BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Well, I hate to have to post this but our trusty 1er took a nice hit ( about 40 mph) from the rear end. On a freeway interchange traffic stopped pretty quickly. I was able to stop and avoid an accident but not the lady behind us.

She came out of the car with her phone on and in hand (thanks lady).

In the process of seeing if it's totalled. Our local dealer thinks so. Insurance is currently hashing it out.

People, stay off your phones when driving. Please.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
That sucks. It doesn't look like much damage past the tail light and bumper. Hopefully the unibody wasn't damaged...
      01-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
That sucks. It doesn't look like much damage past the tail light and bumper. Hopefully the unibody wasn't damaged...
Hopefully not. That's our biggest worry is maybe some kind of frame damage but we'll see.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The decision from the insurance company about totaling the car is a simple equation that not everybody understands. On one side of the equation is the cost of the repair. On the other side is the value of the car MINUS to parts they can sell from the totaled car. So a limited area of damage that gives them lots of parts they can sell (or a higher salvage value for the car from the place that will sell the parts) can get you totaled even if the damage is not a lot. A low residual is bad news too.

My daughter had the Hyundai I bought her totaled by her employer, State Farm, when it was about 2 years old. She hydroplanned on a bridge and hit the sides with both the front and the back end. But the 4 doors were good, the glass was all good, and the drivetrain was fine. Residual was fairly high (for a Hyundai) but salvage value was also pretty high and they totaled it. She knew how the calculate it and just bought another one, this time in the color she really wanted (we took what they had because she wanted it quickly when I bought her first one).

So when you are guessing about what is going to happen, remember the salvage part of the equation. If residual is low and salvage value is not enough lower to cover the repair cost, they will total.
      01-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Sucks.

I had the same thing happen when I had my Ford Focus. I was driving towards an intersection with a traffic light. Started braking because it was red but then turned green before I got there. The opposite traffic started to proceed through the light. The lead car started to drift over towards me crossing the double yellow. I thought the idiot would realize they were drifting but that thought went away after about a second when the car kept coming at me. I tried to swerve to the right to avoid the car with my horn blaring. I could only go so far to the right because there was a huge snow bank from the recent snow storm and the plows.

Just before the bang, the car is now right up on me and I can see clearly into the car. It was some stupid F'ing woman staring down at her cell phone. She didn't even look up until the moment of the impact. She tried to jerk her car to her right but it was too late. Bang. She creamed the left front corner of my car. The impact was hard enough to send her bumper cover flying about 20 feet down road.

I was royally pissed. Had to climb out the passenger side because the driver's door was wedged by the fender being pushed back. It took all of my energy to not beat the piss out of her. I didn't even say anything to her. Just walked away so I wouldn't do something I would be arrested for and called the cops.

Cops arrived and cited her with two violations. I can't remember what the violations are now since this was many many years ago. One of her relatives showed up and talked to me saying they're insured..blah blah. I didn't say much to him because I was still pissed. And I was driving on that road to get my car to the dealership for some warranty work. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Sorry to hear that happened man.
If it is totaled, get another 1er!
      01-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

The only thing that bothers me more than lack of cell phone & driving laws is having those laws and no enforcement. Texas enacted a law past Sep and it's a joke.
      01-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Well, I hate to have to post this but our trusty 1er took a nice hit ( about 40 mph) from the rear end. On a freeway interchange traffic stopped pretty quickly. I was able to stop and avoid an accident but not the lady behind us.

In the process of seeing if it's totalled. Our local dealer thinks so. Insurance is currently hashing it out.

UPDATE:

Car was deemed a total loss by our insurance. Just waiting on payout. We said our final goodbyes yesterday.

The car will live on somewhere else when the parts are all auctioned out.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 05:29 AM   #9
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

UPDATE:

Car was deemed a total loss by our insurance. Just waiting on payout. We said our final goodbyes yesterday.

Geeze that is terrible to lose it in such a way
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

Quote:
UPDATE:

Wow, sorry to hear. I'm surprised it was totaled, the damage really doesn't look to be that extensive...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Sorry to hear as well. And I agree that it doesn't look bad enough to be totaled, but we can't see what's going on behind that bumper cover. Interested in hearing the details about the damage.
      01-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Sorry to hear as well. And I agree that it doesn't look bad enough to be totaled, but we can't see what's going on behind that bumper cover. Interested in hearing the details about the damage.
I should've taken pictures of it. There was actually a good amount of damage.

What's funny is I know how much the shop quoted to fix it. The settlement check we received was well above the repair quote.

I guess the insurance figured they could make more money on the car parting it out than just fixing it...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #13
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Sorry for your loss; as already said, get another one.

Just wondering what 2 good zenon headlights go for with all the accessories.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #14
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Sorry for your loss; as already said, get another one.

Just wondering what 2 good zenon headlights go for with all the accessories.
It was my sister's car, and right now she's probably going to opt to get something a little bit cheaper and easier to maintain until she could afford something like this. Just a smart financial decision.

Now if it was me and my 335i, different story
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #15
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

The insurance company isn't going to screw with it. They'll just dump it to Co-Parts or something similar. You can visit the yard and bid on it when they auction it off.

The 135i doesn't have much value in the marketplace, so it doesn't take much damage to total the whole car. Your car might not have been very expensive to fix. The bumper looks bad, but that damage can be repaired just using a heat gun. Of course, frame and suspension damage is another story. In your case, replacing the subframe and some suspension parts isn't all that expensive either.

Take a look at the repairs done to an Audi R8 and a late model 911:

It's quite remarkable how some very expensive rides are bought back to life by a fairly handy DIY guy!
Appreciate 0