BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

High foaming car wash soap for use with a foam gun?

I recently picked up a gilmour 95QGFMR foam gun and tried it out for the first time today. It's not a pressure washer foam gun so I am wondering if that's part of my problem.

What I found was that the foam was quite watery even on the most concentrated setting and didn't really cling to the car for very long.

This video I found has a little more foam than I did (still not much though) but the foam seems to cling longer.

I tried two car wash soaps: griot's garage, autoint ph neutral surface conditioner. Neither made much foam and it blew through soap incredibly quickly (which I guess is to be expected).

Can anyone recommend a good high foam car wash soap? I've seen videos of people using the pressure washer foam guns and it literally cakes the car in a thick layer of foam that stays there. I'd like to get as close to this as I can without having to get a pressure washer.

thanks a ton for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
You're not going to get anywhere close to the type of foam you get with a pressure washer. I've got one of the Gilmour Foammaster II gun and it's ok... I recommend Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II soap for alot of foam.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

With a foam gun just use a richer concentration of shampoo. I use it on setting E and put about 4 - 6+ ounces of shampoo in the reservoir and maybe 6+ ounces of water. This will create a good lather, do small sections at a time so you don't waste too much shampoo. I use the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II a lot myself but I'm really excited to introduce the Chemical Guys HoneyDew Snow Foam which should be in stock in about 3 weeks.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Thanks guys, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong - I filled the reservoir about 3/4 full with just soap, didn't dilute it as I figured the gun would do that.

I'll give the honeydew snow foam a try when it's available, thanks for the heads-up.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I really like Meguiars Deep CrystalŽ Car Wash soap.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...o?q=MEG+G10464
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
With a foam gun just use a richer concentration of shampoo. I use it on setting E and put about 4 - 6+ ounces of shampoo in the reservoir and maybe 6+ ounces of water. This will create a good lather, do small sections at a time so you don't waste too much shampoo. I use the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II a lot myself but I'm really excited to introduce the Chemical Guys HoneyDew Snow Foam which should be in stock in about 3 weeks.

Greg @ DI
I'll have to try out the honeydew snow foam, gotta love CG products... don't you think that 6oz soap is a bit much though? Especially when using the CG products which require a capful per gallon? As pricey as their products are, I would hate to use so much soap just on a foaming step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
Thanks guys, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong - I filled the reservoir about 3/4 full with just soap, didn't dilute it as I figured the gun would do that.

I'll give the honeydew snow foam a try when it's available, thanks for the heads-up.
That seems like a shit ton of soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I really like Meguiars Deep CrystalŽ Car Wash soap.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...o?q=MEG+G10464
I haven't used that product in years, but I am fond of the Meguiars gold class car wash... you can also pick up the bigger 64oz bottles at Wally world for pretty cheap, which makes it a great soap for something like foaming the car, especially if you're going to dump 6oz of product into the gun each time.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Tweeked SRT4
Resident SRT4 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Dodge SRT4

I have the AutoGeek.net Foam Gun and so far the best soap I've used was Jax Wax Super Suds. I got a gallon of it for only $10.99.

http://store.jaxwax.com/Jax-Wax-Supe...-Soap-p/ss.htm
2013 Subaru STI Sedan in WR Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post

I've used just soap before on setting E and it worked just fine, you may need to make sure you have enough pressure to create the suds.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
I'll have to try out the honeydew snow foam, gotta love CG products... don't you think that 6oz soap is a bit much though? Especially when using the CG products which require a capful per gallon? As pricey as their products are, I would hate to use so much soap just on a foaming step.
I was definitely running it on the "rich" and very sudsy side. You can get away with MUCH less it may just have less suds or lather. There certainly is no one right answer and I always recommend detailers experiment with different ratios to see what works best for them!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I use the high pressure valve with the foam master gun (I bought my foam gun off Amazon.com and the additional valve was advertised with it). I also use Maxisuds carwash adding enough to fill the bottom of the canister. I fill the rest of the canister with water and shake it hard. I get a really, really nice foam covering. I will try the honeydew snow foam though, sounds like it would smell great.
      11-15-2015, 06:39 AM   #11
benzw205
Rep
Drives: Benz C-class W205

Which soap to use without pressure water ?

Hello,

I saw a video on youtube of someome using a manual spray to foam the car, do you think it can be any good ?

And which soap to use ?

Thank you <3
Appreciate 0