BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Teaser on my corner reflector solution

These are coming in the mail, will have them by end of week and will take pics once on my car.

I have contracted a professional/designer to construct these for me, simply didn't like what was out there in the aftermarket. Will post some pics once I have them on, should fit the color (SGM) and contours nicely. I may have a few extra as I had to order a minimum number (as you can imagine, the initial setup cost is fairly hefty but not disclosing as most folks may think I am nuts for something like this, but that simply goes to show you hom much I HATE the big a$$ reflector ).

Here is what they look like now, and also a similar design that was applied on an M6:
Attached Images

1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Interesting. I think that looks tacky/cheap on the M6 and the reflector really isn't that bad in my opinion. I don't see how a fake silver sticker is better than a reflector.
      05-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
Interesting. I think that looks tacky/cheap on the M6 and the reflector really isn't that bad in my opinion. I don't see how a fake silver sticker is better than a reflector.
Yeah, I know, it's a subjective thing. I just think the huge orange reflector which occupies nearly 1/3 of the headlight assembly makes the car look even more fish-eyed than it already does!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Have you considered the Vitex Ambergones? I think the smoked ones look decent.

Also, OSS Designs has a much cleaner amber delete/blackout solution from the inside, but it is quite costly, requires removing, shipping, and not having your headlights for a little while, but is still much cheaper than swapping to euro headlights. It's been done only for the 3 series, but hopefully it'll be an option for the 1 series as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Have you considered the Vitex Ambergones? I think the smoked ones look decent.

Also, OSS Designs has a much cleaner amber delete/blackout solution from the inside, but it is quite costly, requires removing, shipping, and not having your headlights for a little while, but is still much cheaper than swapping to euro headlights. It's been done only for the 3 series, but hopefully it'll be an option for the 1 series as well.
Thx for the tip, B-. I hadn't looked at the Vitex, but seeing this, I think it is way overboard. You can see the thickness of the film, and stilll see the orange below it. That to me is a home solution. Still don't know how mine will turn out, but I certainly hope better than this Vitex: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139623

I think **********s was selling a 'patch', but the smoked one I want is $59 (and every other color half that). And I saw it in person and was not impressed. The ones I will have are based on a high quality vinyl and UV resistant high quality (read really expensive) ink. Will I like it? I'll know on Wed.

I just hate amber, ended up buying the European headlight and tail lights for my E39 M5 (and am de-ambering my Audi shortly), but in this case the Euro 1-series ones don't justify the cost IMO.

BTW, while I am at it, I want to replace my front turn bulbs. Are they easy to reach (seems really crammed at first glance), and also, what are people using ? I don't mind if i blinks amber, just don't like the yolk look of the bulb when it is unlit. Something like this I suppose:

http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...ALTHBULBS.aspx
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Do you think you'll be done by Sunday? Love to see how this turns out

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 04:19 AM   #7
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
///M1, yea the smoked ones are indeed overpriced. I have them on as a temporary thing until a better solution comes out (like the OSS one). It looks okay if applied correctly--I should have a couple of pics with them on in my garage profile. Anyway, in case you're interested, below are some pics of OSS' work on the amber in the 3 series headlight. It's technically off-topic so please let me know if you would like to remove this from your thread.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
These are coming in the mail, will have them by end of week and will take pics once on my car.

I have contracted a professional/designer to construct these for me, simply didn't like what was out there in the aftermarket. Will post some pics once I have them on, should fit the color (SGM) and contours nicely. I may have a few extra as I had to order a minimum number (as you can imagine, the initial setup cost is fairly hefty but not disclosing as most folks may think I am nuts for something like this, but that simply goes to show you hom much I HATE the big a$$ reflector ).

Here is what they look like now, and also a similar design that was applied on an M6:
If you are selling the extra sets I'd be interested in one. I too absolutely hate the amber and bought the black Vitex. Did the job but since my car is Jet Black I lose the definition and shape of that portion of the headlight assembly since it now blends into the body of the car leaving the headlights too stubby looking. Yours would do the same job but hightlight that same area giving it back to the headlight shape and thus preserving the proportions.

Thanks

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Do you think you'll be done by Sunday? Love to see how this turns out
Yup, that is the intent Hence why the studio is rushing the 'prototype' to me today. I say prototype, because they can adjust the remaining 4 based on the feedback I give them (in terms of fit and coverage area).

It was a fairly intensive process. I had to:

1.) Outline the outer perimeter of the amber with masking tape. This was tricky, as the tape is a straight line and the reflector has a lot of curves. Also, need to be super careful when cutting the masking tape along the proper contours with a blade knife so not to damage the plastic lense cover.

2.) Lay a sheet of paper over the masked off area and secure it so it does not move with the masking tape.

3.) Use the crayola crayon color and lay it on it's side, and shade on the sheet of paper, over the masking tape so the outline will show through the sheet of paper.

4.) Send them the colored sheets and have them begin the design process. I also was able to peel off the blue masking tape in one piece, so sent that along as well.

Being as anal as I am, it took me a lot of time as I wanted to get all the contours right (as you can imagine getting the elipse right was the PITA). Also, it didn't involve just covering the amber area, I wanted to make sure that as you looked at the car from different angles and in front, you still don't see the amber reflection (basically we had to extend the front quarter-circle/elipse about 1-2cm longer than the actual reflector to make sure it is not seen when looked under a frontl 45-degree angle).

As I mentioned, pretty extensive setup time/costs, then marginal cost is fairly low once we get it right it is just a matter of running it through the presses.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
If you are selling the extra sets I'd be interested in one. I too absolutely hate the amber and bought the black Vitex. Did the job but since my car is Jet Black I lose the definition and shape of that portion of the headlight assembly since it now blends into the body of the car leaving the headlights too stubby looking. Yours would do the same job but hightlight that same area giving it back to the headlight shape and thus preserving the proportions.

Thanks
Sure thing, firstly let me make sure I am happy with it, will post pics, if you are happy with the look, PM me.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
///M1, yea the smoked ones are indeed overpriced. I have them on as a temporary thing until a better solution comes out (like the OSS one). It looks okay if applied correctly--I should have a couple of pics with them on in my garage profile. Anyway, in case you're interested, below are some pics of OSS' work on the amber in the 3 series headlight. It's technically off-topic so please let me know if you would like to remove this from your thread.
Not at all off-topic, B-, definitely interested to see what other options/applications are out there. But this one seems it involved disassemby of the headlights, than heating/baking them to soften the glue and release the plastic housing? Something I did on my E39 when I installed CCFL angel eyes, not the most of fun
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Not at all off-topic, B-, definitely interested to see what other options/applications are out there. But this one seems it involved disassemby of the headlights, than heating/baking them to soften the glue and release the plastic housing? Something I did on my E39 when I installed CCFL angel eyes, not the most of fun
Fortunately, it's not a DIY; it's done by a pro's pro. No need to sweat through this ordeal and get your hands dirty!

Unfortunately, you have to remove and ship your headlights. Turnaround time is a week or so.

Pricing should be around a few hundred dollars. I'll be the first to do this once this is offered for the 1 series, so you can expect plenty of pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

looks awesome on the m6, was hoping you'd have gotten the white one but oh well
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here are some pics of the 'prototype'

I say prototype because it really is a first iteration. The cuts and angles will be adjusted next round to ensure better coverage, and also the color will slightly change (to darker and less of that greenish hue).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

looks good. But I agree that darker is a must.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
looks good. But I agree that darker is a must.
Thx, and yes, we will adjust the colors. It's tough to convey to a design house a few thousand miles away what Sparkling Graphite Metallic looks like! LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Looks pretty clean, I am impressed with the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #18
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Looks pretty clean, I am impressed with the outcome.
Thx, it should only get better. Considering this was the prototype and the shop was working off my very unprofessional cutout, the first round came out pretty well. The second (and probably final) iteration ought to do the trick fully. Will post pics when I get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thx, it should only get better. Considering this was the prototype and the shop was working off my very unprofessional cutout, the first round came out pretty well. The second (and probably final) iteration ought to do the trick fully. Will post pics when I get it.
I like it. I'm still in for buying proto's, samples, or whatever when you are ready.....

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

I hate the orange too! I'm redoing mine with the smoked vinyl from Andy at bluebatmobile. He sent me really bad cuts the first time but without too much complaining
He sent me another set and so far they look great but havnt installed them yet. I want to know of a solution that can make them stick better as the headlight covers ripped off after fast driving in the rain. I will post pics during the process. And might try dawn soap on the tails to remove any wax that's on there. I like design but they have to darker

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is an update as I have the final stickers (prior were prototype). Since then I've installed: 1) call it Audi S6-style LED strips, 2) Alpine HID 8K AEs, and, 3) replaced the corner bulbs with the Phillips Chrome (still amber but only when flashing). So my front conversion is done ;-o) Some pics in B/W and Sepia for fun.

BTW, I have a few extra sets of the stickers, so if anyone is interested in buying a pair let me know. I had a design shop fabricate them, took well over 2 months considering I was giving them feedback after several prototypes, so ended up being a costly mod, but I don't regret it as there was nothing else out there I liked (didn't care for the smoked amber-gones, which still sell for $60!)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Hopefully you can make it to the next meet and I can see the setup in person. Pics look good.
Appreciate 0