BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Coolant Surprise

So this year i decided to be nice to my car and all of its new parts, and put it away for winter. So far been an awful idea as right before it appears my valve cover gasket went. Now fast forward sitting around a month, i went to go check on her, and finish putting her away (pulling battery and such) and i was greeted by all of the coolant now under the car. Im not sure what could have happened while just sitting there, but my reservoir appears to be completely empty.

I haven't had time yet to test anything or really take a good luck but any guesses? I couldn't tell you which part of the engine bay its leaking from either, as its under the entire front end.

Lastly, if it matters BMW replaced the water pump and thermostat about a year ago, so i hope thats not a leading cause.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Well you have to get it fixed eventually and I think a BMW dealer warranties their parts and labour for 2 years so suggest you contact them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
So this year i decided to be nice to my car and all of its new parts, and put it away for winter. So far been an awful idea as right before it appears my valve cover gasket went. Now fast forward sitting around a month, i went to go check on her, and finish putting her away (pulling battery and such) and i was greeted by all of the coolant now under the car. Im not sure what could have happened while just sitting there, but my reservoir appears to be completely empty.

I haven't had time yet to test anything or really take a good luck but any guesses? I couldn't tell you which part of the engine bay its leaking from either, as its under the entire front end.

Lastly, if it matters BMW replaced the water pump and thermostat about a year ago, so i hope thats not a leading cause.
Definitely go after BMW for partial coverage at least, it sounds to me like a hose let go or a bad clamp popped. Either way that points the finger to recent work done, if there was a bad hose they would've seen it and told you, if they did shoddy work/didn't tighten clamp properly, then it's back on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:

Did the car freeze?like it dropped below the temp rating in your coolant?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:

Did the car freeze?like it dropped below the temp rating in your coolant?
No, it was on the same coolant as last winter, and hasn't gotten anywhere near as cold. And the coolant was a liquid on the ground.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Hopefully the Dealer will make it right. Regarding pulling the battery, have you done this before? I have heard of modern BMW's with all their electronics reacting badly to this giving all sorts of problems on restart. If your storage conditions allow, a smart charger left connected all winter would be the better choice. I use the one from BMW but Deltran and others make good ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #7
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Hopefully the Dealer will make it right. Regarding pulling the battery, have you done this before? I have heard of modern BMW's with all their electronics reacting badly to this giving all sorts of problems on restart. If your storage conditions allow, a smart charger left connected all winter would be the better choice. I use the one from BMW but Deltran and others make good ones.
I have not yet pulled the battery and have decided to just use my BMW trickle charger outside, and run an extension cord to the tent instead. I added some coolant last week and put about 1L in and only had 2 drops come out that day so i know it's a rather slow leak. I wont really know the cause till summer when i can lift it up in my garage.
Appreciate 1
Olgeezer1173.00
      12-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Small update: went on vacation, checked the coolant after 2 weeks and its still pretty much full. Dripped a bit but not emptied the system like before.
Appreciate 0