BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Anyone tried this combo yet?

So I have some Apex Arc-8 wheels in a square 18" setup coming in the next few weeks. I've done coil-overs plenty of times with my other cars, but looking at something simple.

I was looking over a few options and seen a Vogtland Sport Suspension Kit with springs and matched struts that would also give me the slight drop I think I may want even after the 18" wheels go on. It's supposed to be around 1" drop on the back.... and 1.5" drop up front. I'm not looking to slam the car, just wanting to fill in the fender gap a little while also getting a better handling ride.

Car is a 2011 128i with the M Sport suspension. Subframe bushings are a given and I plan on those as well.....but was wondering if anyone had tried out the brand listed above....and if so what your general impressions are/were.

Thanks!
      01-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

I've used a Vogtland "junior" cup kit (shocks + springs) on an older audi a4. They were "ok", but I did blow two rear shocks in the first 2 years. They had a three year warranty so that helped, but the labour to swap the shocks and alignments were annoying.

They are owned by KW if I'm not mistaken, but you do get what you pay for. If the car is a daily driver and you'll put miles on it, I expect you'll wear out the shocks pretty fast. Lastly - I personally don't like the raked look where the front is a bit lower than the rear.

My recommendation would be to pick a spring kit (BMW performance, eibach, Swift etc) and pair with either Koni or Bilsteins.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply. Seeing them pre-assembled appealed to me for some reason although I do have a spring compressor tool.

I will look into what you suggest. I currently like the stance, just wanted a little bit of lowering while keeping that same stock stance, and something that would still be an upgrade to the M Suspension it already has on it.

Car is just a daily driver.
      01-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Thanks for the reply. Seeing them pre-assembled appealed to me for some reason although I do have a spring compressor tool.

I will look into what you suggest. I currently like the stance, just wanted a little bit of lowering while keeping that same stock stance, and something that would still be an upgrade to the M Suspension it already has on it.

Car is just a daily driver.
Have a look at the BMW performance springs, they are a 10mm drop from M-sport, and about 25-30% stiffer. That's the mildest drop and upgrade available generally. You can use both Bilstein B8 or Koni Yellow dampers with these to make a kit. Or you could buy BMW performance dampers to complete the kit but it's quite expensive and may not be readily available anymore.

Next on the list is Eibach pro-kit (street), which is maybe a few more mm (15mm lower than m-sport). This is what I have as part of the Bilstein B12 kit (Bilstein B8 sport dampers with Eibach pro-kit). I added Dinan camber plates up front which raise the front by 5mm, but that leaves the car very even front to back.

I believe Koni has a package kit also with their Yellow sport shocks.

Lower still is probably Swift Spec R, not much lower, but probably a tad lower than the Eibachs (few mm). Many people here have used them with both Bilsteins as well as Konis and they like the results.
Appreciate 2
duder13767.00
Rmtt8206.00
      01-28-2019, 02:42 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I appreciate your time!
      01-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Have a look at the BMW performance springs, they are a 10mm drop from M-sport, and about 25-30% stiffer. That's the mildest drop and upgrade available generally. You can use both Bilstein B8 or Koni Yellow dampers with these to make a kit. Or you could buy BMW performance dampers to complete the kit but it's quite expensive and may not be readily available anymore.

Next on the list is Eibach pro-kit (street), which is maybe a few more mm (15mm lower than m-sport). This is what I have as part of the Bilstein B12 kit (Bilstein B8 sport dampers with Eibach pro-kit). I added Dinan camber plates up front which raise the front by 5mm, but that leaves the car very even front to back.

Lower still is probably Swift Spec R, not much lower, but probably a tad lower than the Eibachs (few mm). Many people here have used them with both Bilsteins as well as Konis and they like the results.
I think this is what I may go with. After doing some reading, it looks like I should have no rubbing issues with the 18x8.5" ET45 with 235/40-18 tires all around. I'm just looking for a small drop and an upgraded feel.

Although Apex has this on their fitment guide statement...I'm not sure if that is entirely true:

Lowering springs (Eibach, H&R, Dinan, etc) and shocks (Bilstein, Koni, etc) do not effect inner clearance.
      01-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post

I think this is what I may go with. After doing some reading, it looks like I should have no rubbing issues with the 18x8.5" ET45 with 235/40-18 tires all around. I'm just looking for a small drop and an upgraded feel.

Although Apex has this on their fitment guide statement...I'm not sure if that is entirely true:

Lowering springs (Eibach, H&R, Dinan, etc) and shocks (Bilstein, Koni, etc) do not effect inner clearance.
I've had the BMW Performance springs and the Bilstein B8 struts and shocks on my car for a few hundred miles now and think it's a great combination.

The Performance springs are the perfect height and stiffness for me. Fills in the wheel well a little more and is not too low that I scrape anything, like speed bumps or driveways.

The Bilsteins work well with the Performance springs. The rebound damping is more composed than the Performance struts and shocks I used to have and the car feels solid and more sporty.

Would definitely recommend this combination.
      01-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I've had the BMW Performance springs and the Bilstein B8 struts and shocks on my car for a few hundred miles now and think it's a great combination.

The Performance springs are the perfect height and stiffness for me. Fills in the wheel well a little more and is not too low that I scrape anything, like speed bumps or driveways.

The Bilsteins work well with the Performance springs. The rebound damping is more composed than the Performance struts and shocks I used to have and the car feels solid and more sporty.

Would definitely recommend this combination.

Sounds like the combo I'm looking for. With you and "asbrr" both recommending it, more than likely it's what I will end up with.