BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED

2012 N55 Electronic issues after driving in hard rain..Please help!!!

Hello everyone,

So I just started experiencing some issues this weekend after driving my car through some recent rare rainy weather in Socal and starting experiencing some weird issues with my ABS and basically all my lights (run lamps, turn signal, hazard, dome lights etc. This is all started when I first started losing my ABS and brakes were locking up, no lights or any warnings yet. Then the very next day while driving in the freeway all my warning lights came on and a I got a message about driver assist malfunction or something close to that telling me to stop driving the car and take to the dealer immediately. But the car itself was running perfectly normal aside from all the warnings and lights and did not feel at all like it was in limp mode. I get home and do not drive again until the very next morning. So this morning I start the car and everything is back normal again with no warnings, no ABS light all the same as before all the issues started. I get to work and Park thinking maybe the problem fixed itself until I take my car to go get gas on my lunch break and now the Red brake light warning stays on with hand brake released of course along with the ABS light and traction warning light and maintenance required light. I tried to check system controls on Idrive to see what warning or malfunction is going on but the screen is blank. The Cars seems to run fine and does not feel like its in limp mode but my headlights, turn signals, hazard lights and check control systems all do not work. While the car is running, My interior dome lights now stay on even with all the doors completely closed and when I lock and unlock the car I also noticed the beeping noise to let you know your locked/unlocked stopped as well. I'm not sure if any of these problems are related but I'm pretty dumfounded at this point and just hoping anyone might have experienced these symptoms or issues in the past. I have the Carly APP and will run later when I get home but need to update my software but just hoping I could get any input based on these symptoms. Please help!

Thank you
      01-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Sounds like the Footwell module got wet, and probably because of clogged sunroof drains. It controls things like lights, mirrors, and windows.
      01-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Sounds like kinda random stuff, lights are an unrelated system to ABS, other than being on the same side of the car, but the iDrive stuff is in the rear.

So I'm going with, battery failing. May get lucky and just need a good charge. But I'd say new is a fair bet.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
The footwell module = FRM. There was a recall or partial recall on it recently on some models. Could be that, or possibly a bad IBS or low battery? Just guessing here. Pull the codes with Carly & see what comes up.
      01-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Sounds like the Footwell module got wet, and probably because of clogged sunroof drains. It controls things like lights, mirrors, and windows.
If that module is damaged from the rain, would that cause the electrical system malfunction message? I'm assuming yes and that is the message that is staying on now. My lights and everything else working fine now but ABS, traction light and red brake light remain on.
      01-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Sounds like kinda random stuff, lights are an unrelated system to ABS, other than being on the same side of the car, but the iDrive stuff is in the rear.

So I'm going with, battery failing. May get lucky and just need a good charge. But I'd say new is a fair bet.
My battery is new replaced 3 months ago and now my lights work fine with no issues.
      01-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Sounds like the tire pressure module or “RDC” under the car got wet. It’s pretty common for water to get in and short out the CAN bus. First thing I would do is unplug it and see if it happens again.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Sounds like the tire pressure module or “RDC” under the car got wet. It’s pretty common for water to get in and short out the CAN bus. First thing I would do is unplug it and see if it happens again.
Is it possible for this Module to fail intermittently? I ask this because my car was again back to normal this morning on my way to work, No lights, warnings and my check control system says everything is "A" okay now. Not sure how long this will last but I will definitely try unplugging this just to see If I notice the same systems from when it was failing. Very bizarre issue but I guess its not that uncommon for our cars.
      01-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #9
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Yes it can fail intermittently. If someone were to scan the car there are probably some K-CAN faults present in the system, and if you unplug the RDC module they should go away.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Yes it can fail intermittently. If someone were to scan the car there are probably some K-CAN faults present in the system, and if you unplug the RDC module they should go away.
Got it, I really appreciate this info. This will be the next test I do once I search where the module is located.
      01-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Your symptoms are very similar to mine including the iDrive screen going blank with the addition of my entire gauge cluster going dead. The car still drove fine when all of this was happening. And after what seemed to be an eternity, everything came back as normal.

My issue was the junction box in the trunk was under water. What ever it is, there is a high probability something is under water.

My BMW tech friend said it's more common than you think with regards to modules shorting out due to water collecting in the various wells in the trunk. He said he usually drills a hole in the trunk floor after replacing the module to minimize the risk of it happening again.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #12
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Your symptoms are very similar to mine including the iDrive screen going blank with the addition of my entire gauge cluster going dead. The car still drove fine when all of this was happening. And after what seemed to be an eternity, everything came back as normal.

My issue was the junction box in the trunk was under water. What ever it is, there is a high probability something is under water.

My BMW tech friend said it's more common than you think with regards to modules shorting out due to water collecting in the various wells in the trunk. He said he usually drills a hole in the trunk floor after replacing the module to minimize the risk of it happening again.
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping this module is not going to cost me an arm and a leg but hopefully one of the modules mentioned will fix my problem. I'll post an update once this is resolved.
      01-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #13
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Okay so I went out to my car on my lunch break to see if the warning lights came back but everything still normal again except now I got a battery discharging when the car is parked message. My question now is would these malfunctioning modules cause a drain to my battery while the car is off? or could this possibly be a new issue I'm running into with something draining the battery while the car is parked?
      01-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

So just to update on my issue, its been about 3 days now and it looks like whatever module that was malfunctioning somehow fixed itself, or I'm assuming maybe whatever water or moisture that was causing this has gone away because now its like nothing ever happened. I'm still going to check out the modules everyone pointed out and unplug them to see if I get a similar reaction and just so I know where they are at next time this happens.

ZX10GUY, Just curious do you happen to have any pics of where to drill in the trunk floor? I want to do this as well and hopefully will prevent this in the future. Also have you seen the issue come back at all since it went away for you? or did you end up replacing the module?
      01-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #15
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

This thread may help you regarding water in the trunk and how to stop it. I've personally had issues with my RDC and PGS modules.

water in boot https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728301
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
So just to update on my issue, its been about 3 days now and it looks like whatever module that was malfunctioning somehow fixed itself, or I'm assuming maybe whatever water or moisture that was causing this has gone away because now its like nothing ever happened. I'm still going to check out the modules everyone pointed out and unplug them to see if I get a similar reaction and just so I know where they are at next time this happens.

ZX10GUY, Just curious do you happen to have any pics of where to drill in the trunk floor? I want to do this as well and hopefully will prevent this in the future. Also have you seen the issue come back at all since it went away for you? or did you end up replacing the module?
I have to ask my BMW dealer tech buddy about this. He was the one that told me drilling a hole in the trunk floor is what he does when he gets a repair job dealing with water in the trunk.

My issue has not come back since when everything went hay wire. Yes, the junction box was replaced by the dealer. I suspect the cause was the dealer's body shop. I had the car at the dealer body shop to paint my rear bumper after a minor mishap. The dealer couldn't figure out where the water came from to saturate the junction box. So they just warranteed the repair and was going to figure out if the charges would be submitted to BMW for reimbursement or the body shop would have to pick up the tab.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post

I have to ask my BMW dealer tech buddy about this. He was the one that told me drilling a hole in the trunk floor is what he does when he gets a repair job dealing with water in the trunk.

My issue has not come back since when everything went hay wire. Yes, the junction box was replaced by the dealer. I suspect the cause was the dealer's body shop. I had the car at the dealer body shop to paint my rear bumper after a minor mishap. The dealer couldn't figure out where the water came from to saturate the junction box. So they just warranteed the repair and was going to figure out if the charges would be submitted to BMW for reimbursement or the body shop would have to pick up the tab.
Had the same happen to my car. At body shop for rear 1/4, bumper paint. Requires removal of tail lights. Must have been outside without the tail lights installed. Water got in and fried my comfort access module.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #18
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

The tail light gaskets are really finicky. They are supposed to be replaced every time they are removed. Good news is you can DIY very easily.
Appreciate 0