people put on too much grease, and the grease can push off the coil from the plug - after a while. So I would not use any grease at all.

Same thing for using anti seize on the spark plug threads. Just skip it.

I don't think there is ANY benefit to using aftermarket coil pack.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      05-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Dackel
Whoa there Dack: http://www.precisionraceworks.com/in...&product_id=89

Although I'm sure you weren't thinking about this when you said "coil pack"
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
For the N55, DELPHI coil packs(BMW p/n 12138616153) are what BMW says to use.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_1417

I would use BMW/Bosch plugs... BOSCH ZR5TPP33S, (BMW p/n 12120037582)... don't use aftermarket plugs. Use BMW dealer bought plugs.

I would not use any goop on top of the spark plugs. Often times people use some electrolyte grease on the top of the spark plug/coil. Sometimes people put on too much grease, and the grease can push off the coil from the plug - after a while. So I would not use any grease at all.

Same thing for using anti seize on the spark plug threads. Just skip it.

Dackel
So is there a difference in reliability? I seem to recall what I thought are the Delphi's being less reliable.

On the plugs, I'm good there. I still have some remaining mileage/time on the factory extended maintenance plan. So the dealer is going to do the plugs. I just want to get the coils changed to head off any looming issues. I'm at 90k miles right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Seems they've been reliable up to now for you at 90k miles so not too bad.

I'm close to 95k miles now as well and didn't have any problems with the old ones, just figured it might have been a good time to change them since I was doing my spark plugs anyways.

I think the N54 peoples were having a debate on the Delphi vs the Bosch since the Bosch with the plastic outers were OE spec on that engine (don't remember if all years or just some) and people were debating about the difference on the Metal vs plastic outer and their effect on performance (absorbing more heat mostly).
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
Dackelone10527.50
      05-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
So is there a difference in reliability? I seem to recall what I thought are the Delphi's being less reliable.
BMW only offers Delphi coils for a N55. So I'd say they are pretty good. I seem to remember that there was another brand of coil for the N55... but no more. Besides... from what I remember... the Delphi coils are good from what I remember.

For the N54 BMW specs either a Delphi or Eldor coils.

When BMW built the S55 for the M3/M4... those cars only get Delphi coils. So that's telling.

Quote:
On the plugs, I'm good there. I still have some remaining mileage/time on the factory extended maintenance plan. So the dealer is going to do the plugs. I just want to get the coils changed to head off any looming issues. I'm at 90k miles right now.

IF you are gonna pay someone to replace your spark plugs... why not just give them some coils to swap in there at that time? Surely there is not any more labor involved when paying a shop to replace your spark plugs.

One of the more common issues when changing spark plugs & coil packs... is when you put things back together... be very careful that the coil pack connectors go back in correctly.

Dack
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      05-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
BMW only offers Delphi coils for a N55. So I'd say they are pretty good. I seem to remember that there was another brand of coil for the N55... but no more. Besides... from what I remember... the Delphi coils are good from what I remember.

For the N54 BMW specs either a Delphi or Eldor coils.

When BMW built the S55 for the M3/M4... those cars only get Delphi coils. So that's telling.

IF you are gonna pay someone to replace your spark plugs... why not just give them some coils to swap in there at that time? Surely there is not any more labor involved when paying a shop to replace your spark plugs.

One of the more common issues when changing spark plugs & coil packs... is when you put things back together... be very careful that the coil pack connectors go back in correctly.

Dack
I'm seeing Bosch and Delphi as options for my car on FCP Euro. So if the consensus is the Delphi coils are fine, I'll go with them. They're a bit more expensive than the Bosch coils.

I guess you can say I technically paid for someone to replace the plugs. Not sure if the dealer will be good with me bringing outside parts for them to install. I'll have to see. But I'm not opposed to doing this project myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Ask the dealer to price match you on the coils? Some will but most will not. But then they won't have the "outside parts" excuse.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      05-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

I use Delphi colis and bmw plugs in my n55 on e30 for many miles now and not a single problems. The plugs only lasted about 8k miles but they were flawless
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Whoa there Dack: http://www.precisionraceworks.com/in...&product_id=89

Although I'm sure you weren't thinking about this when you said "coil pack"
Actually I was. I wouldn't put that "junk" on my car.

I was also thinking about those red coils that BavTech sold. Also junk IMHO.

Dack
Appreciate 0