BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #45
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
So if they're not permitting NFC, how does Apple Pay work when a customer taps their iPhone on a pinpad?

Or is that only in Canada. Speaking as a retailer, we accept Apple Pay & Google Pay, both transactions require the iPhone or Android phone to have NFC enabled.

And no, pinpads don't support BT for obvious security reasons.

So NFC for iPhones only works on Canada then?
+ 1, I was thinking the same think. I use my Iphone 6s every day to pay at almost all business and it's using NFC technology like any other wireless payment like Paypass...So basically NFC is not working in the US?
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      11-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #46
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
Quote:
So if they're not permitting NFC, how does Apple Pay work when a customer taps their iPhone on a pinpad?

Or is that only in Canada. Speaking as a retailer, we accept Apple Pay & Google Pay, both transactions require the iPhone or Android phone to have NFC enabled.

+ 1, I was thinking the same think. I use my Iphone 6s every day to pay at almost all business and it's using NFC technology like any other wireless payment like Paypass...So basically NFC is not working in the US?
If US retailers accept Apple Pay, then NFC is enabled on iPhones
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
Roch M4424.00
      11-16-2018, 01:32 AM   #47
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
Quote:

If US retailers accept Apple Pay, then NFC is enabled on iPhones
What you are missing is that yes, NFC is enabled but only for Apple Pay. Apple has coded the limitation into IOS, like they once did with GPS. Eventually a software update will enable it for other use.
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41904.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      11-16-2018, 02:05 AM   #48
Aspe
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

So you need a (Samsung) Android for the digital key but an iPhone for wireless Carplay.

Classic seamless integration...
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      11-16-2018, 02:05 AM   #49
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
About time...carrying around keys should've been obsolete years ago. Once the US can fully adopt mobile (NFC) payments, wallets will be obsolete too.
No thank you, I prefer to use cash for various other reasons...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:17 AM   #50
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes jigga View Post
What happens when your phone battery dies?
Turn around and head to the pub (bar)!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 07:04 AM   #51
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

NFC is much more secure than Bluetooth, that's why they are using it.

Tesla obviously doesn't care about how secure data transfer is, making it much easier to intercept the signal and steal or rob the car.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41904.00
      11-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #52
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel.psd View Post
You drive with a smartphone in your pocket?
Of course? What kind of question is this.

The only reason I take it out right now is because my 335is don't have bluetooth and need AUX. If it had, my phone would always be in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #53
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
What you are missing is that yes, NFC is enabled but only for Apple Pay. Apple has coded the limitation into IOS, like they once did with GPS. Eventually a software update will enable it for other use.
But iPhones use a NFC sim card. Not actual NFC from the device.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #54
dnippard
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
All I can say is it's about time BMW...

Quote:
The BMW Digital Key allows you to turn your smartphone into a car key. With the key, you'll be able to lock and unlock your BMW and even start the engine without needing a physical key. Your digital key will be stored securely in the BMW Connected App. The option 'Digital Key for 5' allows you to share it with up to 5 other people. You will be provided with a key card that has the same functions as the one on your phone.

In this video, we'll show you how to install the Digital Key, how it works, and how to share it with your family and friends.
Apparently only men allowed to recieved digital keys from owners. Interesting touch BMW. (2:55).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #55
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Quote:
About time...carrying around keys should've been obsolete years ago. Once the US can fully adopt mobile (NFC) payments, wallets will be obsolete too.
Like making it rain !!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #56
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

But will BMW charge an annual fee to use this new feature? lol, like Apple CarPlay?
      11-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #57
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
If this will finally provide remote-start functionality, then I'm interested. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what else this provides other than leaving the key at home and hoping to god that my iPhone doesn't break during a trip....
Finally something that starts off Android before Apple. Which makes sense since there's way more Androids in the world than Apple. another thing the Galaxy smartphone does that other ones do not is my phone can simulate and magnetic card swipe. That means my phone can work as a digital credit card on a 30 year-old card machine.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #58
MarcelM1
Private
Rep
Drives: Passat B8

They should give us a bracelet key, like Jaguar.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #59
gabriel.psd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW 6MT

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Of course? What kind of question is this.

The only reason I take it out right now is because my 335is don't have bluetooth and need AUX. If it had, my phone would always be in my pocket.
Your leg movement isn't hindered by it?

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #60
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Your leg movement isn't hindered by it?
Ohh I admit I'm a lefty so it's in my left pocket.

But I do drive clutch, doesn't affect to much. I have a s9+ .
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #61
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
So you provided a link that says Porsche refuses to integrate Android Auto for the same reason BMW says it won't integrate Android Auto, and yet you're applauding Porsche for doing so, while belittling BMW for it for the same reason. That makes no sense. But it's par for the course in these forums.

I guess it's my turn to ask: Wha-whaaaa?
It makes sense because Porsche hasn't tried to pull this kind of cross-platform compatibility crap with its infotainment electronics. If it won't work for most everyone, it doesn't use it ... and because marques owned by the same parent company (VW, Audi) that use the same vehicle OS that Porsche does are much more sensitive to making sure things like this work on any major mobile platform before touting it as a feature to the masses.

If it doesn't work for the vast majority of your customers -- especially if some of those same customers likely chose a BMW partially because it plays well with a specific mobile OS (iOS) those customers prefer -- don't release it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #62
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

So what happens in the lifecycle when smartphone’s size grows too big for the smartphone holder as has happened in F series?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #63
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Quote:
Drugs!
      11-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #64
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
It makes sense because Porsche hasn't tried to pull this kind of cross-platform compatibility crap with its infotainment electronics. If it won't work for most everyone, it doesn't use it ... and because marques owned by the same parent company (VW, Audi) that use the same vehicle OS that Porsche does are much more sensitive to making sure things like this work on any major mobile platform before touting it as a feature to the masses.

If it doesn't work for the vast majority of your customers -- especially if some of those same customers likely chose a BMW partially because it plays well with a specific mobile OS (iOS) those customers prefer -- don't release it.
Respectfully, everything you just repeated for the second time is nonsense.

Android Auto isn't in BMW's because BMW doesn't want to share info with Google over a platform they feel isn't secure. Same as Porsche. You're applauding Porsche and chastising BMW for the exact same thing. That's hypocritical.

The "cross platform compatibility crap" where the Digital Key works with Android and not iPhones is because of Apple, not BMW. BMW would certainly prefer it worked on iPhones, and worked with all Androids, but the cell manufacturers and service providers have to allow the feature in their phone software. Nothing BMW can do about that, except make the cars open with Bluetooth like Tesla, which again isn't a secure way of doing things, and as such, they're not doing it.

It's crazy to me that every time BMW comes out with something, instead of being pleased with what it DOES do, all some of you do is complain about what it DOESN'T do, even if that has nothing whatsoever to do with BMW. You'd rather they just didn't come out with ANYTHING new then? Because that's the alternative.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      11-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #65
Rapcat
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 conv

Quote:
I do sometimes. Especially if I’m in a hurry. I thought that was the point of wireless car play.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #66
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
But iPhones use a NFC sim card. Not actual NFC from the device.
What does that have to do with anything? It's still limited by the operating system.
Appreciate 0